• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

THR Outage right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being in the IT industry myself, this is the kind of stuff that gives me gray hair...

... and a tight stomach...

Derek, I would be willing to bet you have a drawer stocked with Maalox, Advil, Tylenol and Alka-Seltzer. (I wonder how I know...)

Good luck with running it down.

I have been trying to get on APS or THR all Morning and someone missed these threads when I came to TFL.

I am confused is it an attack or not? I ask because on the THR Outage thread Derek seems to think it is an attack.

I eagerly await the forums coming online.

Guys, there are nice folks out there who just flat out HATE guns. I could see one of 'em doing an attack, and then bragging to his little buddies about putting the evil gun nuts out of business.

Then again, I'm a little paranoid.

Then again, I'm a little paranoid.

Paranoia is not a mental illness.

Its a survival trait.

:D

I hope its just a munged router somewhere. Rather poor support if the data center can not be reached, unless they don't provide somebody on call 24x7

Well I'm an ignoramus when it comes to you magnificently talented computer nerds (that's a warm fuzzy), but sindawe said what I was thinking regarding who might be behind nefarious activities. One of his posts seemed to have several veiled threats.

I didn't realize what an addict I am. Why are my hands shaking and I have cold sweats.. :eek:

Well, at least my provider has their web site working. :) Voicemail message is now a recognition of the problem with a claim that a fix is in progress. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I was on APS this morning at about 9: 00am and it went flat about 9:45am, PST in Portland, OR. I then tried THR and it promptly dropped off the net. In view of Oleg’s “Mad Mole” (lemur?) my first thought was a DOS attack. Both sites are still down as of now. Given the not so anonymous nature of the net, a source (s) should be indicated given time. This does give pause to think about e-terrorism, doesn’t it?
}:)>

This does give pause to think about e-terrorism, doesn’t it?

Large commercial website like Yahoo, Google, Amazon, eBay, major financial institutions, etc., undergo DOS attacks just about every day. But they have the resources and incident response plans in place to respond so quickly to the attack that most of their users/customers never even notice. Stopping a DDOS attack is difficult, but it can be done if you have the resources ($$$$$) to do so.

So, who is this lemur fellow, what did he do, where is he, and would he like a personal visit from a jonesing THR member?

twitch, twitch, twitch...

Hi Guys

I was griping in the other thread, but it got closed.

So here I am with the rest of you guys, holding onto the gunwales of the lifeboat as the swells wash over my head and assault my sinuses with seawater.

How far are we from shore?

Hi Arf

Derek is going to find out and get to the bottom of all this, and once THR is up and running, he will share.

While we wait, as there may be some folks that have not read some of TFL before, may I suggest for your viewing pleasure:

Anyone wanna see pics of my Zimbabwe Buff hunt?

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220362

"Metal and Wood"

http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/library/Metal_and_Wood.html

The Day I Discovered That HCI Wants Me Dead
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48610&highlight=piddled

Regards,

Steve

Followup

OK, here's a look at the last 48 hours worth of data. Things seem to be running smoothly now, but that's assuming it wasn't a systemic failure at the datacenter that will happen again.

Fingers still crossed, and I'm still trying to get details on the cause...

attachment.php

Attachments

• followup.gif
    followup.gif
    19 KB · Views: 287
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back