Tips to stop scope creep on .22 without loctite?

So I am boderline stupid with it comes to using loctite, I seem to always make a mess of it no matter what and have had some drip onto receivers and had to work very hard to get it off on previous guns, I am having trouble with scope creep on a .22 rifle of mine using dovetail mounts, the screws are tightend properly and still having trouble, any ideas? Tired of having to resight my scope in every 50 or so shots:/ thank you.

"dovetail mounts"...do you mean grooved receiver mount?
Where part of the scope/mount is moving. Where it is clamped onto the receiver or is the scope tube moving in the mount?

They're either not tight enough or they don't fit quite right.
"...using Loctite..." Don't try to apply it directly out of the bottle. A toothpick with a drop on it will let you spread the stuff easily onto the screw threads. Only goes on the screws too. No need for it in the hole.
The circular ones are rings. The other part is the base/mount.

You shouldn't need locktite for this. I've never had an issue with a 22 doing this, not enough recoil. Either you aren't getting the bases screwed on tight enough or the bases are defective. Which rifle?. Some have the option of using grooves or screw on bases. If possible buy some that screw on

What bases are you using? Some are MUCH better at holding .22 dovetails than others. Hint - if your grooves are the least bit too shallow then nothing you get at Walmart is likely to hold. You're going to have to go to a better quality base.

Can you switch to screw on bases?

If not, you might try some friction tape under the clamps to add tension.
Loc-Tite is for screw threads and not much more.

JB Weld could be used as a last resort

As said above.. nail polish is good if your ring bases aren't gripping the dovetail right. It makes for a cheap area lock and witness mark. It is also easy to remove if needed.. acetone or nail polish remover (colored acetone w/ scent) will pop it loose PDQ.

Look up scope ring rosin, it's a powder that you put on the inside edge of the rings. Place the scope in the rings and torque the screws down properly.

Look up scope ring rosin, it's a powder that you put on the inside edge of the rings. Place the scope in the rings and torque the screws down properly.

Scope sliding in the rings isn't the problem. It is the clamps on the 3/8" dovetail sliding that is the problem. I've seen this happen - especially when the grooves aren't cut just right and combined with cheaper rings that have weak clamps. The solution is to switch to stronger clamps. I'm partial to Warne.

yup!

Yeah, what Doyle said. We suspect that the rings are "brand X" and not gripping the grooves as they should.

Try a set of name rings, the most affordable set I'd start with would be Leupold's, Doyle likes, Warnes, Nikon is making rings these days too.

You need to tell what kind of gun you have. Lots of guessing going on here and the right piece of info hasn't beer requested before the answers started pouring out. There are two different sizes for grooved receivers. There are 3/8" and 11mm. Go to this web site and see what is available and what the differences are.
https://www.diproductsinc.com/default.aspx?PAGE=Main Page
I bought a CZ and had to make sure I got the correct size. Check this out before you go any further.
Note: 3/8" = .375 and 11mm = .433"

Last edited:
NoSecondBest is correct. Got to figure out if it is American standard or European standard and match the rings to that.

Back