Training handgun

Ruger Mark III 22/45 was my first pistol and I still love it to this day! Just wish I could find a lower with the swap-able hand grips for a decent price.

Thanks for all the informed replies, Mates. I have a few of the guns mentioned. Lots of good options so I'll figure out something.

In a revolver look at an SP101 3" or 4.2" in 327 Magnum. He can start with 32 S&W Long and then 32 H&R magnum and then 327 Federal Magnum.

Semi auto get a 9mm and a 22lr conversion. Can learn the mechanics of a semi and then move on to 9mm and 9mm+P.

About 3 months ago, I gave a review of a new firearm after taking it to the range for it's first shooting. On that day, I shot 200 rds of 380. Thought nothing of the amount of ammo. I have been shooting a combinations of that amount of 9mm and 380 now about twice weekly for years.
But those days are over. And they will be for a long time. I do not have a crystal ball, but predicted exactly what is going on now for a very time. And NO I am not talking about the virus.

So, I have adapted to still going twice a week but now shooting 22.cal. I will not go into my 380 and 9mm stash that I have been saving for years. Way too precious of a commodity to do so. But I have to keep up my Skill level. Most especially point and shoot.
So enter the 22.cal Recently bought a LCP 22. to go along with my SR22, LCR22 and

Here is a picture of three months ago.
eVsR9lf.jpg
TRzgiXB.jpg

I have a very big supply of 22.cal, but have bought a additional 10,000 rds in the last few months. And what is my prediction? Well, I am already seeing the trend. Give in a few a month and you will see very little 22.cal. for sale.

What then. Air pistols. Already buying a many pellets as possible.

Example Khar P380 now shooting LCP22
LCR9mm now shooting LCR22

tUXzirC.jpg

I'm all for training with a .22 pistol,,,
It's cheap so allows for more trigger time.

I'm not an advocate of using the single-action target style pistols though,,,
Ruger Marks, Browning Buckmarks, S&W Victory, etc are all fine guns,,,
But I go for training with something resembling a carry weapon.

Earlier someone mentioned the S&W M&P 22 or the Taurus TX22,,,
They both function like striker fired center-fires.

Another great trainer would be the Ruger SR-22,,,
It functions exactly like SA/DA exposed hammer center-fires.

I own and love to shoot several of the single-action target style pistols,,,
They are hard to beat for inherent accuracy and high fun factor,,,
But let those be later acquisitions.

For the first handgun, get a .22 that approximates a desired carry weapon.

Aarond

I personally don't care for using a .22 to train - or even practice with.
IMHO - it teaches bad habits.

The low cost of the .22 ammunition - leads to the habit of thinking, "Oh well, I flubbed a shot. It's only a .22 so - no big deal".

On the other hand, anyone shooting real expensive premium self-defense ammunition is going to take the time to cross all the "Ts" and dot all the "Is' - in order to teach discipline.
( it doesn't have to be the expensive premium SD stuff - but - I don't feel there's any harm in not telling them that - for the time being)

Plus - over the years I've found that new shooters get real tired of the .22 real fast & try to rush things along just to get to the next step.

I fell the best compromise is - to use a limited amount of 9mm or .38 spl., so the newer shooter knows that when it's gone, the fun is over.

Once they've developed decent habits, then drag out the .22 and the brick of "shoot'em-up" and have a ball. By that time, the new shooter shoulld be up to trying some real challenging shots.

Train with a .22 LR. To put a shot in the X-ring, regardless of the caliber, the basic fundamentals of pistol shooting are still required. Stance, grip, sight picture, trigger press, and follow through are the same when shooting a .22 LR, a 9mm or a .45acp. Don't totally ignore the larger calibers, but train mostly with the .22 LR.
I agree. 22 LR definitely. Inexpensive so he can shoot a lot, accurate as anything and more so than most. Next I would say TRIGGER PULL. If it doesn't have a nice trigger he will never shoot accurately regardless how much practice, and if he intends to master a DA trigger that's another whole bucket of snakes. Personally I have no use for any DA gun other than a DA/SA gun for that first quick shot. I do not even try to shoot DA accurately ... after untold hours and thousands of rounds trying I have simply hung an "Impossible" label on it and don't even waste my time trying any more.

But whatever type of 22 he picks, it should closely resemble characteristics of guns of whatever larger calibers he is likely to migrate to. Training with the most accurate gun I have ever shot (my Ruger MKIII Competition) is useless for anything else because it doesn't resemlbe anything else. I love my 45ACP 1911 but I train with a Walther full-size 22 1911. I often carry a Bersa Thunder 380 but train with a Bersa Thunder 22. You get the idea.

I did not learn to shoot a handgun until I practiced Bullseye with my High Standard Victor and lately I have found the Ciener units make for low cost practice. I recommend the CZ with their Kadet unit in a factory package.

Back