To Sling Or Not To Sling...That Is My Question

The proverbial failure to communicate...I really meant no offense. I see no reason to get touchy, all I asked was for a clarification on the "rubber band thing."

As far as LE goes I put a sling on my 590 after I took a suicidal subject down at shotgun point and had no way to secure the weapon to go hands on to help another officer cuff him. I really appreicated the sling several months later when I had to cross sling my shotgun to give first aid to the same guy after I shot him with said shotgun. Mine is from Turner Saddlery 1903 Model, well worth the money. For homedefense I use pistols. Oh yeah, he didn't make it.

Sling on an HD shotgun? Phooey! An unnecessary encumbrance, in my opinion.

I have an Eagle Industries Tactical Assault Sling for my 870, but only because training classes require a sling. Fun to play with and high speed and all, but it's never installed on my shotgun when it's in "home defense ready" condition.

I'd like to see somebody invent a retractable carry strap that stores in the buttstock, and when needed it can be extended to attach to a forward sling mount. Need a carry strap? Got one. Don't need a carry strap? Stow it in the buttstock where it's completely out of the way. But you still got it, ready for quick use, if you should need it.

Sling user here.

I may take as you train so shall you fight to the extreme, but I train with a sling, especially using it for transitions.

The sling I use is cinched up pretty tight. It's a simple matter to scoop the sling under the forend hand, and there's really nothing to catch it on in my house, it certainly isn't hanging low enough to catch on doorknobs.

BTW, I WILL NOT ATTEMPT to clear my house. Right now, it's me and my wife. Our room is the safe room, so it's basically a one sided barricade situation, with the sling being a non-factor.

Back