To Shoot or Not to Shoot.....

Rob Pincus

Okay, how about this one:

What guns do you have that are not for shooting? Or, better yet is there a gun you have that is not for shooting?

I am not a big fan of not shooting guns. When someone tells me they have a Model X for sale and it's never been fired. I ask them "What is wrong with it?" If nothing, then I think "What is wrong with you?"

I have fired everything in my collection at leat once, right down to a little black powder pocket gun which is rusty and ancient. I put a Cap on it and pulled the trigger with a small plastic ball in it. POP-the ball flew out and I was satisfied, now the thing sits on a shelf in my den.

My wife gave me a SS Colt 1911 when I was commissioned, it sits in a glass box on my mantle, but it has been fired on several ocassions.

I've hunted with my Great Grandfather's 16 gauge Side-by-Side.

I just don't like the idea of having a gun that I wouldn't shoot. It is foriegn to me, seems like going to a restaraunt and ordering a meal I wouldn't eat.

I know people disagree, let's hear it....

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 12-14-98).]

I've got to agree with Rob. I don't own any guns I won't shoot. I've run across collectors who have guns that they won't even cycle the action on for fear of leaving wear marks on the finish. What a waste! Guns are for shooting. I own one gun that was built as a collectors piece (fancy finish, custom stocks, gold lettering, etc.) that I shoot regularly. I bought it because I just happened to stumble across it at a really good price, not to collect it and hide it away. BTW- I got it cheap because the collectors wern't buying them.

Rob, I won't buy it if it can't be fired
what awaste of time and money to get one that you just look at! shooting them is where the fun is.

Right off the bat I agreed with y'all, then I remembered - my "first gun". It's an old, really old, single-shot .22 rifle. It's been shot so much that when I last shot it I got "sprinkles" across my forehead. Guys, the ole gun's wore out. It's just for lookin' at.
And look at it I do - remembering the first time my Dad took me down in the field, laid a blanket across an orange crate (remember orange crates?) and held the gun so I could pull the trigger. It's one of my very first memories - and one of my very best. The gun's not for sale.
The other ones are for shootin'.
So, with the exception of the ole Marlin, I agree 100%. Let's go shooting (and let's take the kids).

------------------

hey, that's cool with me Dennis, I don't shoot my first .22 either (something in the trigger is broken and I've never even tried to figure out what, maybe when my daughter gets older...)

I was more interested in hearing from people who have an SP89 in the back of their safe and the like. Maybe we don't have any at TFL!

------------------
-Essayons

Rob-
I was gonna mention my SP89. However, I have, on occasion fired it. Shooting it is limited by it lack of practicality in light of high cap pistols, rather than it's collectability. I only recently learned of it's value...but this won't deter me.
Rich

What did you hear Rich? I'll give you $500 for it, since your a pal.

Seriously, for christ's sake, Forget practicality for an afternoon and get shootin. 'sides, what could be a more practical away to have fun!

Better yet, get a registered select fire trigger group and a collapsible stock and rock & roll!

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 12-15-98).]

If for some reason I've gotten tired of a particular gun or it's not working the way it should I'll trade it in for a different one. If I'm not going to shoot it, I don't want it.

I shoot all my guns, however I have one Browning Hi-Powered that my Grandfather took off a German Officer in WW2. I pull it out and shoot it about once a year. I do feel safe with this weapon, but I keep it stored for sentimental reasons.

Jkump,
I have an Ortgies that I received under the same circumstances. I wish My grandfather had traded with yours! I have fired it a very few times.

I am in no way saying that I shoot all of my guns every week, just that I don't have nay guns that I won't shoot.

------------------
-Essayons

Interesting...
I must confess. I have a new gun that I have yet to fire.
A T/C Contender w/barrels in 35 Whelen and another in some 6MM wildcat.
Father in Law gave them to me on Thanksgiving. On Chridtmas he will give me the reloading data and brass to roll the ammo for them! He wanted to spread the joy across the season. Nice.
Anybody got some 35 Whelen rounds?
And by the way... What IS 35 Whelen?

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

Kodiac; I think you are being sarcastic, but I cannot pass up the opportunity to comment on this classic cartridge.

In 1922, two employees at the Springfield Armory took 30-06 brass that was still cylindrical (had not yet been necked down), and necked it down to accept a .400 bullet. This cartridge was named the .400 Whelen.

A much more successful cartridge was developed when they necked the brass even further down, to accept a .358 dia bullet. This cartridge is the .35 Whelen.

With proper bullet selection, namely a 250 gr. bullet at 2400-2500 fps., the cartridge is capable of taking all North American game, although I would prefer something somewhat more powerful if facing a large bear.

It is an old cartridge, but still a good one. Walt

Well... great grandpa's stevens 12 ga side by side sits in the gun safe. I tried like the dickens to get one last wood duck with it. I was going to mount the duck as part of a display with the gun. Kind of a tribute to four generations of hunters. I hand loaded some very low pressure 6's and took my buddy Flapjack out for that last hunt with pop's gun. Alas, my shot placement was none too good that day. I noticed a chunk of stock came off with that last shot. The labrador gave me a very stern look. He probably had more sense than I did. Gun is retired, much like grandpa. But I still look at it with very fond memories of the traditions he passed on to me.

On a separate note, a buddy has a government issue colt 380. Still has the generals marks on it. He has never fired it. He paid $50 to the general's family for it. At the last show we attended, one collector offered him $1500 for it. My buddy will not shoot this gun... But is going to find a good home for it, soon. And use the proceeds to buy several things he CAN shoot.

------------------
Bubba

Rob,

I am with you on this one 100%.

It is beyond my comprehension what joy there is in owning a gun not to shoot!

The utility of the piece is in shooting it, if it can not be shot, it is not for me.

The only exception would be an hierloom that is no longer safe to fire. Otherwise, shooting it regularly is the way to go!

yours in marksmanship

michael

Do I dare admit that I own a gun that I haven't shot? I have a Beretta EL 950 BS, .25 cal. It was a present from my wife in '86. It's just so pretty that I haven't shot it......yet. Last year I bought a Browning Hi-Power in Silver Chrome, very nice looking, gold trigger, great feel. I debated as to shoot it or just have it to look at. I'm glad I shot it. Someday I'll shoot the Beretta, just haven't gotten around to it. OTOH, I am eternally greatful to those people that do buy guns and never fire them. I have 2 Smith and Wesson Model 19's, bought unfired, that are still made the "old way", square frame, great bluing,great wooden grips. Nothing at all like the present(IMHO) POS that passes for a K-frame. I guess I agree with everyone else, I'm a shooter, then an owner, and just happen to collect guns as a means to aquire them. Some day, my grandchildren may stumble across a pristine gun, 50 years old and unfired. It won't be one of mine.

Walt,
thanks for the history of the 35 Whelen...
I really didn't know. I am pretty up to speed with police and military calibers - These hunting calibers and wildcats are new to me. I had never even heard of it before, until I went through some old Guns and Ammo magazines from years ago. ( i dont subscribe but my Dad in Law did)
The 35 is most impressive! I am looking forward to loading some! Some thing new to me I am sure is old hat to most...

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
kodiac@hotbot.com

Back