Training a teenager

^Yes, a single-shot is the way to learn. My rifle, an Ithaca, was handicapped, relative to those of my friends, by having open sights (they all had peeps) and a very short stock, because it had been whittled down to fit me at age 8. But, my friends were always impressed by how that rifle could shoot (the rifle, not me, always got the credit, of course).

+1 for hunter ed, its required by law in VA. My 13 year old has been shooting rimfire rifle/revolver for about two years now, supervised of course. i'm about to turn him loose with those before I put him with something bigger. So far so good

A. At 16, you've started 10 years too late.
B. A handgun-any handgun- is not the best choice. Start with a 22 rifle that can be single loaded.
C. A Hunter education class might be a good start unless you're a very experienced shooter.
D. Public ranges are a poor place to start-too much distraction.
E. Lack of patience is a teenager's downfall. They think they can do anything and be a "pro" immediately-that's when mistakes happen and a mistake with a gun is NOT the same as falling off a skateboard.

I have two girls and to be honest they never had an interest. That changed a few weeks back when they asked me what I was going to do with my guns. I never thought about it. I have a combined 51 of them. I said they could have them which lead into them wanting to learn how to shoot.

I really never taught anyone prior. But today I took my 24 year old for her first lesson. I'm lucky we shoot right at the farm. I brought out the Sig 380. The first half hour we just reviewed gun Safety along with learning how to safely handle the pistol unloaded.

It is amazing how everything comes back to properly teach some one. There is a large list to cover and practice prior to even loading round one. Way to much to go into details.

Long store short I started her out at 10 yards. We were in no rush. She put all 10 into a very nice group. Later we moves to 25 yards and as expect one hit in the target.

She now wants a protection permit (cc for our state)

I explained I would support this but she needed far more time to learn to make safety second nature and how to handle the weapon.

Now I suspect maturity has a lot to do with teaching and ha ING it stick. But for me all the safety procedures flowed naturally. Being able to transfer this knowledge was great.

IT is going to take more time for me to feel she is trained correctly but we have a good start.

Now what I did do prior was read up on how to train a new shooter first. I mean I know everything but it never hurts as the trainer to study to make sure you teach correctly

My method has been developed around young ladies, but I think would work on young men too.

First watch them. There is an age where they are parent focused, can listen and can learn...with girls, there are like 3-5 of these in their 0-19 years

First, teach them about respecting guns, knives and other weapons...basically, the Eddie the Eagle type stuff.

Then show them basic safe handling and the 4 rules....for starters, make SURE you apply the 4 rules perfectly as they will model you. Really talk them through this with a triple checked unloaded gun in their hands

Next is controlled marksmanship. Get them to a range with a gun in their hand. You control the gun 100% at first and gradually ween yourself off of control.

Last is applied marksmanship or practical shooting. As their marksmanship and handling skills improve, practical handling skills can be built up. This is tough. People always want to jump to this, but lack the fundamentals!

Last edited:
Back