Took the Armscor back, got a pardner pump

Not only is it cheaper, its better made as well. And some where there is a problem?

Freedom Group Incestual Money Trail: Remington (who licensed Norinco to make & import, owns Marlin -> Marlin (owned by Remington, owns H&R) -> Harrington & Richardson (make the PPP, with NEF are Norinco in the US).

Anything else?

Not only is it cheaper, its better made as well.

I find this to be true when comparing the Protector or IAC Hawk to the 870 Express models made within the last 5-7 years.

The ONLY thing I'm aware of on a Protector that isn't interchangeable with an 870 12ga is the barrel. EVERYTHING ELSE has been freely interchangeable for me.

Not true. The lifter is different, as is the part the bolt fits onto and perhaps the bolt... (rem 870's have a flex tab and the parts don't interchange unless you swap the whole assembly) The extractor is different, the triggerguard is different and made of metal. Also, with the barrel lug being further out you don't have to add support clamps when you add a mag tube extender. The barrels have had better QC or at least less problems with stuck rounds, and the protector comes as a 5+1 compared to 870's 4+1.... The recievers themselves are different, the NEF's being thicker. Magazine tubes are slightly wider on NEF's.... What parts are the same? The stock? The bolt itself (minus a few parts...)

Not true.

I have a Remington 870 as well as an IAC Hawk 982. I've swapped the trigger groups and the bolts as well as the bolt carriers. I didn't have any issues with either of them cycling.

You may be right on the extractor, I may test changeover ability this weekend. I would think that the extractor spring is the same length.

I've heard that the receivers are thicker, but never measured mine. Are they thicker to the OD or ID?

Being able to swap and being the same parts are completely different. My NEF's bolt carrier is a different design and shape to the 870's. Same with the lifter. 870's have flex tabs and the bolt carrier was made to go with that. You can swap a pre flex tab lifter/bolt carrier/bolt with a flex tab lifter/carrier/bolt...but you cannot swap just the lifter, or just the carrier between them. So they are different, but they interchange. See what I'm saying? The NEF uses a different design to accomplish the same goal.

The 870's trigger guard is plastic. The NEF's is steel. Steel>plastic. Sure, same size and design, but BETTER.

Back to the bolt. While they interchange, the extractor on an 870 is metal injection molded, the NEF is machined steel. BETTER

The lifter design itself is simplier on the NEF and doesn't involve a cut out to allow the rim to pop out incase of a miss feed. BETTER

So they are different, but they interchange. See what I'm saying?

I gotcha.

I am a proponent of both the Hawk series of shotguns, as well as the NEF's as you call them. One of the common things I hear when I sing their praises is the fact that they are made in China. People seem to equate that with a "fly by night" type of customer service, and thus limited replacement parts being available should something need repair. What I'm getting at by the interchangeability between the Chinese clones and the 870 is the idea that parts availability is relatively abundant, and that should someone feel the desire to buy either of the shotguns we own, that they should do so without hesitation.

to get the same reliability from the 870 you gotta upgrade parts

I agree with you on that, regarding the current production Express models.

I think if more people gave the clones a chance, they would see the merits that they have.

Back