Training handgun

Coppershot

I need a training handgun for my 15 year old son. He has shot rifles in .22LR, .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, and .223/5.56. He has hunted with a 16 gauge (nice Belgian A-5) and shot clays with a Win. Model 42 .410.

In handguns he has shot .22LR, 38 spc., 357 Sig, 45 ACP, and 45LC. He is great shot and enjoys hunting. I do not much mind whether the handgun is a revolver or semi-auto, but am leaning towards a semi-auto (don't really know why).

I would like to keep the recoil down. I hand load plenty of calibers and can always get new dies for a cartridge that I currently do not reload.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a training handgun? My problem is that I have so many guns that I am always handing him something different. I would like him to have one that is his "own" and that he can shoot on a regular basis, just for practice. If you ask, training for what? I would say just plain 'ole target practice. Perhaps I should say I am looking for a practice handgun rather than a "training" one. I am open to rimfire or centerfire. Thanks, Mates.

Last edited:
My 15 yo grandson shoots my .38 Colt DS, a .357 S&W m19, and my Governor in .410, 45ACP, and 45C, but his favorite handgun is my EDC - an S&W double action only Model 3953.

He's shot many other 9mm and .40s in my S&W Gen3 collection too, but he says the single stack 3953 fits his hand best, has a nice balance, and the half-cocked trigger once a round is chambered reminds him of the great Model 19 trigger.

Hand fit is an important factor for pistol selection. A poor grip only makes skills-building more difficult.

I might add that the DAO model helps him transition from pistol to revolver without difficulty.

In handguns he has shot 22lr, 38 spc., 357 Sig, 45 ACP, and 45LC.

So how did he do and what does he think about those? What else has he seen in stores, gun shows, pictures, that interests him?

My judgement wasn't the best at age 15, and my Dad wasn't an enthusiast, but we figured it out. I still have and shoot my third and fourth pistols from 60 years ago. (No. 1 was a Luger, not a good choice. It later went to a collector after the supply of Canadian surplus ammo dried up. Nos. 2, 3, and 4 were .22s; no. 2 traded in on no. 4.)

My soon-to-be 13-year old recently requested a 9mm for Christmas. He enjoys shooting my Sig P210 and XDM and even tolerates the Shield. I, too, want to get him something different. I've been think something DA/SA in stainless like a Beretta 92 or CZ75 or maybe a Ruger or Charter revolver.

BTW, (in case you had a confused look on your face) he is an oversized 12-year old. He is nearly 6 feet tall already with hands much larger than mine.

Good point on grip requirements. He wears a large shooting glove but can go XL. His favorites have been a Sig P226; Colt Trooper MK III (38 spc.); S & W Mod. 327 (again, shooting 38 spl.); S&W M & P 22. He is not too fond of the Glock trigger.

Train with a .22 LR. To put a shot in the X-ring, regardless of the caliber, the basic fundamentals of pistol shooting are still required. Stance, grip, sight picture, trigger press, and follow through are the same when shooting a .22 LR, a 9mm or a .45acp. Don't totally ignore the larger calibers, but train mostly with the .22 LR.

My training 22LR suggestions would be the M&P 22 or the Taurus TX22. They both operate identically to a centerfire striker fired handgun, so later transition should be simple.

Having said that, he is big enough to handle anything at this point....in which case he could consider a full sized or duty sized 9mm which should serve well for training and practice purposes and will also transition well to home or personal defense as he gets older. In that area, I'd have him looking at M&P, G19/17, PPQ, VP9, P320, FN509, etc. Go with whichever seems to feel best to him.

How about a 22 conversion unit ? Lately I have been shooting Ciener units on my Browning HP and M1911 frames.

Toss up between the Ruger and the Browning Buckmark. Both are good guns with different grips angle/feel. Take him to the gun shop and get his input after he handles them.

For high volume shooting, a .22, my favorite is my Ruger MK II with a 5” Bull Barrel, stainless Target model. Lighting match sticks at 10 yds is a blast. When I was much younger and had great eyesight I could routinely hit gophers out to 30 yds and on a good day out to 60 yds. Boy was that a long time ago, about 40 years. For a moderate amount of shooting a nice semi auto 9mm, too many nice ones but my favorite is my CZ75SA.

. I've got a Ruger Mk IV Hunter. If that's a good option I don't need to buy another firearm.

You can't shoot the same gun at the same time unless you buy him one of his own.;) :D

I want one is the best reason I have for getting some of my guns. My next purchase will be a "because I want it". Unless my wife asks....then it is a training gun for the boys.;)

I would consider a compact or duty sized 9mm auto or 22lr. I have and really enjoy a S&W M&P22 Compact. It's a great shooter and super reliable, but the light weight makes precision shots a challenge(for me anyway). I also LOVE my MKIII 22/45. It is incredibly accurate and in stainless, is a nice looker. In 9mm, I would look at a an M&P or maybe a Canik. I would look at low maintenance, modern pistols. They'll have finishes and materials that will hold up better to neglect. I'm not implying that your son will neglect it, but kids are kids.

I'm with Mike38 and would recommend a browning buckmark or a ruger mkIV. In my opinion both guns are equally reliable and accurate. Since this are single stack autos it should fit his hand quite nicely. This is what I use for weak hand shooting as well. Since he is only 15 and I don't know if he works part time this will be easy on your wallet for ammo as well.

The S&W MP22 is a great idea for a trainer. It has a very similar feel to the bigger calibers of the MP line. The Tarus has also garnered some serious attention in terms of performing/handling exactly like a poly semi auto.

Back