Thoughts on Single Seven vs sp101 Match Champ?

I torn down my Single Seven fully to fit the plow handle grip frame and it was real easy for me. Ruger did a good job on mine and maybe took the extra care on it when making it to send it to Lipsey's for one of their special runs. Or, Lipsey went over it themselves before posting that model for sale on their site.
All in all, everything is perfect on it. Stainless is easy to blend in.

If you do go with a Single Seven, look into buying a Belt Mountain base pin for it. Particularly if you will shoot any .327 Fed Mag. The factory pin jumps, and mine continues to do so even after a return to the factory. I also echo the recommendation above to look at the GP100 in .327. I got one recently and it is a great gun. Same 7-shot capacity, but for a gun to be carried in the woods or elsewhere when faster shooting may be necessary, the double-action could be valuable. Thing I like best about the .327 (and related .32 cartridges) is how cheap they are to reload. I use Rim Rock or SNS bullets, and my guns like several bullet weights. The Single Seven is dead-nuts accurate with lead 78 grain round nose and the GP100 likes 90 grain flat points better (both .313 sized).

I hate to be "that guy" but. . .

If you like the idea of shooting mostly 38 specials. I would say you should look for a Smith & Wesson model 10 or model 15.

Between my friend and I, we have/had the following .327s:

Freedom Arms 97 in 4.25" and 6.5"

Ruger Single-Seven 7.5"

Ruger GP100 4.25"

Ruger SP101 3" with the windage adjustable sight

S&W 632-2 PRO 2"

Ruger LCR 2"

S&W Model 53 .22 Jet converted to .327 Federal

After chronographing most of the factory loads available and a bunch of handloads I would stay with a 4+" barrel. Having shot all of the above, if I didn't have any .327s today my first purchase would the the GP100 4.25"...

Gun has a MUCH better DA and SA than the SP101 can ever be made to have. It is easy to carry and there are a lot of front and rear sight blade options as well as grip options in both wood and rubber...

Bob

I tend towards the sorta unique so I'd go for the .327 Single Seven since these things are admittedly sorta toys for me, ha, ha. That and I guess I must have a small, well, never mind. And since they were mentioned, if you go for a Bearcat I'd suggest the 3.5 shopkeeper with the bird's head grip and a tube of Bengay for when shooting the little thing makes your hand cramp up. The 3.5 barrel makes it easier to remove spent casings and will therefore save you a little on the bengay.

I'm sorry but having to choose between a Single Action Ruger and Double action Ruger is pretty simple. Avoid Ruger's Single Action revolvers like the plague !

Avoid like the plague, because they are addictive. I always shoot double actions single, anyhow.

So far, the little Bearcat has found a place in my heart and the pocket of my hunting jacket. I regret that some fellas may be selling things off as they’ve been without pay for political ends, but I am helping out as I can on what I hope are good deals... it will pass and I hope to have stuff to eventually trade towards a single seven.

WHY would I want to avoid them ? Ruger single actions are good firearms, strong, affordable and trustworthy. I have had Ruger double actions, S&W and Colt along with a few other brands of double actions and I like the Ruger single action firearms the best. Please explain. Yes, you hit a nerve. And yes I have a Single Seven.

SBH

He was making a joke. Avoid " Because they are addictive".

:)

-------------------------------------------

Oh didn't read far enough
back.

Back