Transitioning from Point shoot to Front sight

buzz_knox said:
You can't focus on more than one thing, but you can see things you aren't focused on. We sort of can't function unless we were able to do so. Focus on your front sight and you can still see your target.

You're right. However, it works from the other direction as well. If you can "be aware" of the target while looking through your sights, why can't you "be aware" of your sights while looking at the target?
It really comes down to defining "sights" as either the little things on top of your slide with the white dots OR defining "sights" as whatever visual input you use to get rounds where you want them.

Lurper -
I watched that thread develop on TFF and I must say that I agree with you on several points. One is that if you're fast enough looking through the sights then there isn't much of an argument for learning another technique that doesn't buy you a significant advantage. However, I tend to acknowledge that while certain shooters can do this the majority cannot...at least unless they are willing to train as extensively as you have.
Additionally, a common complaint among MOST people is that they just don't have the time or money to put into that kind of training. The middle ground lives in the gray area of point-shooting. All things being equal, solid point-shooting skills allow 90% of the people out there to get hits much much quicker - it's the 80/20 rule.

Now, since this is a competition thread - I have to admit that I (personally) don't think I would suggest that a hard-core competition shooter should do anything other than train the way they're going to shoot. There are others who are far more advanced in skill in the Threat-Focused arena that could probably help explain point-shooting's role in competition, but that person is not me. My vote is to train to use your sights for this specific type of thing.
That said, I'm not a competition shooter...so I have zero experience in that kind of thing. I hang out in here sometimes so I can get a better understanding

The only reason I made the comment about it being the same old debate is because I saw a couple of common misconceptions about point-shooting being voiced, and I like to try to clear the table when I can just so we're all speaking the same language.

Good advice for Dux, by the way. I second that.

Last edited:
Awesome suggestions guys....

Lurper and team -

I went through an IPSC competition last Sunday at Fredricksburg VA, and there were 7 stages. The first 4 stages I went point shooting, and my scores went to the toilet. My times were blazingly fast but the accuracy was terrible especially after 9 feet.

Upon remembering this thread, I decided to returned to sighted shooting on the last 3 stages. My scores immediately improved, and in one of the stages, I experienced this weird tunnel vision on where I "knew" where the target was, but my focus was on the sight - it was really being in some sort of zone. Anyway - needless to say, it was a good practical learning experience.

Thanks for the help! Keep it coming.

Back