Trade Opinions

I think you guys are being a little hard on the mini 14, granted it’s not the most accurate semi 223 but it is a good gun out side of that and of the two I have owned were very reliable.
But after saying that,,.,
DON’T step over to the dark side, get a cheap AR and keep the XD

Obviously, it's not a decent trade, it's simply not fair.

The Mini-14 is definitely a good rifle, it just simply isn't as accurate as a rifle can or should be. The real problem with the Mini-14 is that it finds itself in a modern world but wasn't developed when self-loading short, handy rifles were all the rage. It was a fine tool in it's day but (even despite it's supposed recent re-work), it can't come close to the accuracy or adaptability of today's AR platform rifles.

Back in the late 70s or early 1980s, it was a handy, available, durable and enjoyable rifle when almost nobody was buying a Colt AR-15 and nobody else made AR rifles.

I love my Mini-14 but that trade is not even, you'll lose on that one. Newer Mini-14 rifles do not suffer from the accuracy issues of the older rifles. These rifles are easily identified by serial number. That said, you can buy a brand new Mini-14 Tactical for around $850 street price so a roughly $500 handgun + $300 + $200 (roughly) in ammo is no deal on a used rifle. The rifle comes from the factory with the flash suppressor and ATI stock. The "Socom barrel support" is probably actually a barrel strut which helps dissipate heat and control barrel whip and really isn't necessary on a newer Mini-14 due to the heavier barrel profile The NCstar scope is worth nothing in the deal and if it were me it would actually decrease the value of the rifle because I would need to re-scope the rifle.

Stu

Thanks!

I sincerely appreciate all the feedback! I usually come to this forum before making any trade because 1) I'm not a firearms expert. and 2) I value the opinion of seasoned shooters like you all.

Before I even had a chance to check back here to see what replies my question got, I turned down the offer. And boy, am I glad I did.

My XDs does fall into the recall. I need to send it out to get fixed up. I actually printed my shipping label yesterday and plan to send it out this week sometime. Upon return from Springfield, I'm not sure what I want to do with it.. I bought this with all intentions of using it as a primary carry weapon. I loved the size and ease of concealment. When I bought it, the 9mm version was not available. I wish I had waited, I prefer carrying 9mm for many different reasons. I shot about 600 rounds through my XDs without issue and trusted my life with for about 6 months until I received notice about the recall. Had the recall been a small upgrade to the weapon, I wouldn't be so concerned. However, the message "IMMEDIATELY UNLOAD YOUR WEAPON AND DO NOT LOAD AGAIN" kind of turned me off. Not sure I could ever fully trust this weapon again (even having never had a real issue with it myself).

That being said, I will be sending it out to Springfield and hanging on to it for the time being. Currently carrying my Kahr T9, my most trusted pistol, but not my most concealable. Thoughts on the XDs situation? (I'm sure there are threads all throughout here covering this topic, just wondering what you all think here)

Back