To Trade or Not - Glock for 1911?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLee

Inactive
Guys, I've got a delimma here. For the past couple years I've had a Glock 26 that's been my primary carry weapon. The Glock has NEVER failed in any way and a shoot it fairly well but, I shot a friends Commander recently and realized just how much better the 1911 style SA felt especially with my small hands. In fact, the Glock felt like crap afterward and it took some time to readjust. Furthermore, I recently aquired a little Colt Mustang Pocketlight that has become my constant pocket companion and have decided that when I can wear a covering garment, I could just as easily conceal a larger caliber weapon.
All that said, I can't spend any more than a couple hundred dollars in trading up to a 1911 and with all I've read here, I wonder whether I'd be sacrificing a perfectly good self defense tool for something I can't count on. Your thoughts appreciated.

Jlee,
The G26 is a perfectly good weapon, why don't you keep it, just save up money and get the 1911. I have several custom 1911 but I still keep my G19 and recently have been carrying it more in the summer time. It's true the trigger on a Glock can't be compared to a nicely tuned 4 lb carry trigger on a 1911, but with practice, you can switch back and forth. Even Ken Hackathorn admitted that he's been carry the G19 more now, because of the weight difference (21 oz. for the G19 vs. 38 oz. for the 1911).

For CCW, I would keep the Glock. I carry a 27 when off duty. They are easy to conceal will shoot everytime.

------------------
"God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard and defend it." --Daniel Webster

I have both, a Glock and 1911's. I do not think I would sell one for the other. If I was you I would keep the G26 and save my money up until I could buy me a 1911 of my choice, which would be a Kimber.

Johnboy

Go with the Glock. I was an ardent, die hard 1911 fan. I spent extra $$ on the 1911s to make them reliable and have good sights. Handled a Glock, later got specific training on the gun and have not looked back since. The Glock does not fit my hand the best, and it certainly ain't the prettiest, but an overall review makes the Glock an optimum choice for CCW carry, personal defense or even LE duty.

If a fellow wanted to trade your glock for his 1911 - i would have made that trade with out hesitation...

hate glocks...

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Thanks for the reply's so far. Was beginning to get a low grade 1911 fever and think ya'll might broken it for a while. Logically, I know Glock is probably the better choice for carry it's just that the 1911 has that "feel" to it that's hard to get off my mind. There seems to be a general belief here that you are unlikely to get a stock 1911 at factory prices that can be considered reliable? That's a shame and I'm probably spoiled by not having to worry if the Glock will go bang every time.

Points to consider.

There is only one Glock, made in one plant from parts produced in that plant. It has a home, it has high standards of quality control, it has a support network.

The term 1911 is applied to hundreds of clones and lookalike pistols made by dozens of companies of varying or no reputation, with parts made in their plants or in countries around the world. Quality control is often non-existent; guns often are not even test fired before shipping.

Some companies say that the customer must "break in" the gun for hundreds of rounds; others respond to complaints by providing the name of a gunsmith who will (for a large fee) fix the gun. Warranty? Hah!

Further, some of these companies go into and out of business with regularity, leaving customers in the lurch.

The reputation of the Colt-Browning system was built by the U.S. military pistols (the only ones correctly called Model 1911 or Model 1911A1), and earlier Colt commercial pistols. It has not taken long for the junque clones (including some recent Colt products), combined with ammunition that is designed to look impressive rather than function, to destroy that reputation.

Jim

If I was in your situation I would not hesitate to trade the Glock for a Kimber Compact or ProCarry. A Glock 30 fits my hands very well so obviously I am not in your situation. Plus 8+1 of .45acp sounds alot better to me than 10+1 of 9mm (but 10+1 of .45acp is even better :-))

FWIW, I've had a 1911 for years and years. I've always admired the reliability of the Glocks, but didn't find them aesthetically very pleasing.

Last year I got a Glock in .357 Sig. Two weeks ago I traded in the 1911 for a rifle I wanted - I just had no use for it anymore.

I'm not an expert, but opinions are like... well... you know. ;) Here's mine:

The "right" gun for me may not be the "right" gun for you. Take all the advice you can get. Shoot both guns all you can. Weigh the factors you consider important and make your own decision.

I have a Glock 34 (9mm) and I've shot several smaller Glocks. I also have several .45s of the 1911 genre.

For me, the factors I consider for concealed carry (in order) are:
- Safety,
- Effectiveness, and
- Efficiency.

Safety:

I worry about snagging the Glock's trigger on clothing or something else and blowing a hole in my leg! The firm "click" of the 1911's safety I find reassuring. I understand arguments both ways but my personal prejudice is fairly strong. I prefer to carry the .45.

Effectiveness:

I'm from the old school. I think a .45 HydraShok is more effective than a 9mm HydraShok in the same place. How much difference is there? :) Not much! More experienced folks than I still argue about it!

Shot placement is more important than caliber.

- The first shot from my small .45 hits about as good (or bad ;) ) as the first shot from my "big" Glock 34(9mm). Subsequent shots (for me) are a little quicker and a little more accurate with the big Glock 34 (9mm) than with my .45s (but not much).

- I'm more accurate with the large G34 (9mm) than with the Government Model.

- I'm more accurate with my small .45 (Star PD) than with the small Glocks - perhaps due to familiarity with the .45s.

Efficiency:

Glocks hold more rounds than my .45s but they are bulkier. I find it easier to conceal my small .45 (and two extra magazines) than a small Glock (with an equal number of rounds). This may not be an issue for you.

Most Glocks seem to be more reliable than many .45s.

The only Glock malfunctions I have had were induced by cheap aftermarket magazines. Obviously I don't use those for CCW purposes.

The small .45 I carry has never malfunctioned with factory loads - not once. Your experience may vary.

Bottom line? I carry a .45 but I have been known to have the Glock handy.

If you've been carrying a Glock, you must have resolved the (largely emotional) safety problem that I have.

When considering which you should carry, the Glock or the 1911, remember the reliability and familiarity you have with the Glock.

If you switch to a .45 you may have to re-build the skill and confidence you have in a Glock. So, my advice would be to obtain and get "good" with the gun that works best for YOU. After all, it's your life, the lives of those whom you want to protect, and the innocent lives you do not want to endanger that are most important.

Of ocurse, you can do like the rest of us. Lie! ;).

Keep the Glock "only until you get really familiar" with your new .45! That could take years!!! :D

Sorry I got so "wordy". Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited August 04, 1999).]

Glocks are very good guns indeed: accurate dependable tools, available in a variety of sizes and configurations to do the job. 1911's are undeniably fine weapons, and at their best, some of the most accurate and potent handguns to be had. But when he chooses a personal weapon, a man is influenced by other factors than those which lead him in the choice of a power drill or socket wrench set. The personal weapon is an extension of the essential spirit of the man. Thus it must satisfy not only objective but subjective criteria. The weapon must inspire confidence, strengthen the will; and give its user a feeling of indomitability and the conviction that with it, he is better than he fears. He must not merely possess, but be possessed by it. For some, this personal sense of union with the weapon might only be felt with a Luger, or Browning HP, or Colt Python. Some might feel it with only one make of gun, or one action type. These intangible criteria are what make the simple question: Glock or 1911, quite impossible for one man to answer for another. Meditate, Grasshopper, and your answer may come to you! slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Glocks are great trade goods- I won a Glock 21, traded it for a Benelli M1, traded that for a new Kimber Pro Carry Stainless Lightweight. Everyone involved was pleased with their trades.

Hi JLee,

Don't trade.

Instead, why don't you save your money and buy a Colt 1991A1?

Several custom pistolsmiths have told me this is the model they like to customize. These make great guns and they're quite reliable out of the box...if my friend's sample is an indication.

Shoot it for awhile and decide what custom touches (if any) you'd like added. Remember, if it doesn't feed that wonder hollowpoint reliably, just load up with the standard Remington green and yellow box of 185-grain JHPs. These run about 1000 fps out of a five inch tube and were designed to fire in the old unthroated G.I. spec guns. The lead in the hollowpoint has been softened in recent years and expands quite nicely. It's also one of the most accurate loads I've tried in my .45s.

FYI...I've seen Colt 1991A1s (full size) selling for under $400 here in the Dallas area. So save roughly another $200 and you can have your cake and eat it too.

- Anthony

I agree that the term "1911" has been ruined by cheap clones. It is like judging Glocks on all the cheap Glock clones. If you used, say, a Sigma as your Glock-clone comparison, you could easily come to the conclusion that all Glocks are pieces of junk. Not all 1911's are "jammamatics" or need work out of the box, just the cheap clones.
My friends stick to the nicer 1911's like Kimbers and customized Colts etc. None of them run more than $800 total. They are all %100 reliable and very accurate. The 1911's main bonuses over the Glock, IMO, are that they are very comfortable in the hand and the trigger allows more accurate shooting. The only downside that people bring up about 1911's in general is that they make blanket statements that they are "unreliable". This is not true if you buy the better versions. Glocks are not without their problems, go over to Glocktalk if you want to read about people having problems with Glocks. I tend to prefer Glocks myself for carry, but if you buy a good 1911, like a Kimber, the odds are very high that it will work perfectly, accuratly and reliably right out of the box.

I also like the feel and pointing characteristics of the 1911. I had Arizona Response Systems do a partial grip reduction on my G35 and it now points just like a 1911 with a flat mainspring housing...the best of both worlds.

As an owner of both, I believe they are fine pistols and either one would be a good choice depending on what you wanted it for.

As a Colt 45 aficionado, I have to echo Jim Keenan's words. Especially about junque clones, which may or may not be cheap.

As for me, the jury is still out on Kimber. I know they look nice and don't rattle, but I have absolute confidence in my Colt Gummints and Gold Cups and I ain't agonna change without d@mned good reason!

If you want a nice 45 at a reasonable price, try a Remington Rand 1911A1. These were built for the gummint during WWII. There are plenty of them out there and they are affordable. They even come with cheesy looking plastic grips at no extra cost. They are a piece of history. You might also consider a 1927 Argentine Sistema Colt, which I understand was built under license from Colt on Colt machinery. They are available in great shape for around $300. Nothing I've seen in the marketplace will touch them at triple the price.

I also agree with the members that believe if you have to "fix" a new pistol, you got taken, pure and simple. No "gunsmith"* is going to lay their hooks on my Colts. They will stay stock as long as I live, unless there is part breakage. Accurize? My box-stock Colts will put 50 rounds into a 4" hole at 50 feet. I don't think they need it... So my friends, remember some things are needed and other things are for sale... Regards! BigG

*there is a cottage industry out there in 45 autos, with everybody and his brother building, accurizing, modifying, doing whatever. Also, whatever clone they are pushing is "the best". I don't buy that marketing ploy and I don't fix things that ain't broke. Nuff said!

------------------
Yankee Doodle

If the 1911 feels better in your hand, I say go for it, particularly if you can save up and not trade. My reccommendation would be one of the Kimbers, particularly the Compact Aluminum. Best 45 made for the money. I have had four different Kimbers, about 7000 rounds through them combined, not a single jam and they are consistently the most accurate pistols I have ever fired, including a couple Colt Gold Cups.

re: Kodiak's post: If a fellow wanted to trade your glock for his 1911 - i would have made that trade with out hesitation... hate glocks...

He wouldn't say that about his beloved HK's! He's a closet polymer fan.
:-)

I think the Kimber's a sweet... gonna get one. Carry the GLock? Carry the Kimber? I'll have to flip a coin... What's a guy to do?

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited August 05, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back