Todays problem

44 AMP said:
By your own admission (about half the time) 50% of the ammo rejected by your gauge is usable in your gun.

That does not fill me with confidence about your gauge. If it does for you, use it and be happy.
Why is this a condemnation of the gauge? The gauge (if it is a proper cartridge gauge like the EGW, rather than a case gauge like the Wilson) is intentionally made to minimum SAAMI specs. If the gun has a sloppy chamber, ammo that's just a wee tad over specs will be rejected by the gauge but still load in a sloppy chamber. That's not an indication of a problem with the gauge.

Conversely, if you find cartridges that pass the gauge but won't chamber in an in-spec barrel, then you have reason to criticize the gauge.

The gauge, as a mechanical object may be fine. Its the results that bother me. SO perhaps I should have said something like "the gauge and the way its being used..." or to be inclusive, the gauge, his reload, the way the gauge is uses, AND his gun....

Again, its probably a point of view thing, I make reloads to work in a gun or several guns, not to work in a gauge.

From where i sit, with "about half" of the rounds his gauge use rejects work in his gun. Now, yes, identifying WHY the gauge rejects them is important, so the error can be fixed, but with so many "false negatives" something isn't right.

I want a system that shows me, clearly what does nd doesn't fit in my gun(s). If every round the gauge passed fit fine and every round the gauge failed wouldn't fit, I'd be fine with that, that's the way its supposed to work.

But he said about half the fails in the gauge work in his gun. That's NOT the way its supposed to work. I can't (and won't) say from here exactly what isn't right, but something isn't right.

SO, I amend my statement to "the results you're getting don't fill me with confidence.

Today I loaded 40 S&W cartridges. I have been reloading for a while. SO I decapped,& resized and checked the fit in case gauge. All was ok. Then after charging the case and seating the bullet and then crimping with Lee Factory Crimp Die the cartridge is way too tight (wont fit) for case gauge. This is a first for me. What am I missing? Thanks
No reason for the crimp; if you must do it, use a very lite crimp.

Back