Training With Steel or Paper?

I have trained with steel up close but I always used frangible ammunition, If I don't have the $$ for frangible, I use paper targets. The advantage of shooting steel IMO is that you know when you miss and can correct immediately. With paper you have to count holes after your run, but even then if you generally know when you may have missed.

*added* I don't want this to be misinterpreted, frangible training ammo is generally cheaper than regular xm193, If i did not have the money for it, I used my reloads with cheap pulled bullets and fired at paper targets.

a bullet leaves an impact mark on the steel target (frangible also), a quick cover up with flat black spray paint gives you a new target

Cowboy action shooters do it at ridiculously close distances all the time,,,

I only briefly tried Cowboy Action, all the up close shooting I did was at a paper target.

Last edited:
Steel Targets

Several years ago I was shooting alot of steel with lead 45 acps,no problem. Probably shot as close as 10 yds or so. One day I shot 12 ga low recoil buckshot and it started to rain slightly so in my haste to finish up I stayed at approx 15 yds or so and a fragment came back ,hit me in the side of my head and entered and traveled a couple of inches inside alongside my skull. Had to go to Hospital and they had to remove fragment which looked like a bb with a point on it. Anyway I just hoped it would not cause trouble for the private range and evidently the Hospital didn't report it as a gunshot. The hsp didn't do a great job so after a while had to go to another surgeon for a cleaner fix. I still shoot steel but not with a shotgun. Just be very careful. I try to stay at least 15 yds away with pistol and always wear at least eye protection and anything else would be helpful. Just a little story to remind ourselves not to get too comlacement.By the way I was using 500 Brinell Hardness steel in excellent condition with no craters in it. Just a footnote. Steel was not angled but was held onto post by a long bolt with long spring and could move slightly when hit so I don't know how that played into the picture.Most of the time a see the splttered lead at the foot of the steel whwn cleaning up.

Last edited:
Frangible ammo is the safe route but don't know the cost since it has always been provided to me. Keep in mind many Police ranges and training facilities do not allow metal engagements for training with other than frangible. There is a tremendous richache factor shooting metal. I know there are published guides on the minimum safe distance to shoot metal. In the pre-frangible days I got hit a couple times with close range "bounce back" and was happy I had a vest on.

I run local 3 gun and idpa type matches at my local range, We shoot steel with handguns as close as 7 yards with shotguns as well. Occasionally we will get small bits of jacket come back and bite us but its never serious and we all wear eye protection. Of course our plates ar AR500 type steel. Rifle rounds on steel are never shot any closer than 75 yards.

Eye protection is a must. I don't know about close up steel. I had my chin split by a bounce back. Didn't know till folks told me my beard was turning red.

I've seen 45 ACP bounce off a tire and give someone a righteous whack on his chest, close up.

Your 7.62 will shoot the steel to doll rags in short order at close range.
Next the steel when badly cratered splatters back even if angled.

Cardboard silhouettes may be a better option for the rifle.

We shoot 2 and 3 gun matches at our Club. We have a a Rimfire Division in the 2 Gun. Lots of AR-22's in use, as well as the 1911-22's. I shoot both rimfire and centerfire AR15's. I totally disagree about the 22 not being a good training tool. I also shoot a 442 and have an LCR 22 for practice. You can shoot up a brick of 22 for $20. You can get in some serious trigger time for your money spent. I find the trigger time with a 22 out weighes any similarity of recoil concerns.

Bob

I've had bounce backs draw blood and have seen other guys catch a bit of XTP jacket from time to time. They aren't as dangerous as a ricochet, but they can cut or sting. Thick steel pock marked by .223 has got to be the worst offender is generally agreed on. We set those steels farther back. Smooth steel seems to just splatter our reloads with plated bullets, and we laugh about painting with lead. I think it's another reason to reload.

Back