Transporting firearms

Thank you. I'm making notes on all of this great info.

Knives are another thing. It will be nice to have a nice little folder on me once down there. Like many I don't carry one in NYC to avoid complications.

overthinking

Yes...I do believe there is a bit of "overthinking" involved.
Question: what would you be doing that you would get stopped by the police?
Question: what would you be doing that a LEO would want to search your car? What probable cause would they have?

Answers: If you are driving carefully and lawfully, then you will not get stopped.
Even if stopped, there is no reason for a search......NEVER offer information
If you are driving carefully and have your car properly documented, there is no probable cause for a search.
Note: if you are licensed in NYC, it is illegal for you to take firearms out of the City without first informing NYPD and getting permission. Of course, you would not be in violation until you left the City...at which time you would no longer be in City jurisdiction. Go figure.
I travel between homes in NYC and PA regularly.....for decades....I have never yet been stopped. It is possible but I doubt it.
Pete

Bill's Outpost in Alcoa (20 mi. south) is another good one, as is J. Floyds Golf and Guns in Sevierville (25 mi. east).

IIRC, doesn't Bud's Guns have a store in Sevierville near the Smokey Mountain knife works?

Take the Scenic Route

NYS thru PA to WV.
You should endeavor to avoid NJ and MD.
Congratulations on relocating !

I live in NJ, go shooting regularly, attend living history events as a reenactor.
Never had a problem. Guns in cases, since I have a station wagon, covered with a sleeping bag. No gun stickers on the car. Drive carefully, conservatively, obey the laws-no problems. CCWs here extremely rare, issued by Superior Court judges, AFAIK not cross referenced with DLs and vehicle registrations.

Not to keep dragging this out, but I just looked at google maps and I-78 to I-81 would be my route. However, I-78 goes through NJ. There is no way to avoid NJ with I-78. Am I missing something obvious?

Fuzzy Dice said:
Not to keep dragging this out, but I just looked at google maps and I-78 to I-81 would be my route. However, I-78 goes through NJ. There is no way to avoid NJ with I-78. Am I missing something obvious?
No, you're not missing anything. Since you have a valid NY permit, the safer route would be a bit longer (but mostly a nice drive) -- north on I-87 to I-84, then west on I-84 and pick up I-81 South in Scranton.

Overthink

You worry too much. You will be in NJ for about 80 minutes. Are you a careful driver? Is your car inspected? Registered? Insured?
If yes, yes, yes, yes, then you have no reason to worry.
Besides, it is not illegal to do as you have planned.
http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

Last edited:
You worry too much

Exactly - don't toss your empty beer cans at the cop car by the side of the road and you'll be fine. It isn't like they have some magical powers that says - GUN OWNER! as you drive by.

New Jersey State Police: This

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/index.shtml

Has a link to this:

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:

The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.
This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:
The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;
The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;
The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose
The firearm is unloaded
The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
The person is not
a convicted felon
a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or
an illegal alien
The person has not
been adjudicated to be a mental defective
been committed to a mental institution
been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or
renounced his United States Citizenship
A person who is transporting a firearm though the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by person's possession 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, see Section II above, need not give notice.
Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms
An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.
In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person's possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person's possession is permitted by that federal law.
If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person's possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.
Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.
Pay particular attention to the part about keeping the firearm "and" ammunition in a locked container. They are purporting to cite the FOPA, but the FOPA says the firearm "or" ammunition must be in a locked container. But this is directly from the NJSP web site, so it's reasonable to assume that this is what they have been trained to believe the FOPA requires. So the safe bet is to lock all firearms in gun cases, and lock any ammo in a separate, lockable container (such as a cheap toolbox). Of course, if you drive a sedan with a trunk, you're covered.

Since this is on the NJSP web site, carrying a couple of printed copies might be helpful IF stopped and questioned. In NJ I would worry much more about the local police and the "county mounties." Stay on the Interstate and you shouldn't encounter anyone other than state troopers.

I know I keep chiming in saying thank you but I sincerely appreciate all of the input I've gotten and will be making notes so I can travel properly with my firearms when the time comes.

So thank you again folks.

I just moved from Ct to Fl in November. I simply packed my firearms (6 revolvers and a shotgun)and ammo (maybe 2000 rounds total) in my small cargo trailer and drove, stopping for 2 nights in a motel.
No muss no fuss, no big deal.

Back