Toughest question ever.

I've hunted deer, hogs, turkey, duck, and geese with the saiga-12. Red dot works really well on it.

And yes I bust clays with it all the time. Its hella fun!

I still kept my O/U skeet gun, 870 & 11-87 field guns and 590A1 but all those roles could be easily filled with a Saiga.

It's funny that people seem to view Saigas are one-trick-ponies when they can actually do many things.

It's quite a bit of fun to load up a 20-round drum on the skeet range and go-to-town. I'm still waiting for the game warden to come by when I'm out dove hunting with a 12-inch Saiga and a 2-round magazine.

There is no comparison between the Saiga and the M-4. The M-4 will win every time, but at $1,500 for the M-4 ???????????.

I might ask why you want an M-4? Have you looked at the Nova or Super Nova or even the Weatherby 459 instead?

Jim

Weatherby PA-459, 12 gauge pump, 5+1 will accept the Nova mag extensions, 18.5 inch barrel + 1.5 inch breaching choke, railed rear sight and fiber optic front sight. About $450.00.

Jim

Last edited:
I really just want a semi-auto shotgun. The M4 is basically my dream shotgun, but I can't afford it so I'm trying to see if TFL can convince me that I should save my money and buy something else... NOT DOING SO WELL HERE.

However I also really like the Mossberg 590A1 out of all the pump guns I've handled.

And yeah I agree the M4 costs WAY too much in my opinion. When you boil it down to the simple stuff it's just a gas blow back shotgun like almost every other semi-auto. Though I realize that's right about where the "simple stuff" ends, but really? $1,500?? And locally it's more like $2,000 :eek:

However I also really like the Mossberg 590A1 out of all the pump guns I've handled.

If you're looking for a practical shotgun get the 590A1. I'll take mine over every other shotgun (including my Saiga) for any situation aside from playing at the range.

M4s are great, but they're like getting a Cadillac when you're just looking to drive from point A to point B and a regular car will work just fine.

If you heart is set on an M4, get one as you'll keep longing for it. But my M4 was sold (at a profit) and the Mossberg was kept and I'm not really missing the M4 that much.

I'll say it again.... A Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel and magazine tube extension will run you about the same as a converted Saiga.... And it will also be a much better gun.

Back