Tossing useable brass

If your brass does not hang onto a bullet well enough, it can make a difference on 50-yard precision targets. Assuming all the brass hangs on well, it gets harder to tell a difference. A lot of guys sort by headstamp for rifle shooting. A good target rifle for position shooting can shoot half moa, while a good pistol for bullseye shooting can shoot 4 moa (2 inches at 50-yards and a really exceptional one can do half that until it shoots loose). So, with four to eight times lower accuracy expectations, a lot of the ammunition loading steps that can improve groups with a target rifle make invisible differences in pistol and revolver ammunition and can generally be ignored.

The thing to keep in mind is that each source of error adds a certain amount of randomizing to the total area of a group, not to the diameter of the group. So if eliminating a particular source of error takes away a tenth of a moa² of the area from the size of a group, that takes a half moa group down to a bughole, but a four moa group is only reduced to a 3.97 moa group by removing that same area. So it's not a reliably detectable improvement in common handgun ammunition without firing and averaging a large number of groups.

Neck cracks
Body split
enlarged primer pocket (primer fall out)
or lost
Not before ... brass doesn't grow on trees around here !
Gary

Uncle Nick covered it well (again). I will add my personal experience that off center flash holes don't give noticeable effects when shooting (particularly with pistols).

Where off center flash holes have been an issue for me, is reloading. IF they are off center enough, they can bend or break decapping pins.

It's too tedious for most people, but long ago I got into the habit of doing initial decapping of nearly everything before sizing, using the old Lee decapper punch and base and a hammer. You feel the pin go into the hole, and you get to hit things, ;)

Only needs doing once, and you can easily see if the case is normal or has an off center hole. I"ve found more than a few military cases with off center holes, and they get segregated into the "hand deprime only" group. I have spares, but haven't broken a die decapping pin in years.

Regarding flash holes, I've seen a lot of those way-off-center holes in Fiocchi brass, too. It looks like they are drilling them without a bushing that centers the drill in the primer pocket or else they have the drill bit extend too far beyond the bushing so it can walk.

Hm I have a pile of 9mm G.F.L. and didn't notice off-center primer holes - I'll take another look.

Where off center flash holes have been an issue for me, is reloading. IF they are off center enough, they can bend or break decapping pins.

That's my beef with them also.

Nobody complains about them when they are shooting the factory ammo with the off center holes, but they, ( and I) complain when we have to deprime them.
I sort them out and deprime them seperately. I have an old beat up 30-06 resizing die I use to deprime all my 9mm and .357 mag cases now.
I've never broke a pin in it.

Other than the off center flash holes, I think GFL is as good as any other range pick ups out there. A lot better than some.

If neck tension isn't there I toss as well. Must times this is with old brass anyway. Besides the usual reasons to toss brass... is the rim. When the rim gets beat up so bad it doesn't slip cleanly into the shell holder, it is time to toss. Starline Brass isn't that expensive that I can buy a new bag after being used 15-20 times.

Back