to float or not to float?

I don't think any number of pressure points on a barrel will let the barrel behave the same way across all shooting positions. There's no way that'll happen. It's easy to measure how much fore ends bend from one shooting position to another. If the fore end bends and there's a pressure point from it to the barrel, the barrel bends too.

Last edited:
If the fore end bends and there's a pressure point from it to the barrel, the barrel bends too.
If the forend bends enough to change POI , you have a stock problem

If it bends differently when changing positions, you have a shooter problem

Sorry, Sniper, but the fore end will bend differently across different positions. The best military team competitors learned that back in the 1950's with Garands shooting match ammo. It's due to the external force axes and amounts across standing, kneeling, sitting and prone; slung up or not. The fore end's clamped to the barrel so its bending transfers directly. It's corrected by turning the sight knobs to get zeros in each one.

Same thing happened with bolt guns with tuners and pads in the fore end applying pressure to the barrel back then when Al Freeland's barrel tuner invention was though to be the shooting God's blessing for best accuracy. The whole idea fell flat on its face; it was removed and the barrels totally free floated.

Sorry, Sniper, but the fore end will bend differently across different positions.
I didn't say it didn't happen
I said it's the shooter's error if it does. since they control how the gun is held

On a bolt gun, if the forend moves enough to affect the barrel, it's a stock problem

I once had a CZ Varmint .22LR that I receiver-bedded, but it had a barrel stud/stock screw arrangement. I didn't like that, so free-floated it. It shot worse free-floated. Adding more bedding at the rear of the barrel didn't help.

A guy who posted on a Rimfire board developed a barrel-pressure screw with a nylon pressure point. As a "last resort", I installed it and adjusted the upward pressure and magically, it suddenly shot very well. I never used that system since, but it shows that accidents can happen.

The rifle was quickly sold, so I'll never know if it continued to shoot well.

This is a Rifle I built to play in the back yard . It has a Dougles Barrel Jewell Trigger Leupold 35-X Scope with hand made Base and Rings . It is capable of .26 at 100 5 shot

000_0981.jpg

I recently received a Rem 700 CDL, Stainless - Fluted, .270 Win and when I free-floated the barrel, noticed that it wanted to go to the left in the channel, so relieved it more in that direction, but it now clears about 1/16" on both sides and bottom. I also pillar/action bedded it and sighted it in on a less-than-ideal rest in the back of my pickup.

The Timney is due today and weather set to improve in a few days, so am hoping to have a really good range day soon.

The rifle is for walkabouts on the property and early season deer hunting. It weighs nearly a pound less than my other .270; a consideration for longer walks, especially at my age and beyond, but heavy enough for steady offhand shots.

Picher The Rifle is a tight 5.56 with a 1x12 twist . I shoot 52 gr or some times 53 gr. bullets . I do love the 223 and it is just a fun gun .

Back