Tips When Stopped by Police

I've found the ratio of jerks in uniform to be no worse than the ratio of jerks in the civilian world.

Unfortunately, most jerks in the civilian world don't have the same power to disrupt our lives, and so some people put more of a spotlight on the police.

I understand that, but most of the cops I know are good folks. I tend to start any encounter with the assumption that I am dealing with one of the good ones. That way, even if I get unlucky and draw one of the jerks, I'll have started things off on a respectful note.

But my luck is normally pretty good.

Informing an officer

I'm a Florida concealed permit holder and I'm going to be doing some car travel relatively soon. I have checked the states through which I will be passing at handgunlaw.us to see what the "inform officer" requirements are. I noticed that they are all "No" except for the Carolinas, where they are "Yes".

If I should be stopped while passing through (however unlikely that is), my intent is to show the officer (when asked for my license) both my driver's license and my CCW permit license, which I keep immediately behind my driver's license in my wallet. Does that meet the requirement, or does my informing the officer have to be verbal as well? What options could I see the officer exercise after he sees that I am a permit holder? All the states through which I will be passing have reciprocal agreements with Florida.

Informing an Officer

Well if its verbal -- I'm sure you already figured out that:

"Officer I am licenesed for Concealed Carry - do you wish me to display the firearm ?

May just possibly work out better than:

"I have a gun".

From personal experience I can tell you offering up your CCW at a traffic stop satisfies the notify requirement. At least the LEO's in 2 states didn't have a problem with it.

Now how they react to your being armed may differ considerably.

AFS

From personal experience I can tell you offering up your CCW at a traffic stop satisfies the notify requirement.

Concur. This is probably the easiest and most efficient way of informing a LEO that you are carrying. Be sure to keep both hands visible (perhaps both hands on the steering wheel).

The LEO will likely ask you if you are presently carrying and, if so, where on your body the weapon is located. Once he or she is satisfied that you are compliant and nonthreatening, he or she will likely resume the traffic stop as routine.

Or as AFS pointed out, it may not resume as a routine stop.

As I have stated in other threads, it would be in YOUR best interest to inform whether it is required or not. Wouldn't want that gun butt sneaking out for a peek when you reach for the glove box. Just advise that a Daytona Beach police gave me when I asked about this very issue

I wonder if when the officer stops you he hasn't already run your license plate and knows a few things about you ! In NY we don't have to notify the officer .

Indiana is not a "must inform" state. However, the last time I was pulled over (by an IN State Trooper BTW), one of the first things out of his mouth was to ask me if I had any firearms in the vehicle.

I don't know if the CCL comes up when plates are run or not. Regardless, I think presenting the CCL satisfies notification. I also think that notifying, regardless of whether you're in a "must inform" state, is wise. LEOs can (understandably) be a little twitchy during traffic stops and you really, really want them to know that you have a CCL before they discover that you have a gun.

I also agree that once you've presented the CCL, simply asking how to proceed seems like a good way to go. I can see several ways to go about this:

Good:
Here's my DL and my CCL, and yes, I am carrying. How would you like me to proceed?

Bad:
I have a gun!

I’ve been stopped for routine checks.

I show both.

Why not?

Never had a problem.

Not yet been asked where it is, although that wouldn’t bother me.

I was pulled over in Indiana by a trooper. I had MD plates and the first thing he asked me was; are there any firearms in my truck. I said no(I lied) and he gave me a verbal warning for speeding; I was going 21 miles over. I think if you are legally carrying I would not admit it. Concealed should be concealed, even if you have to lean over a little. If the cop knows you are carrying; I have to figure, it aint gonna be a great experience for you.

In Texas you must show your CHL (concealed handgun license) whenever (like at a traffic stop) you are required to show your DL or ID to a peace officer or magistrate if you are carrying at the time. (Texas Government code 411.205) Handing them your CHL and DL at the same time is sufficient. It does not also have to be verbal, but it could be.

Whatever you do in any state, refrain from using the phrase "I have a gun!". "Gun" is an alarm word to police and the second officer you don't see standing at the back of your car will react badly if he hears the word "gun". A good comment to make to the officer might be "That is my CHL and I currently do/do not have the firearm with me." Don't be moving your hands around while you do this. The initial part of all traffic stops is the time when all officers have to figure out quickly if you are a safe person or are an immediate threat to them going home alive that day. Do your part to helping them figure this out quickly so the rest of the stop can be completed.
I never harass CHL holders for being CHL holders. I figure those people are the good guys of the world. They have been checked. I think every law abiding adult aught to be able to go about their daily life armed if they wish.

Once a Texas officer has entered your name or DL into the system, either his computer or his dispatcher will immediately inform him you are a Texas CHL holder and will detail whether it is current or expired. That is why if you are licensed and not carrying at the time, it is good to tell them about your CHL or show it to them anyway. When they run your Texas license plates, it will tell them if your vehicle insurance is valid. A license plate check does not flag the CHL records. A DL check does.
All the above is Texas. Your mileage will vary in other states.

Have a nice day and sign here:)

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I can understand why the "I have a gun" statement would not be the best way to proceed. I carry the gun in the center console so there wouldn't be an issue with an officer seeing it.

I was pulled over in Indiana by a trooper. I had MD plates and the first thing he asked me was; are there any firearms in my truck. I said no(I lied) and he gave me a verbal warning for speeding; I was going 21 miles over.

Why on earth would you risk lying to an officer? That was not very smart.

In North Carolina the best way to handle being pulled over, open drivers window about 3", have DL and permit in hand with both hands on the steering wheel advise the officer where it is if asked and follow thier instructions. I have went thru many DL checks that way and have always been waved thru.

Pulled over.

Lights off. Engine off. Windows down. Emergency blinkers. Both hands on the wheel. Turn on light inside car (if at night). all those are a must.

Whatever the greeting the officer gives you, comply and before you even reach. Tell him/her that you have a carry permit and what they would want you to do next.

Then from there on it's all in the officers hands. Each one is different of course.

Back