Too late to start MA?

geer

I have done some karate in the middle school, ending up with a red belt. I have also done wrestling and boxing. All this stuff took much time, however so i quit all sports (going to the gym and jogging doesn't teally count as a sport) in favor of school. Now since I have graduated, I would like to pick up where I left over.
My question would be: is it too late for me to start? I mean I don't really care about tournaments, but a black belt would be nice. Any suggestions from experienced athletes around here?

No.
Unless you sumpin over a hundred years and in poor health.

The mind is the primary weapon. What you learn in MA is tools for the mind. The belt is merely a token, the real benefit is the quality tools gained.

Go for it.

Sam

There are TKD schools around that'll get you a black belt in 2 years flat, with regular payment of course.
Probably same in many different styles - you just have to find the right instructor.
You want a black belt, you go get you a black belt.
The instructor may take your red belt into consideration and pro-rate you.
If you have the cashola, you may be able to go for two different styles at the same time.
Of course, you can only wear one at a time, but then don't ask me why I have so many holsters!

;)

Never too old to learn. Maybe too obstinant, but never too old.

Some of us got lucky and started training young(I started at 10). I'll probably pass that tradition down to my kids(if I have any).

youngun, I guess you have misinterpreted me. I don't just want a black belt so I can brag about it. If I wanted one, I'd go to Wallmart and get one for $2.99 . What I meant is obtaining a sufficient skill level that wold be equal to a "real" black belt, not the one you get if you have enough money. Hell, Systema doesn't even use belts and uniforms, their motto is: "No uniforms, no belts, no nonsense" yet it is one of the most effective styles out there, mainly due to its efficiencey and brutality - it seems to be close to jj, from what I know. Thats something I want to learn - as I said, I could care less about tournaments and titles.

I started Eskrime (Filipino Stick) with 37, now I'm 45. We have the "No uniforms, no belts, no nonsense" you mentioned, so I don't have a fancy belt. But you could take your favorite axe handle, Louisville slugger, or piece of hickory and go for my head, and you'ld see what I learned. Enough folks already tried. And I'm not finished learning.

Fancy spin kicks aren't the way to go when you get older, but if you go for any no-nonsense approach age really isnt't the factor.

Sticking to your schedule, and not quitting if your tarining doesn't always give you great advances, thet's what really get's you further. And these traits are more common with those who are not so young anymore.

Rudolf.

In "Zen and the Martial Arts" Joe Hyams writes of a guy who didn't start studying any MA until he was 57. More than one legendary martial artist has said that he didn't fully understand the martial arts until he was middle-aged (Musashi, who retired when he was 29 IIRC, said he didn't really understand the arts until he was 50).

You're never too old to learn -- and that doesn't apply just to MA.

My oldest student is 72. He began training one year ago. No, I don't bother teaching him jumpimg or spinning kicks. I don't even teach him to kick above the waist. He told me the other day that he feels younger than he did one year ago.

Average time in my school for a full-time practician to make 1st degree blackbelt, about three years, though many take longer.

Buy a blackbelt a walmart? Not around here, not even in the sport's stores. All I have ever seen are starter uniforms that come with the beginners white belt.

Too many people do "sell" blackbelts. These instructors are short-sighted. They perform no service to the community and sooner or later are exposed.

I tell my 1st degree blackbelts that now, they are finally ready to learn to be a martial artist. I tell them when they become blackbelts they have just begun to begin.

No one is too old to train. but their training will (if they are really "old") must be amended to leave out the techniques they will never be able to do, and to concentrate on those techniques that they can do.

I often (during sparring class) will have two or even three students spar against one student. Of course I set the rules to avoid serious injury. However, it does teach them the concept of fighting against multiple attackers. They learn to think and move and hit back while being hit. Not reality, but good training none-the-less.

I most definetly teach them that anytime they feel outmatched, whether it be by multiple attackers, someone with a club or knife or even just a BIG opponent., to run away if given the opportunity, BUT as they run they must remain aware of the attackers (in case they can catch them) as well as where they are running to. (like watching for traffic if running across a street).

My .02cents?

Speaking from my advanced age of 54 years old, I have arthritis, a gimpy leg, and hip pain...I figure from all that old tournament fighting, but I have been in the martial arts for over some 40 odd years...can't remember how long nowadays...but there's a lot that you can learn with a good teacher....but first ask yourself what you want to learn and what do you wish to really get out of it. Visit a lot of schools, hang around for after the classes to talk to the teacher and senior students. Heck talk to the junior students too.
See if the teacher follows his own teachings, are the students respectful ? Is it a school that you would like to stay with for a long time?
Don't be easily impressed with a lot of flash. What does the school emphasize?...etc., etc., etc...Please do a search on martial art schools and a lot of threads posted here on TFL There are a bunch of good guys here with a lot of experience.
Research and learn.
Good luck and let us know what you choose.

No one is ever to old to learn how to defend themselves. Getting in shape for a confrontation is a good idea (you'll only have the stamina that you bring to the fight to rely on) but self defense isn't limited to the superbly fit. It helps but it's not the sole determining factor. An often-quoted statisitic is that fighting is 90% attitude and 10% technique.

I'm 42. I do submission grappling with 20 year olds and beat many of them. They have all the tatoos, body piercings, and earings. They fight for money on Thursday nights sometimes. I remember something Rickson Gracie said to me, "I don't believe in age". Neither do I.

If you don't have the right system, the fight will need to be 90% attitude. The purpose of learning a martial art is to change ratio in favor of technique over strength and determination.

You're never too old. However, I would suggest getting into a regular workout routine to improve and maintain your fitness level.

Maybe I missed your age, but I guess you are in your late 20's?

Anyway, one of the best fighters I know started training when he was 28. He was the Senior Instructor right under Paul Vunak at one point. The guy is now in his 40's and a total badass.
Being physically fit plays a large role. If you are physically fit, your numeric chronological age means nothing.

Jdtthadeus did you mean physically fit like age to fitness ratio, body style, please explain, because I'm 22 yrs young 5'10 300lbs and due all of my techniques as well as my Sensei's son that's been study as long as i have and is 5'9 155 lbs.

For all,

Little insight, the belt is not to signify popularity, or the "I'm a black belt" testastarone ego drive. The belt is to signify rank, and position at the school,
I am a Yondan (4th dan) in Aki-jujutsu, and been a practitioner for almost eleven years, and recenlty attained my Yondan, at my school we have students of all ages from 4-65 yrs of age, so there is no real age to start learning or refreshening your six sense which is reflex. At my schools and most schools that have the proper way of instruction will test your knowledge and form and have you put in the place where your skill and knowledge level is. For example, a recent Gentleman (23yrs old) came in from a TKD school he's a 2nd degree black belt, he came in and spoke to me and my Hanshi Sensei and told us his rank at his school and that he had been training for two and one half years. So my master knowing the type of skill most TKD black belts have offered The Gentleman one day to show his skill and at the end of the day he would put him against one of of our students that he felt the gentleman was equal to. Well the mans technique was very nice but lacked inner power and spiritual confidence and mindless effortness ( whether or not people believe in this stuff you need it to be a great Bushi). So he put him up agianst a student thats been practicing for about one year. And the man felt insulted, so he decided that he would show us that he was actually very skilled and take on the kid( 17 yrs old) and when he was done with him he would challange someone of his rank ( granted it took me 9 years to attain his rank) and two more to attain my present rank). Well after the man couldn't get a single hit on the kid, he started to get frustrated through one wrong punch got flipped with a kansetsu technique and ended up in a submission where he looked like he was about to cry. Well finally he my master told him he would have to start at the begging level if he wanted to enter the school. The man accepted and started last week. THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS BELTS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR IN YOUR OWN SCHOOL OR IF YOU PART OF THE NIHON KOBUDO SHINKOKAI, MEANING YOUR PART OF THE MARTIAL ARTS ADNMINISTRATION. AND IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU WANT TO AND CAN STILL TRAIN THEN BY ALL MEANS ONE MORE MARTIALIST IN THIS WORLD IS A GOOD THING.

As it has been stated already you are never to old, or IMO to out of shape to train,the longest journey begins with the first step.best advice i can give is to ask what are your goals? not just what do you wish to learn but what are you willing to do.I have been studying for many years,and could site many examples both good and bad of styles and sensei.

About a year and a half ago my oldest son Josh (then 7) signed up at a nearby ATA school. He loved it and soon the rest of my kids (then ages 5, 13, 15) wanted to be involved. It wasn’t long before I realized that with all the time I was spending running back and forth that I could be working out myself as well. So at age 42 I began again doing an organized martial art. I went from not being able to see my feet (let alone touch them) to a very reasonable level of flexibility now. Also, when I started I was weighing in at just under 270 lbs. Now I am right at 235 lbs and steadily dropping 2-3 lbs a month. Not much I know and not real fast but I’ve made no real change in my eating so the improvement goes to the consistent physical training I receive in class. Strength, flexibility and stamina have all improved greatly from when I started. Overall I feel better then I have in years and at this point intend to stay with it for life regardless if my kids lose interest or not. The instructor is extremely knowledgeable and proficient in several styles and offers what he calls “Combative self-defense” in addition to the Songahm style of TKD. His CSD classes deal with grabs, arm bars, joint locks, throws, takedowns, and some ground fighting. The focus is real life fighting with anything that will work to enable an escape or eliminate an attacker’s ability to continue. It seems to blend extremely well with the TKD instruction if the student applies a proper combat mindset to the training. I would encourage you to get involved no matter what your age.

Do yourself a favor and look up a school that teaches street fighting techniques or Brazilian ju-jitsu. Karate, Aikido, and all that stuff is really good against the average person but your prison hardened felon goes to "school" inside those prison walls and learns how to deal with the traditional martial arts techniques.

...but your prison hardened felon goes to "school" inside those prison walls and learns how to deal with the traditional martial arts techniques.

Like what ... or how?

Also; isn’t BJJ traditional? … and what about it as a training system makes it less vulnerable to prison trained attackers then say traditionally trained Aikido practitioners? :rolleyes:

Back