To repair or not?

Only "issue", and it really isn't one...is the metric barrel threads, it's just a matter of finding a smith that doesn't mind metric.

Actually, the 1.5mm pitch threads of the howa are so close to 16tpi that you can simply open the howa receiver up to 16tpi during truing and then have normal inch friendly threads just like a trued Remington 700.

tobpnr said:
I don't take it as a "given" that because the barrel got run over, that the action got bent.. Depends on where the tire ran over the barrel, and how much if any stress was placed on the action.

I don't take it as a given that the action is bent either, but I'm going to have it checked out before I make any decisions if it were my rifle. Especially before I started ordering parts to rebuild it. I'd sure hate to walk into a GS with new stock and barrel in hand only to find out my action is bent or pinched.

I wouldn't send it back to the factory, it will cost as much if not more than a new rifle in most cases. I really doubt they would warranty the rifle since running it over isn't a manufacturing defect. I've tried a time or two to buy factory parts to.change something on my Savage and Remington rifles (mainly stocks) and they wanted ½ as much as I spent on the rifles.

Last edited:
Handing down firearms, is steeped in American tradition.

Yeah, but handing down rifles that had been run over and mangled is not.

Before sending, you should ask the factory how much it would cost to fix, given the known problems. If it's more than a new rifle, consider getting a new one. Don't forget that shipping and handling will also cost between $25 and $100 each way.

Reminds me about the guy who had his grand-dad's ax. He'd replaced the blade twice and the handle four times, but he maintained it was the same ax!

Toss the damaged one, buy a new Howa and tell your son you got it fixed...Looks just like new!

Probably be a wash on the money spent and your son gets a newer (better?) rifle out of it.

And you will have something to grin about every time he takes it out or talks about it.

Grandpa won't care...he might even get a laugh out of it. :)

Back