To Trade or Not - Glock for 1911?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will you really carry the 1911? Even the compact Kimbers weigh more than the fully-loaded G26. Reason says "keep the Glock", but sometimes the siren song of a new gun is louder than reason, isn't it?

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Anyone have any experience with a Colt Defender? The local range has one as a rental gun that I would have the ample opportunity to check for reliability and since it's well used (broken in) I'd probably be able to make a good trade. However, I hadn't considered one of the sub-compact styles and am afraid that 3in. bbl might loose something in the accuracy and velocity departments. Furthermore, I hate those Hogue wrap around grips and would want to change to a set of double diamond wood grips. Maybe I'll try it out over the weekend but am leaning towards taking most of your advice and saving up to buy a good 1911 style gun out of pocket. Might take a year or so I'm afraid but maybe in that time I'll have the opportunity to try out that Glock 36. Thanks for all the advice so far. From all I've heard I beleive my wish list gun would be the Kimber Pro-carry but there's no doubt that plain jain Colt Officer's would be easier to come by. Your thoughts on the chances of getting a reliable one out the box? 50/50 or worse? Thanks, JLee

JLee, buy a USED gun. A used Colt 45 will save you a hundred dollars or so over the same thing new and I can almost guarantee most of them have never had a box of shells thru them. If you can get an old GI 45 or an Argentine Sistema Colt, they also work. Any of these guns will be absolutely reliable, not 50/50 like your post said.

Use factory ammo and good mags. Use the extra money to buy ammo to practice.

------------------
Yankee Doodle

JLee- I too have had the strong desire for a 1911. I've gone to the store 3 times to get a KIMBER,as they are a dealer in that brand .Each time I came away with another GLOCK.If I don't get over wanting the 1911 I may wind up with more GLOCKS.Try to keep both if possible.You won't regreat it down the road a ways.

I would dump the glock and carry a weapon that was designed by the Mozart of firearms designing John Moses Browning!

Plus the fact that the 1911 is a single action pistol which seems to be a much more handy way of quickly acquiring your target and getting off an ACCURATE shot in SA not that 50 pound DA trigger pull crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back