Totally Stumped

ONWARD,
Can you explain that one more time the difference between the Smith 2 & 3/4 " & the Smith 3".
My biggest problem is finding a GS that has both revolvers so I can actually feel the difference.

I found a GS in my area with both the 2.75 "& 3" 7 shot 357 in magnum Smith & Wessons.

The balance of the 3" was very evident to me & so much better than the 2.75". The biggest surprise was "THE TRIGGER IN DA as compared to my Rugers.

All of you S&W people were absolutely correct. WOW!

The real difference is that with a Smith and Wesson K-frame 3" -vs- a 2.75, you get a full length ejector rod throw.

The full ejector rod advantage never materialized for me. I've shot hundreds of different K-frames certifying them for duty as well as shooting other customer's revolvers, and I never had any issues with ejection.

Not long back I bought two 3 inch smiths...a model 13 and a model 65. They both come with fixed sights and both surprised me as being very accurate and shooting to point of aim at 7 yards.
I like the 2 1/2 inch 66's too, just a horse of a different color.

Guys.I took the advice & I am in the process of becoming a 1st. time owner of a S&W 686 plus 357 in magnum 3" 7 shot revolver. should get it mid next week.
Thank you one & all & Merry Christmas!

For decades, S&W barrels were shorter than their advertised length. Finally, S&W got the word and used the actual length in its advertising. But IIRC, the change to a 3" barrel was forced when one country (Canada?) banned revolvers with barrels under 3" (actual length) so S&W dropped the slightly shorter 2.75" length and went to 3". The latter had always been my preference in .38 Special due to the full length ejector rod, and the insignificance of an extra 1/4 inch of barrel.

Jim

S&W dropped the slightly shorter 2.75" length and went to 3".

Refresh my memory, please.
What S&W other than the recent Model 69 had a 2.75" barrel?
I have a 2.5" Model 19 but that is as close as I can find.
My Model 12 is nominally 2" but I have not measured it.

When was Canada's minimum barrel length 3"?
It is now 105mm (4.13").

Jim,
S&W's model 66 Combat 357 in magnum has a 2.75 " Barrel length. I was going to buy it but after handling the 686 plus 3", I went with that. Love the balance and DA.

Also come in 22LR and 38 special. Its a 6 shot K frame. Wow! I'm starting to learn.

Bught the 3".

Picked up my NIB 687 plus 3" in 357 magnum today. Everyone at the GS/range
came oiver and even though I did not buy from them, they all semed pretty pleased that I picked this model. After doing the paperwork, I went into their range to take it out for a spin.

Shot 75 rounds of 38 sp.+P 130 gr. FMJ Winchester ammo then 75 rounds of Hornady125 gr. 357 mag ammo.

What an incrediable gun. That extra 1/2 "to 1/4 " made a huge difference qnd I had absolutely no problem carrying it concealed. The DA, after Ruger, was a breeze.

Last edited:
Back