Tragic....

Lead, I actually agree with you. LOL

Yep he makes sense on this one. The problem with not trying to control is then you lose the funds from the Federal level. OH politic's you either love it or hate it.

There might be a good arguement here regarding if he was a rouge and out there taking on a student he did not like in uniform, then watch from a far going after said student.
Maybe the UC was drug enforcement and they were doing Coke?

Lots of what if's and what for's You can bet it will be washed over to keep the student's from knowing really what happened. Pretty tragic for a campus, usually they are going to go for their image.

I find it hard to believe that they have undercover, unless they just came to the school and then work it for a six month period and write and photo all activities and then later get warrants and serve.

Then the guy is burned and he either moves on or goes to uniform. It creates major hostility when a cop befriends then burns fellow persons doing the same thing he did. Not my choice of duty.

The above is very common in large cities where they move officers from division to division. New York and Chicago and Los Angeles have numerous
areas and most of the police have to live within just to be able to respond quickly.

When it comes to light they may hang this victim out to dry or they might back him. It will show it's ugly face pretty soon.

As I said in an earlier post, the uniformed is going to have many bad days a head hopefully he does not eat a bullet. Many of them do.

Harley

I am also a student at UCF, and I noticed today on the local News, they have still shots of the UC and his gun directly behind the head of one of the students. The school news paper and Orlando Sentinel both have several different stories due to so many different witnesses. From what I read, the bottom line is this.... Things got a little out of hand, the UC pulled his firearm and discharged a few "warning shots" to get control of the situation, OPD who had no knowledge of a UC being on duty, fired three shots and killing the UC. The only big difference b/w the Orlando Sentinel and the UCF news paper is the UCF paper indicated the UC shot the student, whereas the orlando sentinel indicated a student was shot, but they didnt speculate on who shot him.

Harley Q:
The paper also stated the UC was working in conjunction with ATF. The whole idea was to discourage underage drinking. How an undercover officer was going to implement that idea is beyond me....

I hope that the person truly responsible for this --- presumably some dumb butt university administrator gets hung out to dry as well, I agree that the overall mission --- stoping underage drinking --- is questonable to begin with, the thought of sending one guy UC or uniformed to do anything about it is so stupid it defies any reason, if it's a problem et a bunch of officers, blanket the area check ID's and round up the underage for whatever it's worth.

And as the incident stands in my mind if the UC fired warning shots, as most seem to agree, then the patrol officer acted acordingly unless there is something yet to come out, He saw an armed man behaving in a way no TRAINED LE officer would and acted to neutralize the suspect --- remember this guy had 25 years in, I'm willing to bet if a buch of other thigns were diffirent he might have made a diffirent decesion, however when you have unidentified gun holder shooting said gun recklessly at no aparent immediate threat to life, what else is one to think? In a crowded parking lot no less? ,

Why patrol the area with uniformed police officers who can let the kids know of their pressence - thus stopping things from getting out of control.... When you can just have this happen all the time?

From what I heard from some newspaper sources is that witnesses said the undercover cop NEVER announced that he was an officer or showed his badge. The "warning shots" are surely not part of department policy, and is an outright lie anyway. He did shoot a student... Not a UCF student but a Valencia community college student. If you are firing warning shots, which is a bad idea anyway, and a student is hit, something else is terribly wrong.

What might this mean for the rest of us who wish to legally defend ourselves? Think about it. A retired cop out of uniform opened up on a man who had fired 3 shots. That man was an officer presumably defending himself as the story goes... That could one day be any of us... Shooting in a perfectly legal defensive situation... Only to get splatted and killed by a nearby off duty cop... That is what opened my eyes about this situation.

Seems a very flawed UC operation

I realize I don't have all the facts, but it seems that the UC operation was the reason for this tragedy.

I agree with screwloose: Kinda lame to have a UC working alone in a crowd situation. Aggressive and highly visible patrols are a strong deterrent, and Iquestion the need for an UC operation targeting MIPs. The other officers working the event should have been notified of UC operations.

A couple of officers here got swarmed by gangbangers several years ago, and one got beaten with his own baton. They managed to retain their weapons, though, and got saved by the "cavalry". I speculate the UC in this case got swarmed, and decided to go down fighting.

As a uniformed cop working an event, when you see a disturbance in the crowd, then a gun shooting, you're going to take out the shooter.

Seems a very flawed UC operation

I realize I don't have all the facts, but it seems that the UC operation was the reason for this tragedy.

I agree with screwloose: Kinda lame to have a UC working alone in a crowd situation. Aggressive and highly visible patrols are a strong deterrent, and I question the need for an UC operation targeting MIPs. The other officers working the event should have been notified of UC operations.

A couple of officers here got swarmed by gangbangers several years ago, and one got beaten with his own baton. They managed to retain their weapons, though, and got saved by the "cavalry". I speculate the UC in this case got swarmed, and decided to go down fighting.

As a uniformed cop working an event, when you see a disturbance in the crowd, then a gun shooting, you're going to take out the shooter.

Back