thoughts on a ruger sp101

What is the general opinion regarding the da trigger pull on the Model 101? My wife and I are considering getting one for her chambered in .327 Federal Magnum for self-defense but our lgs doesn't have any in stock to try. Other revolvers we're considering are the new Colt Cobra and the Kimber K6.
I have the .327 SP101, the double action is heavy even for me a strapping young man, so for a woman I would have to believe it would be difficult. However, her likely have much smaller hands than me means the small grip may work better for her and make the trigger pull not feel as bad as it feels to me.

I would suggest getting the LCR in .327 instead and her using .32 H&R Mag. The SP101 is just subpar in quality to the LCR's, IMO.

I think the trigger feels better on the display model because it has been broken in by thousands of dry fires. New revolver triggers often take some breaking in before they really smooth out.
I agree, that dry firing many times has a lot to do with it, but I still believe that the display models are given more attention, especially cosmetically.

Of course, the only ones who can confirm that display models are not given special treatment are FFL's and I'm sure they would rather we not know how that situation works.

The double action trigger pull on mine was 12.5 pounds, if this helps. The single action was 4.5 pounds.

Solidly built, but with the single worst trigger I have encountered on any firearm (in double action). Even after a trigger job by a competent gunsmith, ours is no where close to the trigger on my J Frame.

The SP101 is both beautiful and rugged in my opinion. My only real complaint is the trigger. Smith and Wesson J and K frames have a better trigger but I still can't stand the lock hole so I don't carry one. The Ruger LCR has a wonderful stock trigger and it makes the SP101 look bad by comparison. I really wish Ruger would update/upgrade the SP101's stock trigger.

Hey Guys

I bought my 2.25 inch blue model sp101(357mag) this week and finally got to shoot it today. Some impressions:

a. Finish and fit was very good, although not in the same ballpark as a smith
b. Trigger was pretty good ,better than some of my smiths(Going by feel no guage)
c. Accuracy was surprisingly good for a snubbie with fixed sights. I was regularly hitting a 5 in metal plate at 25yds.
d.Was having some extraction issues with one chamber,noticed some burrs. It did start to smooth out after a box of ammo. Plan on giving all the chambers a good scrubbing with a bronze brush attached to my drill.

e. Grips felt good in the hand, absorbed some of the recoil of my "lite" 357 reloads.

So to sum it up, very happy so far with my purchase. Future improvements might include sight replacement(green neons) and maybe a trigger spring replacement but I did notice a smoothing of the trigger after over 300 trigger pulls (used snap caps) so will see. I'm amazed on how well balanced this gun is. It just feels good in your hand. This is my 4th Ruger and like all the others well made and just plain works.

I own two. Both short barrels. One in .357 and the other an SPNY .38 special only on the old short frame.

Put plenty of carry miles on the .357.

Just a good solid reliable revolver. Rather subdued, not flashy. Great choice.

And, under exigent circumstances, a decent impromptu impact weapon.

Back