Training for C&L carry?

I have only carried one handgun with a safty engaged. It was a 1911 that I carried for 5 years daily cocked and locked. I trained a lot at draw, and fire drills. I still every now and again to keep the edge take it to the range to stay familiar with it.

My draw stroke is a bit different than most. I do not lift to draw. It is more of a shove back with my elbow, as my wrist pops up, the pop up motion with my thumb on the safty disengages the safty as the gun is leveled at belly level. Non dominat hand meets dominat hand in the middle if that chance happens. I do a lot of training just one handed from the ready position for the preperation that somehow someone got that close, and I have to shoot to get them off of me.

"Booger hook off the bang switch" and whatnot:)

Just recently started carrying a C&L capable auto, previous carry was da/sa.

Holster is new, and so is quite snug - making for a bit of a tough draw (you really gotta yank). For practice, I make the conscious effort to keep my index finger right along the frame above the trigger guard and apply the necessary force to the grip with my other 3 fingers to draw. Then aim/point and disengage safety with thumb and, lastly, move my fingertip into the trigger.

Not to hijack, but if anyone has any idea how to (inexpensively) loosen up a leather Don Hume owb holster, please let me know:)

Stressfire, put a sheet of wax paper around your pistol, then put it into the holster and leave it overnight.

Stressfire, put a sheet of wax paper around your pistol, then put it into the holster and leave it overnight.

That and wear it in, by drilling (practicing repetetively) ...... which you should be doing anyhow.

Wax paper? Huh, would not have thought that, I did the bit 'o water and a baggie for the initial fitting, but never heard the wax paper thing. Waxy side towards leather?

Back