Took the old girl out for one last hurrah!

I have one of those old girls. Maybe the story about the jacketed bullets is true. I am dealing with a split forcing cone right now. I have owned the gun for 25 years. No +P, no hot handloads, but lots of semi-jacketed bullets through it. I had never heard not to. I just figured the previous owner may have shot some hot stuff and cracked it, and over the years I have eroded it out just from shooting regular .38 specials. I have a picture of the crack in my post titles "Do you see a problem"

Attachments

• PB070095c.resized.JPG
    PB070095c.resized.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 25
I'm not afraid of standard pressure .38spl ammo, but I agree I should use only lead projectiles. Exposed lead at indoor ranges is not safe (high lead exposure for the employees).

When I go to outdoor ranges I am there to shoot rifles.

For good or ill, S&W managed to update the M&P in dozens of ways over the years with almost no changes visible on the outside. That means that if you want to shoot the old timers, you need to listen to Mike Irwin and be aware than any broken or worn parts might be impossible to replace by you or S&W. For example, the simple cylinder stop of the modern guns was the result of decades of development and change and the old ones won't interchange with the later versions.

Jim

The range I know of that doesn't allow cast bullets is an indoor range, and the smoke generated is too annoying, so they banned them.

Why doesn't he load, or find a load that uses the plated bullets, like Berrys?

They are essentially a soft lead bullet with a very thin copper plating on them. This means they don't smoke like cast lead/lubed bullets, and the loads you use for them are the same loads used for plain old cast bullets.

Or, the powder coated bullets... same thing applies to them, as well.

Back