Three inch barrels -- sound off if you love 'em

Cougar

I'm glancing down the list of threads here and I see a bunch of people that have 3" barrelled whatevers. Why did you settle on the three inch? Why do you love it?

Personally, I have a 3" stainless Taurus 85. I wanted the three inch because it seemed to balance better in my hand than a two inch snubbie, and the longer sight radius doesn't hurt either. Also better ballistics, less muzzle flip, etc, etc, etc. Now with a set of Pachmayr compac grips it got even better! This is a IWB-carry gun and anything bigger seemed too big and bulky, and anything smaller was too hard to handle and control. It also doubles as my wife's 'nightstand gun'.

Sound off gentlemen (and ladies :) ) !

Ive changed numberous 21/2 mdl 19's & 66's to 3" over the years....i like the full length exjector stroke...that 1/2" makes no difference to me other wise....fubsy.

3INCH REVOLVERS

They are a very good/exellent compromise between a 2 inch and a 4 inch barrel. To me, you loose too much velocity with a 2 incher and a 4 inch can be bulky to carry.

I would love to have a 3" version of my
first and favorite revolver - the S&W model
66. I have the 4" barrel which is fine, but
I would sure like it in 3" just like my wife's
S&W model 65 Lady Smith. I was told at an S&W
forum that a distributor had a limited production
run of 3" model 19/66s made. Never seen one but
I'm sure it would be great.
I know there is a 2.5" available now but there is
something about that extra 1/2" inch that does it
for me.

I have a 3" M60 for use by the wife and a 3" M696 for myself. Perfect balance and they make for a handy trail gun. The word love might be a bit strong, but I sure like them a lot.
Good Shooting, Coydog

Love them
Love them
Love them
1917 yes:)
All the above reasons and who knows?

Alamo, I have one of the 3" 66's Lou Horton(?) sold about 10 years ago. With out a doubt, my best all around handgun.
Mine has a round grip w/Pachmayr compacks. I think the 3" barrel has the best balance and pointability (if that is a word) of any revolver. A good friend bought one the same time I bought mine and I've ask him to sell me his ever since. Keep your eyes open, I have seen them listed in the Gun List for sale. Hope you find one.

dk6,

I envy you. I would love to get a new one but I guess that's not possible. I'm a little leery of buying used. The next best thing would be to buy a 3" barrel and put it on my own model 66. I guess if that was an option I would have heard about it by now.

Regards,

Alamo

I have a 3" 66. I shoot it in IDPA and would carry it if Ohio ever gets CCW.
I like the full length ejector rod stroke for clearing empties. I guess I also get a kick out of the responses of fellow shooters when I take it out of the rug at a match. Everyone seems to want one. I would have no trouble selling mine if I decide to.
Mine was made during the second production run. I worked part time in a gun store and just about all of the sales staff ended up buying one at the time. My wife bought mine for me as a Christmas present.
Neil Casper

Silly & Weasal has lots of new 3" barreled guns at the performance center and in their online catalog. I like the 3" blued 586 with a 7 shot cylinder. Maybe they will recant
now that Dubyah has taken office.

I like S&W revolvers I just bought a new one, model 36 made in 1973. It shoots great. I'd like to buy a new new one.

Have a 3 inch, round butt 64, with Compac grips on. For me, 3 inch barrel seems to be more handy. Is very accurate out to 25 yds. with +P 158 gr. LSWC-HP (Winchester).
Besides, the 3 inch barrel looks cool :)

Mike M.

Hello Everyone,

Personally, I love the three inch revolvers for many reasons:

* full length ejector rod
* adequate velocity
* excellent balance
* excellent overall handling qualities
* shorter sight radius equals faster alignment of sights
* easier to carry on my 5'9" frame
* easier to draw on my 5'9" frame

My ultimate three incher right now is a blued GP-100 with the three inch barrel, full shroud, and fixed sights. I had Ron Powers zero the sights for Federal 125-grain JHPs at 25 yards and slick the action. It's hard to beat as a self defense gun. The balance and handling are exquisite! Give this one a try!

For a couple of years now I have envisioned a S&W Model 686 Plus with a three inch Douglas match grade barrel installed along with a conversion to allow the use of 7-shot moonclips, conventional speedloaders, or loose ammunition.

Drool Drool Drool...

- Anthony

For whatever reason, I love the 3" K-frames. I have a 65, a 13, and a "custom" M&P (read: chopped) in three-inch. However, I never really cared for the 3" J-frames. For my purposes, a J-frame is a PPP (Pants Pocket Pistol), and the 3" just doesn't fit.

I have a couple of Taurus's 431 with a 3in barrel, it is easier to conceal than a 4in, and I like the balance.

Yeah... I love 'em.

View
[/img]

As you might have seen me mention, I have 629 3" Combat Limited Edition, and Model 13 3" round-butt "FBI" gun.

3' barrel seems to me to be an optimum compromise between concealability and performance (velocity and accuracy).

Master Blaster,

S&W has entered into another sellout agreement, this time with the city of Boston. There is an article on it in the Feb. American Rifleman, page 72.
I'm glad I already have all the S&W's I need because I damned sure wouldn't give those traitors a dime now.

Changing the subject, I love my Lew Horton 3" 629. I'd like to get another holster for it though. They're hard to find. Can someone recommend one?

Thanks,

BG

I don't know what it is...

...but a 3" just feels so much better on a medium or large framed revolver than a 2" or 2.5", yet seems to conceal easier than a 4".

My Rossi 720 in .44 Special is my current 3" sixg... er, fivegun. ;)

3 inch Barrels

I personally have one 3" barreled gun and it was something that I was trained with when I first entered the Academy and that gun was a S&W 686 CS-1.
It was wonderful and I had to have one so I found a 686 3" for sale I had to buy it..
It is exactly like the one I trained with..
I am changing over from my 342 to my 686 as my carry gun..
I know that it is a little large but I have a custom holster for it and it just disappears on my side..
Plus I also have an extra 6 rounds that will always be with me cause its carrier is part of the holster..
Ammo and holster all in one unit..
So this way I won't be without one reload..

Back