Tis the season... to pocket carry.

Auto5

Winter complicates my preferred carry (IWB at 4:00 position), burying the gun under layers of clothing, and/or a heavy overcoat or jacket. Factor in a seat belt, while driving, and it becomes almost impossible to draw. This time of year, I like to pocket carry. You can put your hand in your coat pocket, discreetly gripping the weapon, without attracting undue attention. In addition, most of my winter coats and jackets have an inside breast pocket, which presents my gun like a shoulder holster, and is especially convenient when seated in the car.

Although I confess to occasionally just dropping a pistol in my pocket for short trips to the store, you really should use a holster. A pocket holster holds the gun in proper position, covers the trigger and protects the gun from lint, grit and other debris which may accumulate in the pocket. The front sight of an unprotected gun can eventually wear a hole in your pocket. If it gets big enough, your pistol can fall through into the lining of your coat. (Don't ask...). I prefer a Remora or Sticky type holster, so that I can discreetly transfer it to IWB, when I shed my outerwear. Also, check the shape of your pockets. Some taper, almost to a point, and are harder to fit a flat bottomed pocket holster. In that case, I use a regular IWB holster in the pocket, with a rough suede exterior or a few rubber bands wrapped around it to help it grip the pocket.

Happy holidays.

I will occasionally slip a handgun in a pocket of one of my heavier coats: either the right, outside pocket or the inside, breast pocket. The downside is that if you go inside for any length of time, you get hot. If you take your coat off, you have to be VERY careful to position your coat so that the gun doesn't fall out. :eek: That's why, in the main, I don't carry in a coat pocket.

This goes into a thin but stiff pocket holster. I would prefer a little heavier caliber but the truth is I hate carrying a pistol so I want the most compact and lightweight gun I can find. Short of some ridiculous little 25 this is it. Works great in jeans, and the inside pocket of a jacket. Slacks, not so much. The pockets are larger and the material softer so the thing flops around too much.

standard.jpg

I'm lucky enough to live in Texas, where I never have to wear a coat in the winter except when walking my dog at 4a. In that case, I slip my PM9 and its pocket holster into the right front pocket of a heavy coat. Normally in winter I wear jeans, a tucked in longsleeve t-shirt and belt carry the PM9 or an XDs .45, with a fleece pullover to cover it ... there's no sense in trying belt carry wearing a heavy coat; by the time I got to the gun, the thieves would have already spent my money.

I have a custom pocket sewn into all my coats. I use an IWB holster and simply slip the holster inside the custom pocket. I can then simply slide the holster IWB when I remove my coat. I also have used some special flanged bolts and fastened IWB holsters directly inside my lined denim coats.

This post just happened to catch me when I needed to swap coats and wash and redie the one that I was wearing so I changed my holsters out and took a photo.

Last edited:
I carry a Taurus M450TI when not at work 45C Silver tips. OTB holster

Attachments

• 45 C w holster.jpg
    45 C w holster.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I all ways carry my lcr 38+p in my pocket in a #4 Blackhawk pocket holster, love it, feels like my cell phone in my pocket....

Pocket carry

I use a Bianchi 152 pocket holster to carry a S&W 36 or my Taurus 85 all year around. The Bianchi pocket holster works very well in my cargo shorts in the Summer and in long pants in the Winter. Before you spend a fortune on a pocket holster, check out the Bianchis. They do not cost an arm and a leg (About $20), and are quality, heavy leather holsters. They are one of the few quality bargains.

Before my wife took it over, my S&W 637 was my go to pocket gun. It was perfect for virtually any coat pocket.

That said, my LCP is now my pocket gun but I find it will rotate a little in larger pockets regardless of holster style.

That said, my LCP is now my pocket gun but I find it will rotate a little in larger pockets regardless of holster style.
In that case, if you are so inclined, you could run a vertical row of stiching on your pocket to keep the holster from rotating.

I just drop my S&W 637 in my right front trouser pocket and carry my Ruger LCP in a case similar to a cell phone case on my belt on my left side. I do this summer or winter. Here in Alabama I seldom wear more than a light jacket even in winter. So both weapons are easily accessible. I can draw the LCP even when seated and belted in my vehicle.

2 other guns I carry from time to time. My 357 COP and Ruger 45C Mondo or Vaquero birds head (pictured) as they fit into the simply rugged pancake.

Attachments

• guns in holsters.jpg
    guns in holsters.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 71
OP is interesting. I carry at 3 o'clock (which makes all the difference I'm sure) so when driving I move cover garments out of the way and a seatbelted draw is OK.

I also like coats with buttons, and can swipe the jacket open with my off hand and get to my IWB pretty easy.

Pocket carry in winter with a jacket/heavy clothes is harder for me, I pocket carry (Ruger LCR .38) only in the hottest months.

It's neat, different strokes for different folks and all that.

Even in Michigan I rarely wear a coat. I stick with a sweatshirt and undershirt. I only carry my Smith 642 if I am making a quick run or going to church. I really feel naked without my P2000.

If I were going to be outdoors all day and wearing a coat I would carry my VP9 or FNS9 in an OWB holster under my coat.

I stopped carrying a revolver in my pocket when one day I dropped my 4" Smith M29 into the pocket of my Carhartt jacket, somehow in the quarter mile trip to the parents it became cocked. I put a finger between the frame and the hammer and carefully wiggled it out. Now it's no sixguns in the jackets unless there hammerless.

Back