Three inch barrels -- sound off if you love 'em

Yeah, I like 'em too...only got five right now, though...a Model 60 DAO(NYPD over-run), a Model 60 full-lug w/adjustable sights, an SP101 in .32 Mag--with Weigand's "Tame the Beast" package, no less!!! BTW, I didn't do that...I bought it used!!!....and TWO Ruger Speed Sixes...an UNCATALOGED version with, YES, three-inch barrels, spurless hammers(DAO) AND consecutive serial numbers-!!! I'm presently looking for a Model 66 or 686 or 6
25 with the three-inch barrel length....mikey357
Ooops! Fergot the new 696 .44 special!!! Make that SIX three-inchers...a half-a-yard!!!

[Edited by mikey357 on 01-25-2001 at 08:27 PM]

mikey, are either of your 3-inch Speed Sixes from the special run made for US Customs or one of the other federal LEO contracts?

As for 3-inch barrels not imparting enough spin on a bullet to stabilize it, that is pure, unadulterated hogwash. Come out with me to the hundred yard range and I'll not only ring a rifle gong with a snubby, but show you nice, round holes in paper targets at that distance (i.e., no evidence of elongation or keyholing due to instability).

"Three inches does not allow enough "spin" on the projectile."
I saw Bob Munden hit a ballon on American Shooter at least 200yrds with a snub nose S&W Model 60
:cool:

LIProgun-my three-inch barreled "Speed Sixes" are SUPPOSEDLY from a contract over-run...guns that were built for the NYPD just prior to the introduction of the SP101...at least that's what I was told when I bought them...BTW, they DID come from a Law Enforcement Distributor, and they DO HAVE consecutive serial numbers...the Ruger "product code" is GS83...wonder what they are worth???....mikey357

3" barrelled GP100s

I believe that the US Postal Service outfitted its Postal Inspection Service agents with 3" GP100s at one time. I remember running across an ad in Shotgun News a number of years ago with Inspector trade-ins.

Being postal myself (no comments, please ;) ), I thought hard about getting one, just for the novelty.

Edited portion: Now that I think of it, the Rugers that the Postal Inspectors had might have been Single Sixes. I am sure they were 3" and I seem to recall that they were marked as Postal Service property or some such...

[Edited by Cougar on 01-29-2001 at 02:59 PM]

Alamo,

Contact that S/w company and see if they have any of the three inch barrels left for the mdl you need....if they dont they can tell you who they sold the last ones to.....I picked up three barrels a few years ago and they were down below 20 barrels left in that configuration att, they most likely have made more. Its not a major cost to replace a barrel on a pistol, just get a qualified smith to do the job. Or you can cut down a barrel,....which is something I avoid cause the barrels in the lengths I want are available....also dont for get if your going from a 2 1/2" barrel you will need the ejector rod, other wise the rods are the same.
With regards to the comment concerning spin or stablization of the round out of a short barrel----that is simply not true......the disadvantage you have with a 3" barrel is the a loss of appx 50 or so lbs of velocity out of the shorter barrel, then the 4 incher......a little more muzzle flash---but absolutely nothing that is not controllable----controlability is primarily a function of grip and stocks........
I have one barrel left and Im getting ready to repace a magnaported 3" on a mdl 66 with the standard one.....
.......fubsy.

Back