Too many guns?

You apparently have a pair of SXS's that you like ....so certainly keep those.

Since you don't have a lot of attachment to the others...I'd say sure, let them go ....and add a newer version of a 12ga semi-auto probably...maybe a Benelli / or maybe a gas gun ( like a Beretta or Browning). Kind of depends on what you want....

A good all around gun in a semi-auto would be a 28" or 30" barrel with changeable screw in chokes.../ the Benelli Inertia guns, will give you about 25% more recoil than most any gas gun ...but if you buy a synthetic stocked Benelli, make sure it has the Comfort Tech system in it - and it'll soften the recoil quite a bit. Beretta has a lot of semi-autos to fit most any budget...or there are guns like the Browning Silver series ..that are affordable as well. A budget of around $1,000 will give you lots of options ...and reasons to sell some of the guns you don't like.

( I don't sell anything either - like most of these guys / but if you don't like them ...there's no use keeping them around either).

One of the better pump guns out there is a Browning BPS Hunter model ...in a 28" ....but like any fixed breech gun, that won't reduce any recoil for you ....but new they're about $ 700 now I think. Its certainly a lot of gun for the money --- and I shot a BPS Hunter for Trap for many years ...before I went into O/U's like the Citori XT Trap in a 32" ....but that's more money.
------------
Good luck with your decision - no matter what you decide ---- and have fun with the process !! ...and you'll be fine.

Sounds like the SxS shotguns are happy where they are.
I'm with BigJimP, get yourself a nice modern semi auto in 12 or 20.

Over the last couple years, I've sold a bunch of shotguns that I've owned forever or inherited. All but one have finally been let go. [I'm keeping my grandfathers LeFever]

I look at it as if you like what you have then you dont have to many,i have lots of guns that i dont really shoot a whole bunch but i like them so i'm not getting rid of them. If i get one that i dont like i will/do sell it but i always get one or two to replace it:D

I'm one of the few nuts that will tell you there are such things as too many guns. Made the call myself a few years ago that I would rather have a few well thought out and possibly nicer guns than the locker full I had. Sold off many and used the funds to buy/build exactly what I wanted. That left me with 2 shotguns (not counting rifles mind you). A dedicated scoped slug gun that see's the light of day 5 days during deer season and a Winchester 1300 with both 22" and 28" WinChoke barrels. With that 2 shotgun combo there is absolutely nothing that I can't do that someone with 4, 6 or 10 shotguns can.

Killkenny,

Hey, aside from my grandfathers old Remington, I would like to go with your idea of selling off the one s I don't need and getting a few good ones.

If I do not hunt deer, do I need a slug shotgun. Have a scoped Mossberg with slugged barrel that my Dad used when he was hunting. I only will be hunting goose or turkey etc. Do I need the slugged gun or can I change it to a regular barrel?

You know you have too many guns when.....

1) You pick up a gun in your collection, and have no recollection of every seeing it before then.
2) You realize you do not have enough time left in your life to test fire them all.
3) You have more guns than any gun store in your city.
4) Your wife asks about how to sell your guns when you die.

If I do not hunt deer, do I need a slug shotgun. Have a scoped Mossberg with slugged barrel that my Dad used when he was hunting. I only will be hunting goose or turkey etc. Do I need the slugged gun or can I change it to a regular barrel?

Iowa doesn't allow centerfire rifles for deer hunting cept in a very limited doe only season in January. That's the only reason I have 2 shotguns. So no, you don't need a slug gun and you can EASILY get by with one for everything else.

Yep, my the Mossberg is out the door.

I have an older pump, double barrel coach that was used for Cowboy action and a mid 80's Remington 1100, but still do want a newer auto. The Cowboy can go, but the Pump (Remington s-10?) was my Grandfather's I believe so will stay along with the 1100 that was/is my Moms.

While I am a huge fan of the Versa-Max, the Benelli Vinci is another pretty good "cover all the bases" 12 gauge with very low recoil, which it seems is important to you. I just prefer to buy American guns. I'd be doing some comparison shopping and decide on the one you like the most.

I certainly would not sell an Ithaca 37, but some of the others you have, if you have no reason to enjoy them, shoot them or like them, consider selling them if you really think you have too many. I can pretty much tell you that once you shoot your own Vinci or VM, you will have seen your ideal of a one gun for all filled about as close as you can get. If you sold 3 or 4 of the ones below, you would be well on your way to paying for a VM or Vinci.

Stevens 315 SxS 12 gauge
Remington 1100 12 gauge early model
Remington Sportsman 58 16 gauge
HSB & Co Revonoc 12 gauge
New Stevens 320 12 gauge

I sold the Stevens 315 double barrel and Remington 1100. Slowly they are leaving. Still havent decided what will replace these. Waiting on a sale or something to come up to help me along in the decision making process.

Back