Thoughts on the Remington 770 SPTSMN

PigFarmer

Was wondering what the thoughts on this gun are as I have only had dealings with the Remington 700 not the 770. Big price difference so I am curious if you scarifice anything in quality?

As far as bolt actions go, that would be the last one I would ever purchase, have handled and shot them and they are junk. Check out the T/C Venture

At that price point, the Savage/Stevens line is a better buy for your money.

Three area FFLs refuse to carry the 770, and the only one who does carry it is Big 5 sporting goods ---- a chain where the sales people know hardly anything about the firearms they're selling.

One FFL will not even take a 770 in for trade - which is a deal killer for me.

The shop owner ordered a couple of 770s. They sat on the shelf for months because none of the sales guys could stand to show it to a customer. They finally got given away at a hunting club dinner.

There are far, far better economy rifles out there now. Don't even consider buying a 770. It's embarrassing that Remington would stoop to put their name on such a piece of pure junk. I wouldn't have one if it were free.

Last edited:
I would look at another brand or save for a 700 if you really want a Remington.

I recently purchased a less exspensive model 700, as all I was wanting was the barrel and the action for a custom build. The cheap feeling, at least to me, synthetic stock is going in the trash.

Biker

I have to disagree that all the 770s are junk. Due to an accident a few years ago, I had to purchase a new rifle 2 days into deer season and picked up a 770. I used it that year and 1 more year. The rifle sighted in easily and would hold a 2 moa group with factory ammo. Last fall I picked up a new T/C Venture and sold the 770. I had to adjust the trigger pull because it was 6-7 lbs. from the factory but a gunsmith friend showed me how and the rifle worked fine.

Are 770s the best buy out there in their price range? No, I don't think they are. My Venture and my Vanguard are both near the same price point and, I think are superior firearms. But to call all the 770s "junk" imho is wrong.

I have to disagree that all the 770s are junk. Due to an accident a few years ago, I had to purchase a new rifle 2 days into deer season and picked up a 770. I used it that year and 1 more year. The rifle sighted in easily and would hold a 2 moa group with factory ammo.

This is a common misunderstanding. No one has said 770s are inaccurate.

They're just poorly made, with crude machining and finish. Not to mention the styling, so I won't.

Natman has a good point, they probably shoot,(although a 2 moa rifle wouldn't be going to the big dance with me) some people just don't like the looks. For the money, I would try the Savage Axis, or the Marlin,,that's only if I couldn't find a Vanguard from around 350.00.;)

Mr. Pig-farmer

If you want a remington bolt rifle, please buy the 700 model or a previously owned model 721 / 722 series. The model you are considering is a real looser !!!!

If $$$$$ are a major concern, a "howa 1500" bolt action would be a much better choice. The howa is also sold under the names:

Weatherby vanguard, mossberg 1500, & colt 1500---they are all the same rifle.

Guru1911

710/770 will work if all you want is to shoot deer once a year, There are better choices. The problem is short cuts taken to make an inexpensive product. iirc one of those changes was to make the barrel and action one piece. So barrel up grades are out of the question.

The Savage Edge is getting good reviews.

But if you really want to save money look at the used gun rack. I've had luck with Montgomery Ward and Sears guns that were just re-branded guns from major makers.

But if you really want to save money look at the used gun rack. I've had luck with Montgomery Ward and Sears guns that were just re-branded guns from major makers.

Good advice and they can generally be bought for CHEAP.

Back