Tourqe wrench suggestions

Here is rule of thumb I follow for torque setting in guns.

Wood / composit without glass bedding: 45 to 50 lb-in.

Glass bedded wood / composit: 50 to 55 lb-in.

Taking about scary scenario involving gun stock, nothing to do with torque settings, is Remington 1100 auto shotgun. The action link consists of 2 sharp hooks that need to be captivated in the action spring follower. The whole deal resides in the action spring tube in the stock. If somehow the link hooks work their way out of the follower, under recoil force, the hooks can puncture through the tube wall and the stock wood. Image how freaky it is when the shooter's cheek welded on the stock. You think the guy would sue somebody and everybody? Let's not think about it too much.

-TL

There is an engineering notion of "chasing one's tail," where you spend a huge effort trying to reduce the effect of Variable 1, losing sight of the fact that other variables become dominant and completely mask any enhancement you might make by further refinement of Variable 1.

In the present context, this applies to getting anal about torque wrench calibration precision. With such small screws, variability in lube or crud on the threads, as well as pre-stretch if using previously use screws, introduces a error that almost certainly dominates over any calibration error in a not abused, small scale torque wrench or driver.

I know, sounds cryptic, I fail to understand why a user can not test a torque wrench for accuracy. Then there is that part abort being expensive.

There are users that can test their torques wrenches. Then there are those that chase the threads and clean threaded holes and measure the resistance between the threads.

I have one torque wrench that would require wheels if I took it with me, there was a time I thought nothing of taking it with me just in case I needed it. Then there are tire shops, I purchased 2 new tires, I wanted them on the front, as though there was a law against it I was told the new tires were going on the rear, and we had words, I am still welcome because they sell tires. Now I have them mount my new tire on the spare wheel then drive off and mount the new tire on the front then go back and have another new tire mounted.

Problem, the last tires they installed required they torque the lugs to 140 ft. lbs. My lug wrench mounted behind the seat is hardly 1 foot long. I cut a 3 foot piece of pipe and placed it behind the seat. I made sure the wife was aware of the pipe, she said she had Triple AAA.

F. Guffey

Dixie, i hadnt worked on the gun, it was factory.
The tube was aluminum, and it broke right at the receiver, leaving a small piece in the receiver. Both tube and receiver were aluminum.
Looking at it, it almost appeared as though there had been a groove at the end of the threads, a v groove. As if the threading tool had not pulled out, and the part made a whole revolution with the tool still sunk to depth.
A cnc with the encoder going bad, or encoder belt slipping will do this on occasion, until it gets bad enough to do it all the time.
He came in with somebody else who was a regular, and wanted to know if i could make a replacement ss tube, and how much. Apparently the gun was little used, so i suggested that while i certainly could oblige him, he might want to contact the company, he might get free service.
He said he would. He came back later, said he had contacted them and told them he could install the part if he could get it. They sent him one for free. Made out of ss. A problem upgraded, i figure.
He didnt have to miss work, or go to the er, just patched himself up.

There are jobs i do get concerned about as well sometimes. Then, as im sure you also get, are the jobs that scream lawsuit waiting to happen.

I spent a long time as a machinist. In the machinery handbook are torque limits for most fastener sizes. Scope screws are no different. Limits are based on material, material amount, meaning diameter, and thread pitch and type. Engagement does play a factor, but 1 1/2 times the diameter of a screw is the max holding power of the threads. After that, thread engagement is not stronger, as the shank diameter is now the weak link.

tobnpr, I looked at the Fix It Sticks website, and they don't show the torque limiters yet. The writer of the article hadn't seen the information on the limiters as yet, from the time of the article on the 27th of last month. That would be a nice set of tooling, if affordable, and they do start selling them.

Our washing machine was making 'this noise' through one of the cycles. It was a popping sound. More than I wanted to know but the parts to repair reminded me of a few torque/limiters I have with bevel drives and springs. It would be nice if they were adjustable. The parts in the washing machine were plastic and worn, when the machine changed directions the torque required to spin overrode the drive.

Then there are the tubing torque wrenches, again, not adjustable but if they were it would be great for barrel nuts.

F. Guffey

Back