Thumb cock DA/SA from draw?

The quote below is from the IDPA rulebook's "FAQ" section.

CAN I THUMB COCK THE HAMMER ON MY DOUBLE ACTION PISTOL? Yes, as long as you do so after the pistol is fully out of the holster and pointed safely down range.

Rosco

I second CitidelGrad! Decock after every shot and practice it. You will get to be as good DA as SA and the transition is not that big a deal either.

shiro

I suppose he can also try the so-called Israeli method, i.e. carrying the piece with the hammer down and the chamber empty and then chambering a round as he draws/aims.

That way, he bypasses the DA trigger for the first shot.

BTW, can one of the learned tell me how common this method of carry is outside of the US? For example, is it more common in Europe or the Middle East than here in the US (where it is rare)?

Skorzeny

PS. I used to have a P229 in .40S&W, but got rid of it due to its thick grip and long reach to the DA trigger, as I have small paws. All this talk about P225 is really tempting me. Is the grip circumference on P225 substantially smaller than on P229?

225 grip size

Yes, it is but it is also a 9mm single column 8 round mag too so it only stands to reason that the grip is quite a bit thinner. It has been "replaced" in America by the 239 but I do not care at all for the 239. The only caliber the 225 is available in is 9mm. Sure is a sweet shooter though.

Got mine for under 500 (tax tags title) - NIB, K-kote, night sights, 3 mags

Skorzeny,

Try the 225, you'll like it. The 8 rounds isn't a handicap if you carry two spares, you'll have a very comfortable, "high cap" ITWB carry mode. Chamber 1+8+8+8= 25rounds. The thinner grip and enhanced shape usually makes it more comfortable in your paw, esp for those w/average sized hands than the 229. Nothing against the 229, its just that grip that matters for me.

BTW, I don't mind anyone opting for SA only or whatever. I'm just wondering with all of those opinions out there for NOT thumb cocking, (even though some of us shoot both ways proficiently), what are your reasons? Or are they just subjective biases? :p

Best regards,

eq

I'm against thumb cocking for a couple reasons. First, it is fumble prone. Second, if you cock with your strong hand, you are weakening your grip on the gun.

But then I usually carry a gun which is already cocked....

M1911

Carrying 'condition 3'

Well, over here both Police and Military Police are required to carry without a round chambered. (Civilians aren't normally allowed such privilidges as CCW... Don't know how the security guards carry, I was never issued a firearm. Probably the same way, unless they're carrying a revolver.)

Oh, and as to cocking or not cocking, some people really can't shoot accurately with a DA, still are for some reason stuck with a DA/SA gun for now. Think someone with weaker handstrenght (I know my girlfriend has trouble racking the slide of my Walther if her hands are cold enough... Don't know about DA shooting yet, we haven't gotten that far yet.) who either can't afford a new gun, can't get a permission of a new gun (this is an international forum, after all, all kinds of laws out there) or is issued a SA/DA pistol. These people need to know if cocking for SA trigger stroke is safe in order to get the most out of the weapon they are stuck with. No point in telling them "get a 1911 stupid"... :p

(I do agree that you should use the off-hands thumb to cock the gun.)

Tony,

If you read my earlier posts, you'll see that I love the 1911. The SIG 225 has a similar gripping angle and pointing characteristics. I shoot either equally well. My DA pull is 7 pounds and better than most 1911s I've shot. My SA pull on the 225 is better than any SA that I've ever tried on anyone elses 1911. Its a surprise break w/no creep and feels much lighter than the 3 pounds that I've set it too. Everything about it is top notch and only at distances beyond 20 yds. does accuracy start to suffer in DA mode. For more info on the 225, my Finish friend, check out SIG Forum.com and do a search on the 225. Its the best forum for SIGS if that's what you want to learn about.

M1911,

Finally!!! Someone gave some objective reasons why they don't think anyone should thumb cock a DA!!! Congratulations!!! You win the GRAND prize!....One free years' membership to The Firing Line!!! :eek: :D
I have to agree with your reasoning about most folks and most DA pistols. Don't have those problems, but I suppose that most DAs aren't made with the ergonomics of the 225 either. I'd say those are valid reasons for most DAs and most folks, though.

Best regards to the both of you,

eq

Back