Thoughts on panic buying, and high prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, I could could suck it up and swing to afford a $1200 'budget' AR-15 but that woupd exhaust nearly all my savings and I still have bills.

From your words, it sounds like you 'could' buy a budget $1200 AR today but it would wipe out your savings. The true cost today for a decent AR is $500, not $1200. Wait long enough and it will be $1200.

If you really want an AR then now is the time to buy one. If you think you may want an AR "some day" then the decision becomes harder.... $500 now or $1200 later. The real need/desire now comes into play.

If you just want an AR because you think you may be left out if you decide you want one then that is the wrong reason to buy one. Buying one "just because" may work for some but someone on a tight budget will see that as a luxury purchase at a time you don't really need one.

Of course, if you buy one now and decide you don't want it/need it/like it then (if the .gov doesn't ban it) you can certainly sell it and may make a profit. That is not a bad thing, either. So, an AR bought today is the smartest move in a volatile time unless you just don't have the cash today.

I see basic models all the time at shows selling for 500/600 sometimes under 500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's depressing how the upcoming election has everyone talking about how much prices are going to go up and how their AR/AK/Tavor/SCAR could be work 2x, 3x, 4, or even 5x the amount they paid for it in a month or two.
Recent history shows that those prices will drop a few months after the panic subsides. The Newtown shooting happened in December of 2012. For the next few months, retail supply was scarce at best, and we saw the kinds of prices you mention on the secondary market.

That situation collapsed when retail supply began to replenish in April of 2013. Retailers had $700 AR-15's back on the shelf, and for $700. Prices on the secondary market had to go even lower to be competitive. In fact, the summer of 2013 was the best time in history to get that rifle at a fire-sale price.

Will there be a post-inauguration panic? Probably. But wait it out, and it'll be a buyer's market again.

I believe this time it will be different if the wrong person gets elected. The evil black rifles and their hi cap mags will be targeted after she appoints some anti-gun SC justices. She will go the way of CA and MA as blueprints. She will also tax ammo and put further restrictions on imported firearms and ammo. She will try to choke us one law, order or action at a time. I believe this will be her #1 and main goal if she gets in. I think this will make a big difference in any potential panic that we may see in terms of length and severity. IMO, this is a totally different ball game.

I bought a magazine from CTD during their offensive gouging. I'd moved and I couldn't find a box with magazines in it. It could be at three locations hours from each other. I was more than happy to pay triple for the mag so I didn't have to spend a weekend driving around and searching for the box in multiple locations. That is called rationing by price. It is how capitalism works.

Whether there is a panic depends on the senate races. Please work hard to get pro gun representatives to congress. Preferably ones that can't be threatened by their party into making a party line vote against guns.

I'm considering building an AR on a stripped lower that cost me $60. I can buy a complete rifle kit from PSA for $400 and I don't think that is the cheapest.

I just saw an ad for a complete gun made by Aero for $400. I was once a poor college student, so I can appreciate a good deal.

Most of these $1500+ ARs are completely overrated. I unintentionally bought a $2500 AR, and it shoots no better than my $600 DPMS host AR that I built with spare parts.

I'm starting to see the panic in reloading components . Primers are getting harder to find . Some powders at the better prices are also getting harder to find . Where as a month ago just about everything was easily found .

Why don't we wait until the Congress passes those laws before you sleep in your camper outside the big box gun store waiting for the 22 LR to come in?

I'm going to close this and we can wait for the election before we have to change our diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back