Torn-G26 or P239?

Kevin in IN

Hi all! I'm planning on getting a new ccw this summer and I'm torn between the Glock and the Sig. I've held both, but shot neither. And I know it's hard to do an evaluation without shooting a firearm, but maybe you can help me out with your personnal expierces with these fine handguns. Of course I like different things about each. The Glock seems to have a lot of tricks and accessories and a huge following(support), and it seems to be indestuctable. Where as the Sig has a decocker and a DA/SA trigger that seems a bit safer for carry(to me anyway). On the negatives...Glock's trigger will take some practice to feel confortable with. And the Sig's finish durability is in question. The Glock just seems easier and simpler, but the trigger has me a bit on edge(yes I've shot other Glocks but never carried one). I guess with practice. As for looks, which doesn't really mean anything, the Sig wins hands down. I'm just curious what you all think. Any one have a side by side comparison of the two? Carry either? Your feeling on the trigger system of the Glock? Anything would be helpful, so don't hesitate to respond. All replies are greatly appriciated. Kevin

I wouldn't go with either one. They are both bulky. The best ccw gun being made IMHO are the Kahrs.

You have picked the two most reliable,thats for sure.

The main things I think you would want to consider when it comes down to the final choice are the following:

Which fits YOUR hand better

Does trigger on the Sig (d/a-s/a) affect your shooting

Does the difference in overall weight concern you

which can you draw from concealment faster and be more accurate at close range point shooting

After you try each for a bit I think you will make the decision that works best for you.

Regards,

I carry a Sig P239. I'm 6'3" and 235. The size, shape, weight, & incredible accuracy made the P239 my only choice. The Kahr doesn't fit me, but I would have chosen the Sig anyway.

If you look for the word "reliability" in your Funk 'n Wagnalls you'll see they have a picture of a SIG.

IMHO, the Glock 26/27 is the ultimate CCW package. I have had both, now have a 27. While it is thick, it combines (again, IMHO)the ultimate combination of power/size/capacity/durability/dependability. I have many other handguns, other Glocks, Berettas, *&*s. The one that goes with me the most is my 27. Don't discount durability of the finish when selecting a CCW piece. During carry, my 27 is like a pocket knife. Take it off, put it in the safe. Other pistols of mine would rust like crazy if I did that with them. I clean it when I shoot it. Blow the lint off occasionally. Very low maintenance.

I have a Sig P239 in .40. Also two glocks (17 and 23). And three Kahrs (K9, K40, and MK9). I carry the Kahrs. The Sig and Glocks sit in the safe.

I'm not a fan of the Glock trigger. It does have the advantage of a short stroke and very short reset. But the feel is awful. Creepy, sproingy, etc. Yuck. However, the Glock trigger is consistent each time. Regarding safety, you can increase the Glock trigger weight with the NY trigger option. I'd feel perfectly safe with this, but I've had training in drawing and holstering. (If you haven't had such training I strongly urge that you get some before you carry...).

Regarding the Sig, I really don't like DA/SA. I find it hard to manage the transition between the long, hard DA pull and the short, easy SA pull. But then I haven't tried very hard at it. If you do get the Sig, plan to do a lot of shooting where you decock, fire two shots (one DA, one SA), then decock again. I don't particularly care for the way the Sig feels in my hand. It seems rather top heavy and has a high bore axis. You'll notice that the distance from the top of the slide to the bottom of the frame (where the trigger guard meets the frame) is fairly large. It is accurate though. And the SA trigger is pretty good.

One last thing that I don't like about the Sig is that the slide stop lever is in a non-standard location -- at the rear of the frame, rather than the middle. Most of my guns have the slide-stop in the middle of the frame, so that's where I would probably look for it under stress.

If forced to pick between Glock and Sig for concealed carry, I'd take the Glock. But that's mostly because of my anti DA/SA religion. Both are good guns and would serve you well.

I do prefer the Kahrs for concealed carry. They are striker-fired, like the Glock. But the trigger is much smoother (though with a longer throw). Trigger weight is around 6-7 lbs. And they are thinner, so they are easier to conceal. Downside is lower capacity.

M1911

Enlighten me. Just what is so difficult about taking a Kahr apart and putting it back together?

Thanks guys. M16 how is the Kahr's accuracy? I'm going from a Taurus PT111 with a terrible trigger pull. And of course I can't hit ANYTHING with it, unless it's a foot lower than my aim. I want to go with a quality weapon with good accuracy and a smooth trigger pull. The longer trigger travel is probably a plus in a carry weapon in my opinion. That's the problem I have with the Glock. I can go with the NY trigger system on the Glock, but what does that do to the accuracy? Any imput or suggestions welcome. Thanks again. Kevin

Viper005...If you have an MK, push the pin out, rather than trying to pull it oout with the slide stop. I use a little plastic game piece with the head broken off, set on the table, and just push the gun down to slide out the pin. If you have a full sized Karh, use the slide stop that Kahr sells. Gary

Personally I think the 239 has one of the most uncomfortable grips I have ever held. I much prefer the 225 (yeah you knew at least one of us 225ers was gonna show up eventually). However, given the choice, I'd go with the G26. All of these pistols will fire if you don't keep your finger off the trigger and all of them will not fire if you do. DA/SA triggers do bother me but I am getting better with them though I doubt I will ever carry one. One point of clarification, a heavy trigger pull will not effect accuracy. It may effect your ability to shoot accurately but the slide/barrel/frame lockup pretty much determines accuracy. Having said that though, I will never understand the whole NY trigger thing, but to each his/her own.

Accuracy of the Kahr is excellent. I imagine the smooth trigger stroke helps out a bunch. It is without a doubt the best gun going for concealed carry.

I'd go with the Glock if you plan on abusing it. Keep in mind that the Glock's trigger shines when you learn how to use its short reset to your advantage.

In my quest for MY perfect CCW had:

Glock 23--someone made me an offer that was next to impossible to refuse in the hi cap scare of '94

S&W640 in .357--one of the first--great gun, sold in a moment of weakness--DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!

Glock 27--too fat

Sig 230--just didn't "feel right"

Glock 30--got in a screaming deal but still too fat

Kahr MK9--Perfecto! Got an LTD edition with a Black T slide. Accurate Accurate Accurate Reliable Reliable Reliable. Next to undetectable with a wide range of carry modes. This baby ain't going anywhere...

You opinion and mileage may vary.

If you want a light, reliable, and accurate 9mm CCW gun, its the Glock 26.

I've broken springs and extractors on a P239. And that hammer can grab and bite your skin as you draw form IWB.

The Kahrs are nice but the trigger pull is too long and they are bricks. And I've seen way too many of them at the range coughing on ammo and FTF.

There is a reason why the majority of police detectives and undercover cops carry G26/G27s. Good price, small package.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated by the GlockTalk collective.

PS - I love and carry my HK P7 a lot too!

Jtduncan:

Not trying to start a flame war but I think you are posting some inaccuracies:

"Kahrs are bricks:"
What is the weight of a fully loaded G26 vs. a fully loaded MK9? Within an ounce of each other. Yeah the Glock carries 4 more rounds but if the job isn't finished with 3 rounds, much less 7, your in it deep.

"Ive seen way too many of them [Kahrs] at the range coughing on ammo and FTF." Really? I have over 1000 rounds of various ammo type through mine without a single failure--even during the 200 round break in period.

"That hammer [on the P239] can grab and bite your skin..." The hammer is bobbed and only exposed upon pulling the trigger.

"There is a reason why the majority of police detectives and undercover cops carry G26/G27s." Your statement is based on what? How many cops have a open choice? Most have limited options.

KEVIN:
Find a rental range and try them out for yourself. Or see if your buddies that have one will take you out for a session.

I've choosen the SIG239 in .40S&W as my carry gun.

Didn't like the trigger on the Glock.

If you have a place to shoot, I'd be happy to let you test drive it. Currently waiting for Pop Gun's new range to open after Don's closed their doors.

As far as DA/SA (true DA), practice makes perfect. When I practice shooting I always shoot at least a box in 2 rapid shot strings. DA, SA, decock. Never had a problem with transition, never felt it was a detriment to my shooting. I usually get both shots within a few inches of each other at 7 yards.

Have shot around 5000 through 4 pistols, all DA/SA and never felt much of a need to change they style of pistol I carry. If I was in a pinch, had the gun drawn and the time, I could always thumb back the hammer. Then it's SA all the way. But I am confident of my ability to place the 1st shot in COM, DA or SA.

Back