Thoughts on pump .357s?

I bought a Timberwolf in the mid 90s from a dealer who was the second owner. They shot it a bit and fell out of love, selling it to me for $350 at a gunshow when a new Marlin was $300 or so. At the time there wasn't the fever over banning all semi autos. I've shot the gun and can say a pump 357 is FUN. It is based on the 870 but different. The magazine as mentioned can only be loaded with the pump all the way back. The gun will feed 38s and 357s just fine. It has a generous feed ramp and cases swell at the rear. Never had one blow but always a concern. Marlin levers are not so hard on brass. A 357 rifle is at short range much more powerful than a 223 in terms of impact. 2 liter bottles almost vaporize with hollow points at 1600fps. You can push light constructed bullets fast enough for them to melt in flight with a 357 rifle so soft points are better for these if using 125s over 1500fps. IMI was a bit late to the party in terms of law enforcement transitioning from 357mag to 9mm and 40. With their intended market drying up, they gave up. In today's market however, IMI would be able to sell these as an alternative to AR15s and AKs as a homestead defender, ranch knock about general purpose rifle. The 357 beyond 100 yards is a capable coyote wacker. Sadly, nobody makes a current and modern 357 like the IMI Timberwolf anymore. IMI also made some of these in 44mag. The 357 has a very heavy barrel in deference to the bigger 44 brother. I think only about 10,000 were imported to the states and maybe even Canada so they are extremely rare but do show up for sale from time to time. A nice rifle if you can find one at a reasonable price. It would be great if Remington could reintroduce their model 25 in 327 Federal and 357 Magnum. rc

I have a pedersoli sharps 45/70 and the dealer for this rifle told me that the major complaint customers had on the lightening rifles was a cycling issue... and it is throw of the dice as to which rifle will have this problem. He did assure me that he has his own gunsmith that works on them should I ever decide to buy one and had those issue. Again everything I posted is base on heresay.

I have an American Western Arms in .45 Colt which functions fine. But I only shoot reloads, 230 grain round nose. I keep the COL to slightly less than recommend specs.

Back