Took my 88 to the woodshed.

maybe

I'll work on pics on Pap's rifle. It is not really pretty. It was my sole highpower for about 20 years, after my Dad hunted it, and after Pap carried it a few seasons. But it is not abused....and it is much loved. I have the shipping box dated 1956.

I've posted a story before about being a kid at "deer camp"...in his dining room w/ kerosene lantern and that rifle.

Wears the same 70's era Bushnell that my Dad put on it for me at age 14. With it I likely made the longest shot on a whitetail I ever will, not exceptional at 225 paced, but long for the way I hunt. It has killed deer in 3 states.

It will shoot. Factory WW 150 Power Points did well, as did my reloads with 150 Sierra Pro Hunters. Maybe bamaboy can help with pics.

COSteve....Your 88 is the only 88 I have ever seen with a winchester pad ..that was said was factory....

Without factory verification or some other type of provenance, I have to agree that a recoil pad installed on any Model 88 rifle (or Model 100 for that matter) is an after-market proposition.
I will say that the the stock on COSteve's rifle has some of the nicest wood that I've ever seen on a factory Model 88-and I've seen more than a few.

A friend of mine had a pre64 Mod.88 Win.in .308 and I was surprised at the 3- shot groups he would get with the rifle at 100 yrds. It is a shame that they are no longer produced, they deserved a better fate.They just didn't sell vey well.

Back