Training a teenager

My son is now old enough (16 years) that I feel it is time for him to start learning to shoot.

What I mean is a working, general knowledge of firearms. Not necessarily hunting or competition, just the basics that most of us learned growing up in the non-PC era.

A few questions I am posing to the forum here:
  1. Is training him up on a small weapon like a .22 pistol the right way to get started?
  2. 2. Is it worthwhile to put him through a formal basic firearms course?

I know it's probably a judgment call, but I am interested in input from folks who have teenagers or who have taught teenagers.

Corollary: (probably off topic, so ignore if you want) - Why is it so difficult to get .22 LR? :)

Last edited:
A good starter !!

Personally, I would sign him up for a Hunter Ed. Safety course and build on that. .... :)

Here is what you "should" get.
1) No charge for the course.
2) Safe gun handling rules/guidelines.
3) Live fire range time on rifle, shotgun.
4) Some classes offer handgun training as well as live fire
5) State certified instructors and some are NRA.
6) A bunch of related items like the law and conservation.

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

I learned alot sooner then 16. I think it would be more difficult to train a 16 year old then a 10 or 12 year old hes got 16 years or bad action movies and video games showing him how to 'properly' handle guns. :p

Hunters ed is solid and make sure he or she understands the gravity of what a fire arm can do even a tiny .22 privacy also helps if theres no one around they are concerned about judging them they can focus on learning.

I started with a break action 20 gauge shotgun. I started my daughter shooting a BB gun at about age 8 or 9. She has moved up to a .22, but has also sort of lost interest, as things like nail polish and music got more interesting. I have a bulk pack of .22 with her name on it, just waiting for her to regain interest. :D

I agree that a Hunter's Ed course is a good way to start. I'd also recommend http://www.corneredcat.com/ (written by our very own moderator, pax) as a place with some good articles for new shooters, whether male or female. I'd also say that yes, it's worthwhile to send him to a basic firearms class. There's something to be said for getting teaching from someone other than Dear Old Dad, someone with some "distance" from him, if you know what I mean.

There's nothing wrong with a .22 pistol, but if you happen to have a bolt action .22 rifle, I'd actually start there. I think new shooters may have an easier time paying attention to where the muzzle is pointed if shooting a long gun, as opposed to a pistol.

The .22 shortage. . . . That's the rub, right there. .22 has been in very short supply for a couple of years. Why? That's the real question. Politics, market forces . . . We could debate the whys for days, but I'd just suggest that you get down to your local ammo store and see if they have anything.

I always assume handguns,,,
But these thoughts apply to long guns as well.

Is training him up on a small weapon like a .22 pistol the right way to get started?

I believe that it is,,,
Recoil will be low so he won't be fighting that,,,
And the low cost of .22 ammo (if you can find it) allows for more trigger time.

Many people have started on .38 Special and 9mm handguns,,,
But you are looking at 22 cents to 40 cents a round.

Is it worthwhile to put him through a formal basic firearms course?

It's not absolutely necessary but I see no downside to doing this,,,
It will give your son a solid foundation to start from.

Assuming the class is taught by a qualified instructor of course.

Aarond

+1 on the bolt-action .22. Lots of good quality range time for relatively little money. Plus, EVERYBODY needs at least one good .22 rifle ( I think that's one of those Biblical commandments - or at least should be).

"...who have taught teenagers..." Several hundred. Used to command a CF Army Cadet Corps(13 to 18 year olds, at the time). Teenagers are great fun, but you need to treat 'em like adults while providing some guidance.
For shooting, a great deal depends on the kid and the kid's maturity level. Some people are never ready for the responsibility.
At 16, he's a bag of hormones that eats and he may not be the least bit interested, so ask him if he wants to first. And don't get upset if he says no. If he hasn't been pestering you about it, he just may not be interested.
Some depends on his size, but that's mostly the size of his hands. Any handgun has to fit his hand just like any new shooter.
"...Why is it so difficult to get .22 LR..." Your government hates you. C'est la Guerre. snicker.

Start with a .22lr? Yes, and emphatically so.

A formal course? Maybe. A boring and poorly taught course may worse than none at all. We've all had instructors, teachers or profs who paralyzed our minds with boredom. Basic safety is too important for that kind of thing.

Kinda late but the Boy Scouts has a great program for introduction to firearms using 22lr bolt actions, they start with red ryder bb guns in cub scouts. I recommend the BB Gun first, then move up when he is ready. Shoot my son is 12 now, he puts them in the bulls eye, is great with a bow, shotgun, rifle. Hasn't shot a hand gun yet tho, leave that for last.

I ran a trap line age 12, had me a 22 on my back with a sling.

I would tell him he can start with a machine gun if he brings home straight A this semester. seriously though, any pistol caliber carbine would be great. and I would prefer any one to start with irons and then move to scope. a lever action .38 will probably be what I teach my son when he gets to that age. sure a .22 would be fine too, would help him focus on trigger control, I just don't personally like .22, so I don't own any anymore. if you are an experienced shooter, I don't see a need to take a class. I teach new shooters all the time, and at the end of the day, they go home knowing the basics and keeping on target

maybe not teach him on something semi-auto with a hair trigger though

I would start them with something more substantial than a .22. I know it's bad but sometimes you can get careless with a .22 because of it's lack of intimidation. Start them on something that is sure to hit home that guns are dangerous weapons, and though they are fun, must always be treated with respect. A breakaway shotgun, an old surplus Mosin Nagant, or a handgun are what I would suggest. I learned to shoot with a 410 shotgun when I was eight or nine, and I'm sure a 16 year old can handle a caliber greater than .22.
Also it may be beneficial to take them hunting sometime. That's how my dad taught us muzzle safety.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input

Lots of very good, respectful input.

A few thoughts in return:
1. He has definitely been bugging me about it, so I think he is really interested.:)
2. He's good at taking direction, but I'm the dad therefore bound to think that!
3. We have a .38 revolver, 9mm semi-auto, .22 bolt action rifle, .22 pump action rifle (antique!)? and a 12 gauge double-barrel shotgun to learn on.
4. I'm tempted to let him stay with the .38 revolver and .22 bolt for now.
5. Definitely going to looking at a course with certified instructors.

.22LR - accidentally found it in stock at the range the other day, but was about $9 for box of 50. Nowhere in my area seems to have it except on rare occasions.....

but was about $9 for box of 50
That's a little higher than the going rate. If you are willing to buy bulk, you can get 1400 rds of Remington Golden on Gunbroker (not exactly the place for .22LR ammo bargains) for about $150 delivered. If you watch the auctions, you might could do a little better on other brands. Internet retailers have been hit and miss with .22LR. It's getting better but still not where it needs to be. Ammo manufacturers claim they are cranking it out as fast as they can - believe it if you choose.

I don't know him, but I'd think you are a bit late .....but better late than never!

Kids 8-10 are easiest to teach, IME. Kids under 10 tend to think of adults as infallible giants, and "their" adults are stronger/smarter/better than any other ........ Once they get to be teenagers, they begin to try to do their own thing ..... and often think their parents are THE. DUMBEST. EVAR!

Do you have experience teaching people how to shoot?
How well does your son take your instruction?
If you have confidence in your instructional abilities, and think your son will take your lessons to heart, go for it!

I think the .22LR bolt-action is a great starter gun. It rather forces you to make each shot count. I'd also recommend learning on iron sights.

I learned through the Boy Scouts, and they destroyed a bottle full of water in dramatic fashion to demonstrate why you want to have good safety habits. Safety habits are by far the most important thing, in my mind. You can train out poor marksmanship relatively easily, but few people will take the time if their student is accidentally trying to kill them! (My biggest fear at public ranges is usually the guy trying to show his wife/girlfriend/buddy how to shoot, when neither of them practices safe gun handling!)

Good to start him on a .22 he will be less likely to develop flinch shooting a rifle with not much recoil. The best way to ruin a new shooter is to scare them with the first experience of getting mule kicked in the shoulder. Once he has the fundamentals down move to a larger caliber. Keep him away from the 12 gauge with the slugs at first! Lol... I learned the hard way, but gave dad a laugh!

The Boy Scouts is one way the other is the NRA Junior Marksmanship Program which is gong on right now and ther is probably a place close to you.

It also depends on size of the kid. My son shot his first USPSA on his 14th birthday. (Stupid NY laws) , shot my CZ 75 in 9mm. But then again , he's 6'1" and 200lbs. Lol.

Think of it as drivers ed. the majority of people have no problem with a kid taking that, becoming competent with firearms should be equally important.

A .22 bolt action rifle is the best firearm for first-time shooters, AND, it should be loaded one cartridge at a time! A 16 year old will probably learn faster than a 7 year old, but may be likely to be over-confident and careless. Keeping his attention focused on the safe handling of the firearm is critical.

A formal firearms training course should be well worth the time, effort and any associated costs.

Back