transporting meat??

What everyone said about keeping it COOL....and do consider the legalities of how it must be tagged to transport.

Beyond that know that beef is often "aged" for 25-30 days before it is eaten. Lots of articles on the web about aging beef and mind you I am not suggesting you let what you shoot get a month old before eating it or freezing it.

What I am suggesting though is that there is not nearly the level of panic to get meat frozen or used as we think there is so long as it was handled properly from the start......meaning cooling it fast and keeping it that way.

I haven't hunted deer in years, 8 to be exact. Can't draw a damned tag. :mad: When I did though, I uslly gutted it ans skinned it out, then hung it in a game bag at night, rapped a sleeping bag around it diring the dat util it was time to go home. Most of the time I helped my wife get her animal first, then tried for my deer. We just about always brought two deer home and they were fine.
My guided antelope hunt in New Mexico was a bit different. The guide service quartered the animal and packed it with dry ice. They iuse some cardboard to insulate the meat from contact with the dry ice to prevent freezer burn. I got to my daughter's home in Albuquerque where I found a shop that would do the cutting and wrapping plus freezing the meat.
On the two New Mexico elk hunts, one in 2010 and the other this last January, there is an outfit that sets up for the entire hunting season to cut,wrap and freeze hunter's elk. They do a very nice job and I consider it money well spent. When they get your animl, the rip the hide off and get it into a cooler thata's just a hair warmer than freezing. The hang it for about 24 hours before they butcher it. Once butchered that quick freeze it and hold it for another 24 hours at which time you pat for the jod, load it into the coolers and go on home. I like that system just fine. Works our very nicely for this old geezer. :D
Paul B.

Also check with state, and federal game laws. A frind, and his group were busted for having all the meat from a Wyoming antilope hunt packed in coolers without either being processed by a commercial processor, and properly marked, or having each individual tag with each animal.
They thought It was a great idea to work most of the night cutting up their own animals, and save the $30 per animal cost of a processor. Their collective fines were a bit over what they saved. But the Federal Fish and Game agent that busted them in the roadblock said he would do them a favor, and let them keep the meat.

Cheapshooter,

There must be something else to the story. It is 100% legal for a license holder to transport properly tagged game meat across state lines.

I suspect that the carcass tag was not accompanying the meat, or that the hunter was not with the tag.

Or there was too much meat for the number of tags involved.

If transporting any game across state lines, it is a good idea to get an interstate game tag from the State where the game was killed, just for added protection. An IGT will also permit someone who did not kill the animal, and who doesn't have a valid carcass coupon, to transport game parts.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1000179.aspx

Under the Lacey Act, it is unlawful to import, export, sell, acquire, or purchase fish, wildlife or plants that are taken, possessed, transported, or sold: 1) in violation of U.S. or Indian law, or 2) in interstate or foreign commerce involving any fish, wildlife, or plants taken possessed or sold in violation of State or foreign law.
http://www.fws.gov/international/laws-treaties-agreements/us-conservation-laws/lacey-act.html

Beyond that know that beef is often "aged" for 25-30 days before it is eaten. Lots of articles on the web about aging beef and mind you I am not suggesting you let what you shoot get a month old before eating it or freezing it.

What I am suggesting though is that there is not nearly the level of panic to get meat frozen or used as we think there is so long as it was handled properly from the start......meaning cooling it fast and keeping it that way.

Having hunted pronghorn in northern NV (real close to Eastern OR) in August where temps hit upper 80s during the day, getting that meat cooled AND QUICK was paramount to prevent it from being ruined; however, I have also hunted mulies in December with snow on the ground and temps in the 30s......

so, it really depends on what he is hunting and WHEN

Wyoredman said:
If transporting any game across state lines, it is a good idea to get an interstate game tag from the State where the game was killed, just for added protection. An IGT will also permit someone who did not kill the animal, and who doesn't have a valid carcass coupon, to transport game parts.

I was going to point that out as well. ;)

Wyoming state law also doesn't allow game to leave their borders without a permit. Failure to obtain one can result in fines, confiscation, or worse.

The only reasons to get busted for failing to comply are:
1. Failing to read the regulations.
2. Intentionally disregarding the regulations.
Neither is acceptable. :rolleyes:

Yep.
Aging is done at 34 to 38 degrees Fahrenheit (optimally), with certain special cases done at up to 44 degrees F. But, if you don't get it cooled down, to begin with... the meat isn't aging, it's rotting. However, most venison lacks the appropriate enzymes for 'aging' to be effective, anyway. So, it's really a moot point.
Somewhere in this forum (last year), I provided a few comparisons of venison's time-to-rot for different 'aging' temperatures, but my search-foo isn't turning up any results right now.

Meat doesn't "age" it IS rotting; however some controlled rotting under ideal conditions can lead to the tasty $50 filets in the steakhouse, or the tasty game meat in the freezer

I'm looking forward to the hunt report. I live out in the corner of Polk county Oregon and I've been considering a guided hunt in eastern Oregon some time in the next couple years...

Way back when, I turned wrenches in Baker, OR one year and it seems every other guy I knew there went hunting. Being from the Valley, I didn't know where to go so I didn't bother...

Tony

Back