Tinnitus remedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I must be part of the 40% of veterans, then. But why does it seem to be worse some times? In my case, I only notice it when it's quiet and that's a rare thing anyway; much too rare. Also, sometimes, like when I'm trying to go to sleep and it is quiet, some noises will sound very, very loud even when they're not, as if they're interrupting the normal ringing, which I admit sounds strange as described. Other normal sounds, even fairly loud ones, like a motorcycle going down the street, don't seem to produce this reaction.

On the other hand, I am surrounded by a lot of things that seem to be making a humming noise under ordinary conditions, like this computer in front of me.

Here's another hearing oddity: ever have a gun fired unexpectedly and have the sound amount to nothing more than a "pop?"

Blue... As a LONG time sufferer of of the ringing...

Things like blood pressure changes (stress) and other factors will intensify the noise or even change the tone and even hear a waa-waa-waa-waa at times...

The reason you think it is worse when in a quiet setting is very easy to understand... Surrounding sounds drowns out the ringing for one but also your brain is more likely to key in on sounds from the surroundings since they are "new" and "different" from the unceasing ringing the brain is used to hearing.

I set my TV timer in the bedroom for 2 hours to drown out the ringing until asleep... My ringing is now bad enuff that a loud fan is not loud enuff to drown out the ringing...

And ringing DOES drown out more faint sounds... I cannot hear the dogs baying a hog off in the distance like I once could... Junior will ask "You don't hear them, dad?"... "Nope, son, just the ringing in my ears...":mad:

Brent

^^^^An excellent illustration of the idiosyncratic nature of the problem^^^

Because of the way the damage occurs, the symptom manifestations are as diverse as the population: There are probably as many different symptom expressions as there are sufferers.

I also have had severe tinnitus for the past 16 years. It is constant, loud, and unrelenting. It is always there.

OTOH, I am one of those lucky people; it doesn't bother me except for the associated hearing loss (frequency-specific).

While I am encouraged by the neuroscientific advances being made in a lot of quarters, I remain skeptical about the methods used in the cited studies.

Animal analogues are always iffy and the research protocol will not be without risk.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Best,

Will

Aguila Blanca said:
Philosophical question: How do they ask the rats if they have tinnitus?

Quote from the article linked by Sundown Rider
Though it isn't possible to evaluate the subjective experience of rats, this gap impairment has been taken as an indicator of tinnitus.

The ringing in my ears does not amount to suffering or, in the quaint words of nurses, discomfort. But I am conscious of it. It doesn't seem to affect my ability to hear things but if it did, I probably wouldn't know. But as it happens, modern life comes with enough humming, buzzing and general background noise that it is of no concern. The only thing missing these days in an office environment is the sound of a typewriter.

The ringing itself is so curious as to be worthy of description, although it is hard to describe. There seems to be multiple sounds, some steady, other varying, and as I mentioned in another post, sometimes everything seems louder. I'm 65, by the way, and my army training was in artillery. Funny when I think about it but the ringing sounds almost the same as the hearing test they give you in the army.

I do notice temporary improvement from the method in the link.

My theory is that it's all in what your brain adapts to hearing.

Cover your ears with your palms and notice the change in the ringing... does it seem louder? Mine does. Now do the "drumming" technique in the link. That's pretty loud too, right?
Do this long enough, 40-50 times, and your brain adapts to this volume level.
When you remove your hands, it "seems" quieter because you have adapted to the loud noise. Within a few minutes, or less, your brain readapts and the ringing returns... at least mine does.
I suppose some sort of permanent adaptation could happen if you keep doing this, and I'll try it myself, but I doubt it.
This seems like one of those "it works if you truly believe" kind of things.

The placebo effect is real, if not quantifiable. IE, even if things shouldn't work, they sometimes will, if the subject believes they will.

So, since this method doesn't cost anything, and I can't see how it would do any harm, I see nothing wrong with trying it.

If it works, great.

If it doesn't, it at least shouldn't have made anything worse.

The only time the placebo effect is bad, is when it masks something for which there is a valid, and necessary, treatment.

gave the supplements a shot

Tinnitus is so confusing and my doctor has never had any solid answers as to how to alleviate the issue. All my ENT told me basically is to try various methods because you never know what might work. I gave LipoFlavonoid a try because of its 60 day money back guarantee. Definitely did not see results in the beginning but by the end of the 2 month period I have definitely felt a noticeable improvement, evidenced by my ability to sleep again. The ringing sound hasn't quite disappeared but it has vastly improved and the supplement is now part of my daily regimen. Worth giving it a shot even if it's your last hope, because it just might work for you. Might not, but it definitely could.

Okay, I just tried it. "Drummed" the back of my head 10 times. IT WORKED! But only lasted about 10 seconds. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back