To the moderators: TFL history

This thread reminded me of a website called "the wayback machine". It basically archives screenshots of just about any website for different time periods. The earliest pictures of TFL I could find were from 2001.

pvGJmP0yGAcVnNKixGHNqNavvfTMYF19CiiUqic2bLOlLqjmdOdhpqpp3JXzZs3WR0Sot-_E642JYDxpZwcvuxkdWZt8xWF7kSFy-UPbiy33STQj0MlpIWcYGN4gek6aur6XUpQG6SpnkFzbTKZbVApR4bXQV7J7eEvX8ef54Bo2k3bO_ChfDKcXC1IwGoxvnF3s_xPa4ru1x7XAIYK7uXOfA7yCvq-2t1egL4Qydb7Y6HWFrYOKljTdGydm_KAxZizPLGdt6kE0-o8VbWbVnfI1t1iOUVYdkDIBhNBmqOYUlKuuYxCNxM3yJJcX2kr685QfGQbDymzZ9TQKCX9RCBOBaR4LqY_sTtjCxTEzSabOhxZSdI0LoisM5D25GSb8dqurhIK_ao68Vh0gtfyrBB6ewEDgb6ZceGathZLttWMRG6beFzU7h6TuLCydAqJpWhb9DAKkrO-SCjK3r6MFqMB8NK2vyi_oXJ5YNn_-W_wpLI6gSkinWQvr3rGrlytInYKJyyyw-GwuN0Tbpf-LVlxH7teA_6aJeaQLkjYhbI7NjydWj216_PqNDmMM4DBmvJYr26XbnZEmSUqmG9MuiSIMxDFE78M=w1741-h979-no

SC4006, thanks for mentioning that site. I will have to visit it and bookmark it. Should make for some interesting reading this winter after deer season is done and I have time to kick back and relax.

The cool thing about the Internet Archive is that it's not just made up of screen shots. The links work, and if there's an archived version of the linked page, it'll take you there.

Yeah that's true actually. I didn't really know the best way to describe what the wayback machine does, so I just called it screen shots. The links for the 2001 version of TFL that I took a screen shot of do indeed work, but there isn't too much to see. That's okay though seeing as you can find just about any old thread you want here anyways.

I think I signed up sometime in 1999 because at the time it was like the only forum around online.

I feel like I am getting old with a join date in the 90's!!

Had to pull my posting as I was thinking of another forum.

TFL & THR are both great resources.

Last edited:
I joined back in 2008. This is a great place for gun-related discussions. Lots of knowledgeable folks here on gun laws and on firearms in general. When I first started discussing guns online, I mainly used Buddy Hinton's board, Sturmgewehr. Over the years, it morphed into a place to mainly have discussions on NFA firearms - I still consider it the best place to get good detailed answers on NFA matters. That's about when I found I liked the discussions over here for all other non-nfa firearms discussions better. Although, TFL has a good NFA section as well - just not as much machine-gun related traffic.

I don't post anywhere much anymore. I mostly lurk. Has anyone else been around here long enough to remember when FOUP was a flop? This board is responsible for most of my firearms knowledge. Thanks to all! (Firearms Owners Unification Project)

I had to look up the FOUP stuff. Interesting. This was before my time. Good idea, but I wonder what happened to it?

Great thread!

I joined in 2002 and really learned a lot. I remember how disappointed I was when TFL closed. I joined THR and continued to learn. I was really happy with TFL opened again.

For me it is a great place to hang out.

I agree with Tom's assessment:

.........., but the two forums had different audiences. TFL was quieter but wiser, while THR was more vibrant and hosted a younger crowd.......

FOUP, the idea whine it was to run a full page add in USA today I think. Everyone would contribute $50. I think it would have taken like 1500 people to make it happen. Don't remember how many where members here then, but that may have been more than were members. Anyway never reached the amount and we all recieved our money back. Probably would fly today, just a little before its time.

I used to spend a lot of time on rec.guns back in the 80s. One thread topic that surfaced there annually was stopping bears, especially bears in the water. I facetiously posted about a certain gunsmith's custom M1A that had a parkerized snorkel bracket on the stock for dealing with underwater bruins, and a couple of twits took it seriously enough to PM me for the smiths name.:eek:
I greatly prefer this forum for gun matters.

Probably would fly today, just a little before its time.
Nah, still impractical to run a full page in NYT. No need to now though. A fraction of that money spent on social media advertising would get considerably greater attention.

full page in NYT.

Who really reads the New York times that would be sympathetic to 2nd Amendment rights arguments? I'm just wondering how I could possibly phrase an argument for owning whatever kinds of weapons and magazines that folks who have never seen a gun before are going to care about?

I think Gale McMillan was posting here and rec.guns.
I had been on rec.guns since 1994.
So I signed up.
TFL shut down for a long time, and when it started up it gave me a new start date.

Back