Tips for a first time gun owner?

PatrickBateman

Hey guys! Ordered my first handgun (HK VP9), and I should have it in hand sometime this week. I was wondering if you guys could leave me some tips, and suggestions on anything like accessories, or cleaning utilities that are a necessity when owning a gun, as long as other things that will come in handy! I have already purchased a Holster, and a good gun/holster belt. So the ultimate question: What should I buy to support my new investment?

The best investment you could ever make is to get some good training. Learn your firearm backwards and forwards. Then practice, practice, practice.

As to accessories, for carry or home defense, tritium night sights are great. A basic pistol cleaning kit, some cloths, patches, and just about any gun solvent and gun oil will do just fine. When it comes to the amount of oil, remember that less is more. You will also probably want some extra magazines on hand. I recommend a Maglula universal magazine loader. You need eye and ear protection and will probably want some type of range bag or backpack to carry all your stuff back and forth to the range.

Also, a way to reasonably secure your firearm from kids and casual house visitors is important. Yet it also needs to be readily available to you when you need it. I'm not a big fan of weapon mounted lights, but you need a reliable flashlight handy and kept with your gun when the sun goes down.

Nice choice of weaponry, by the way! You're spoiling yourself right off the bat.

Read.

Read all you can about the gun you bought.

Read all you can about other guns; in this case
meaning also revolvers.

Read all you can about ballistics and bullet types.

Read, read, read.

Watch and see what others are using; seek personal
advice.

And as others have said, spend some money on a training
course, even if only just one at your local range/ranges.

Then keep reading.

And read up on the gun laws of your state and surrounding states.

Join the NRA.

And keep reading.

Last edited:
Trigger time.

The very best way to maximize that is to learn to load your own practice ammo, and buy the components in bulk.

Learn this first . . .

Depending on which books and web sites your read there are 5-15 general rules that apply to safe gun handling.

Learn this one first . . .

Don't put your finger on the trigger until you are aimed at the target and ready to shoot. So many people pick up a gun and the first thing they do is put their finger on the trigger. Don't, don't, don't.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Learn this one first . . .

Don't put your finger on the trigger until you are aimed at the target and ready to shoot.

That'd be Rule #3.

No more or less important than #'s 1, 2 and 4.

1. Always treat all guns as if they are loaded.
2. Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you don't want holes in.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
4. Know your target and what is beyond.

Tips for a first time gun owner?

As Jimbo86 wrote:

"1. Always treat all guns as if they are loaded.
2. Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you don't want holes in.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
4. Know your target and what is beyond."

Read, read again and again, learn and believe. These "tips" are far more important than anything you could buy as a new gun owner.

You should wait until you have some experience with your new firearm and the basic rules to protect you and others before buying accessories, etc.

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Last edited:
Read the manual. Read ALL of it, even the stuff that seems unimportant or that seems to be legal small print or disclaimers. Even the safety information. Even if you've seen or heard it before. When I buy a new gun, I make it a point to read the entire manual. Sometimes twice.

The manufacturer had to pay good money to make the manual. The information in the manual was vetted by the people who designed and built the gun, who tested the gun and the people who will have to defend the company against lawsuits if something goes wrong with the gun. There's a lot of good information in a typical manual.

Warm and fuzzy thoughts

Really outstanding response here to a new gun owner.

I really and truly wish that *this* aspect of becoming a member of the gun owning club was our face to the rest of the population. The seriousness and responsibility with which we treat this right.

Order of rules depends . . .

Shooters:

Rule order is a touch arbitrary.
I teach mine the first rule as keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
If the first rule is treat the gun like it's loaded, then keeping your finger of the trigger is the first part of treating a gun like it's loaded.
If the second rule is don't point the muzzle at anything you don't want holes in . . . well, the muzzle is always pointed some where and if you are inside then regardless of where it's pointed you don't want a hole there so again, keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire seems more important.

I'm guessing we'll get some debate here . . . and that's why it's called a "forum."

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

First, get yourself a good pair of muffs such as peltors or Howard leights. Second would be a good range bag, extra mags, holster, marker, thumbtacks, tape, targets, multI tool, rag etc.

Prof, I taught that way for a couple of reasons ...

"Always/Never, Keep and Know" was the mnemonic device .... I found it was easiest for them to retain.....

...and "Always" is always ..... even if you are not holding the gun: if it's laying on a table, you don't stand in front of the muzzle .... you don't put it down where it can fall (and possibly discharge) ...... "Always is Always" .....

.... "Never" ..... see above ...... and "Always" and "Never" are easily associated words, and closely related.

Now that we can pick up the gun, because it's loaded (They always are, in our minds, right?) but that's OK, we are not standing in front of it .... and we know we can't point it at anything we don't want holes in ..... we can pick it up properly ..... with the index finger straight, preferably on some indexing point that we are going to habitually use with this gun every time..... *

...now we can identify the target, and what is behind it..... even if we hit it, we know bullets go through things...... are we good? Can we shoot now?

One of the things I did in class was have the kids bring in news reports of firearms "accidents" each week ..... and have them list rule violations. IIRC, we called that segment "Stuff Happens. Make sure it does not happen to you."

*the kids always yelled at violators if the finger on the trigger rule: "Get your booger hook off the Bang Switch!!!!!!"

The HK VP9 is really a fantastic handgun, great choice for a first handgun. Seriously great choice.

Obviously you need to take care of your HK VP9 so that it continues to work perfectly. Otis makes a nice compact gun cleaning kit that is worth checking out. You will also need cleaning patches and some cleaning and lubrication products.

For targets, consider purchasing some steel targets. Paper targets and splatter targets are nice to use to see improvement in accuracy, but hearing the ring of metal provides an additional level of satisfaction. I buy targets from Salute Products, and there are many other companies selling comparable products.

My first handgun was a Ruger 22. I hadn't taken a safety course yet, and I wasn't fully aware of the four rules yet.

One night I was admiring my (unloaded) gun and unfortunately I swept my girlfriend with it. She wasn't up to speed with being pro 2A yet and gave me an earful.

A week later I took the concealed carry safety course and corrected that issue. After that I went to the range often and with help of other knowledgeable shooters, learned the proper way to hold, fire and clean the pistol.

From my experience you will need:

Safety course
Gun cleaning solvent
Q-tips, paper towels
Full knowledge of state, local and SURROUNDING state laws.
Hours to read countless posts on this and other boards

That'll get you started.

1. Proper Training - Instructions from live professional would be good - does not have to be tacticool stuff - basic safety and handling/fundamentals. Also, there are many good videos on youtube from known professionals like Tod Jarret, Jerry Miculek, Clint Smith, etc.
2. If there are unauthorized persons (children) in the house, a lock box would be good.
3. If planning to keep it on the bedside for SD, keep the pistol in the holster to lessen the chance of hitting the trigger accidentally.
4. Cleaning Kit.

JimBob86 you make good points.

JimBob86
You make some really good points. Any "tricks" that will help beginners remember the rules is good and I love your "stuff happens" part.

I'm mostly teaching my grandchildren, and only one of them so far. He's got "Treat the gun like it is loaded." and "Keep your finger off the trigger." part down really well. We've only been out twice and he is just turning six so I think we are doing okay.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Back