Tick Time!

Jack Ryan

Just friendly reminder, they are out there! And they are awake now!

Get your permethrin out and treat those mushroom, turkey hunt, hiking cloths NOW!

It won't be long in the upper MidWest. I'm planning to burn as much pasture and woodland as possible this spring in an effort to "de-tick" some areas..

Haven't seen any sign yet in PA.
As long as i stay out of the thick pines, and swamp areas, i usually don't have too much issue with them.
Misquitos, and those biting flys are another story! :mad:

Hey Mobuck, you better get on it. Already pulled 2 off the cat, and I live just east of Whiteman AFB.

Semi-hard winter (for MO) and these bastards are already on the move...

"Dogs havent had a tic since I began using Seresto tic collars."

Not worried about the dogs, it's ME I'm concerned about.

Thanks for the reminder. I keep a lint roller in my car, its a great way to pick up ticks. Works well on me and my dog.

yep its time,,,got 2 off the dogs last night,,,dang i hate them little bas,,,,,buggers

couple years ago it must have been the year of the tick,,,,wasnt nothing to pick off 10-15 very evening,,,,dogs get checked every night before we go in for the day,,,,

i keep a outdoor bug candle burning on the patio table,, so when i pick them off the dogs they get dropped into the hat wax,,,works really good on their azz,,,

i like the lint roller idea,,,might have to get a couple and give it a try,,,,any particular brand??

ocharry

any particular brand??

I haven't done much research, I just use what I found at the grocery store. I roll of wide masking tape works well too. Just wrap some sticky side out around a couple of fingers and you can grab ticks and dispose of them quickly in the field.

Nasty little bug. Know of two people who caught Lyme's decease. One's suffering the other passed away from.

Good {advice} bringing to everyone attention this time of year.

i dont want to jinx myself but I make up big buckets of permetherine and soak a leafy camo netting suit in it, then i always wear that as my outer garment when hunting and ive had good luck so far keeping ticks off me. I also bought some cheap cloth gaiters and i treat them religiously and wear on my legs.

I mix it up about a quart at a time most of the year in a spray bottle for cloths, the dog, tents, dog house, the rug at the back door, stuff like that.

I keep a bottle on the porch and another hanging in the bed of the truck and just spray down my pants and shoes and hat when ever I head in to tick country. It is suppose to be good for several washings after it dries on your cloths but what the heck. I figure, what could it hurt.

Ticks are in their nymph stage now, not much bigger than the period at the end of this sentence. Here in Maine we've got more than Lyme to worry about: https://www.pressherald.com/2017/11/13/anaplasmosis-cases-surging-in-maine/

The old rule that a tick needs to stay attached to you for 24 hours to transmit Lyme is no longer reliable, for Lyme and these other diseases. The worst part from my experience is that you can't put much faith in conventional medical advice when dealing with ticks.

I chuckle at some of this. As a farmer, I LIVE outside and either don't have time to mess with preventative measures or just forget to use them. I get ticks constantly. It's a fact of life. I've had LYME disease and still suffer some of the effects of that. Still just a fact of life. No need to get freaked out over the possibilities. I could get struck by lightening with approx the same frequency.

No need to get freaked out over the possibilities. I could get struck by lightening with approx the same frequency.

I agree that freaking out isn't the best option. However I'd love to see some evidence that the odds of getting struck by lightening are as high as getting a tick borne disease. Lightening generally comes with some warning signs, and it doesn't rely on mammals for survival.

And I'm glad that you are managing your Lyme well. It isn't that easy for everyone.

Lyme disease

Here in north AL, I personally know 4 people who contracted Lyme disease. One ranger, caught it early on and was treated with no complications. The other, a turkey hunting acquaintance, diagnosed early enough that he had a struggle but came through it well. The remaining two, male and female, both college age, went undiagnosed for years and suffered major health issues, the young man was effected permanently. Lyme disease is a REAL issue, treat your clothes, inspect your person, and take no chances with a bite showing signs of the disease.

Permethrin is the agent, , get a product that uses it as an active ingredient. Treat your clothing regularly. Use a skin friendly product as well on your person in infested areas.

Don't gamble with your health.

I have been chronic Lyme since 2006--mostly because all the doctors in the first 7 years or so I saw didn't have the foggiest clue what it was or how to diagnose it. I keep going, but no treatment has worked, and I'm losing hope that anything will ever be able to cure me. When it gets firmly established in your brain and elsewhere your life becomes miserable. I pretty much know my days are numbered, you can feel your mind and body slowly losing the battle. Do whatever you can to prevent getting it--the disease itself is bad enough--but far worse is the over-all health system's overwhelming inadequacy/ignorance in diagnosing and treating reliably.

Thousands of Eskimos are laughing right now at how foolish it is to take tick precautions.

For the rest of us, if you have ticks, you can get Lyme and the odds are getting better every day. For you guys who already know it all, isn't spring suppose to be your busy time? Don't waste it here.

Treat your cloths with permethrin and cut the odds down down down. It is cheap, easy, and you need this stuff around the house for just about every other insect problem you have. Get the high concentrate and mix it down to suit the use.

Thousands of Eskimos are laughing right now at how foolish it is to take tick precautions.

For the rest of us, if you have ticks, you can get Lyme and the odds are getting better every day. For you guys who already know it all, isn't spring suppose to be your busy time? Don't waste it here.

Treat your cloths with permethrin and cut the odds down down down. It is cheap, easy, and you need this stuff around the house for just about every other insect problem you have. Get the high concentrate and mix it down to suit the use.
Sawyer's permethrin (yellow box) will do the trick--do not apply directly to the skin. Downeast Maine where I live is ground zero for one of the highest new Lyme contraction rates per capita in the US--I've hunted heavy brush infested with deer ticks (the primary Lyme carriers up here) with clothes treated with permethrin and couldn't find a single tick on me afterwards. It works. The only other thing I would add is if you get any kind of bite that is persistent and itchy (and you're not sure what bit you)--like a hard mosquito bite might feel like--AUTOMATICALLY assume exposure and seek preemptive treatment IMMEDIATELY. A low dose quick treatment of antibiotics has a near 100% probability of preventing the disease with little to no risk. All the other crap about "waiting around for signs or sending ticks out for tests" is wasting precious time allowing the disease bacteria to establish a beachhead in your body's tissues. Any medical person that advises you otherwise is not Lyme literate--and you should move on and find one that is.

I have not had a tick on me in over 25 years. Never use permanone or prometherin. I hardly ever get bitten by mosquitoes either. I can be with other folks and they get ticks and get bit. I don't know if it's how I eat, or what it is.

Back