Training to recognize entire threat.

Judgment shooting drills are used to train an officer in shoot/don't shoot situations. Among the best are the FATS system which has a video screen. The officer's gun has a laser (to show the point of impact). Depending on the officer's action, the trainer can control the actions of the images on the screen.

Had one where there's a disturbance at a home. You go up the stairs and hear an argument. Once in the bedroom, you see the man with the knife threatening a woman. Several outcomes. He charges her and you must shoot him before he stabs her. You may assert verbal commands and he either complies or attacks you. Say he complies, the woman victim pulls a handgun out to shoot him and now you must shoot her.

Recognizing the entire threat is a pipe dream

I have to agree with this. We tend to focus on the threat with tunnel vision.

You see it all the time at the range. Here is an example proving my point.

Frist, understand that point shooting is nothing more then pointing your finger at the target. To teach point shooting you first have people use the hand only and bring it up quickly pointing at the target, then move to the gun, as you draw the gun the trigger finger is along the slide or just under the cylinder of a revolver.

So try this. Stand two to three yards from the target. If the target isn't a threat target , such as a USPSA target most people shoot just below center mass, which is OK, they tend to point, and shoot where they are looking.

Now try the same thing using a threat target. One with a bandit holding a gun or knife. Now do some point shooting. You'll notice the shots tend to go toward the picture of the gun or knife. That's where you're looking and in point shooting you tend to point where you're looking.

Its natural to look at the treat. So we tend to have tunnel vision, regardless of what you read here, you concentrate on the threat.

If you do this when not under stress, such as at the range, what makes us think we wont do this under stress.

Sure its nice to know whats going on around you, but do we really when understress.

Great post wyosmith, lots of things to think about there. I will make sure to read that again tomorrow and discuss it with my wife. We have been shooting for awhile, cc for only 7 month, and just now started to actually train ourselves and create plans for different situations. I am great at shooting targets, awesome even. But, qhen we start to think about different scenarios, I realize how much I don't know. I can't begin to piece together what the other guys intentions or motives are, or what he will be thinking next. The more I think about scenarios, the more paranoid I get, I have resorted to having two guns when i sleep, one visible and one on the side of the bed. It sounds črazy, but I think if the BG believes he got my sidearm, I may have a chance if I have another. Point is, I just have no idea what someone else will be thinking, or more importantly, how am I going to react. Its this bad and I am only running through scenarios in my house, haven't even thought about outside the home, well outside of a face to face robbery. For now, if the situation doesn't involve my family or me personally, I will be running away crying like a 9 year old and try not to wet my panties.

Back