• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

THR is down right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are so many gun forums messed up at the same time?

Here's a little song I wrote, you might want to sing it note for note. Don't worry, be happy. In every life we have some trouble. But when you worry you make it double. Don't worry, be happy. Don't worry, be happy now.

Hang in there, Derek. These things are a huge pain.

I was editing my last post on THR at approx. 1600 hrs (CST). yesterday. Well before last nights Republican debate when the site went down for me. Don't know if that helps or not.

The thought of a world with no High Road is "More than I can bear."

There ain't no fleas on TFL either:D

flatdog

Thank you for the update.

I've been using THR to keep on top of the Illinois SB1007 situation (the regular capacity magazine ban the usual suspects are trying to weasel through as we speak).

DoS means denial of service. Simplest way is to flood a website with too many packets, so the website cannot handle it. Kind of like when too many users access a website and it slows down horribly.

There are many different types of packets one can use. Different ways a website handles them.

Bandwidth cost money, so THR was shutdown until something can be done.

Distributed DoS just means multiple machines are used to launch an attack. They are more effective because they can produce more packets to flood the website.

Technically speaking, any attack that causes the website to be unable to provide functionality is a denial of service attack. But it is usually associated with flooding attacks.

My favorite explanation of DoS, DDoS and DRDoS is found on Steve Gibson's site:

http://www.grc.com/dos/drdos.htm

It even has pictures so people like me can, if not understand it, at least understand more than if it didn't have pictures.

I wonder if a DDoS thread would qualify as a "zombie" thread?

Sorry to see the attacks have not stopped yet. Thanks Oleg and Derek for all the work you do so that we no accounts can fritter a day and evening away from time to time with like minded souls....excepting fistful/scapegoat that is.:D :D :D (Just Kidding, just kidding....)

Hey, I found everybody from THR!

...and here you are :)

Reading this thread, I'm more grateful than ever to Oleg and Derek who deal with this stuff. Thanks, guys!

Springmom

THR/APS sure does attract loonies who feel they need to attack us, what is up with that?

See, now Ron is picking on me, too. :(

Give me a few minutes to rack up the post count, Ron, I'll put you back in your place. :)

OK, we're back up, and the firewall is telling me we're down to normal traffic patterns.

Feel free to close this thread, and thanks for allowing these off-topic threads, Mods. :)

Can someone explain or direct me to an explaination of what a DOS or DDOS attack consist of?

A denial-of-service (DOS) attack is when an attacker floods a server with IP packets such as ping or SYN requests. The purpose is to overwhelm either the server's CPU or it's internet connection so it can't respond to legit users.

A distributed-denial-of-service (DDOS) is when an attacker uses many computers (sometimes thousands) to launch their DOS attack. They compromise computers by taking advantage of unpatched OS bugs and/or weak user passwords and gain remote control of the machines. Then they use the compromised machines to launch DDOS attacks from all over the world.

Unfortunately, denial-of-service attacks are very effective unless you've got a whole bunch of money to spend to fend them off. DOS attacks often come with an e-mail telling you where to send $$$ in order to get the attack stopped.

Here's a pretty good Wiki article with more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back