Thoughts on a Colt Cobra 2"

I carry one with Pachmayr Compac Grips on it. Getting ready to take the plunge and bob the hammer. Over all I love it.

It was made in 1974. Paid $500 for it and it had never been fired. I had always thought I'd over paid for the little pistol, but once I started reading about them on the forums, I quickly realized I got a good dang deal cause it was actually being sold on consignment and the guy I bout it from would have wanted about $700 for it if not on consignment. Either way, I love it. Would love to have another to go with it, a pair of 3rd production Agents and 3rd production Dick Specials too. Take them if you can get a chance at them.

Last edited:
Dick

ds5-2.jpg

Just a whisker wider than a J frame, with one more round... plus it's a Colt. :)

This one goes in my front pocket when I need something smallish.

... and for some reason, I shoot this much better than I shoot J frames. Nicer trigger, that's for sure.

zIMG_0609.jpg

zIMG_0608.jpg

Colt Cobra carry

Hi Scout:

I am an old 67 year man that carries, on a daily basis, a Colt Cobra in
an intense, multi-cultural urban area. My 50 year old Cobra is in my front
pocket in an Uncle Mikes, in my belt or under a newspaper in my car. I
load it with 110 gr HdraShoks.

I use Eagle Secret Service grips, which are much more concealable that Badger or Spegel grips

The Cobra is the best concealed weapon.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
avak, can you post a picture of the SS grips that are much more concealable than Badger's?

I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I might try a set.

These are the only one's I could find on the Eagle site:
SS25Ext.JPG

They don't look a lot smaller than my Badger's, but if they are I'm sure interested!
ColtCobra010-1.jpg

You really can't go wrong with the Cobra/Agent series Colt revolvers. I've owned several over the years and are very reliable and accurage carry guns. Here are a couple of mine.
NIB Nickel Cobra

Agent with factory hammer shroud and Badger grips (Rohrbaugh R9S)

Colt Magnum Carry (.357 Mag)

Cyclic. The thread comes around every 3 or 4 years. Wonder what we'll all be doing next time it appears?

Colt snubbies rock, cant beat em! Carry my blued Agent in my right rear jeans pocket covered by a shirttail.

Thought I'd keep up with tradition (*see 2 posts above) and mention how great this pistol, the now legendary Colt Cobra really is. I would love to find some comfortable grips for my 1970 but am having a difficult time, it appears they changed in 71'...I was considering a Tyler T-grip but am not thrilled about their mail order system, any input or suggestions this late in the game would be appreciated.

I'm not a Colt fan so forgive me for asking...

Why are there two threads here about the Cobra with two very different opinions?

Is the new Cobra - new for 2017 and somehow a very inferior product to the "old Cobra"?

Is the new Cobra - new for 2017 and somehow a very inferior product to the "old Cobra"?

I find those that say "yes" to that question a bit baffling.

To me, it's an apple to oranges thing. The old Cobra was made in a way that isn't economically feasible any more, for any mass market revolver manufacturer.

The old Cobra is not replaceable if the frame stretches, and there are not too many gunsmiths left who will even mess with the lock work if you develop a timing issue.

The new Cobra doesn't have an aluminum frame, so the purists scoff at this marketing move to apply the name to a steel revolver full of MIM that is rated for +P ammo. My take is that christening the new revolver a "Detective's Special" when the detectives have all been forced to move on to various flavors of automatics makes the old DS moniker an anachronism. Any marketing whiz alive would have told Colt to keep on with the "snake gun" designations. They may one day, if successful, make a "Lightweight Cobra" with the carrying characteristics of yore.

If the new Cobra were available below its MSRP it would not be all that out of line on the price of its modern competition from Ruger and S&W. Yes, it doesn't represent any sort of "craftsmanship" at all, but those aren't the times we live in anymore. The new Cobra had to be made in a fashion that makes sense for the times or it would only be another niche product flop for a company that has been struggling for decades.

If acquired at a reasonable price, I view the new Cobra as a value. It's a classic D frame sized snubbie, but with factory serviceable lock work, and not at all yet collectable as any sort of classic or true snake gun. However, the new Cobra has not been saddled with an ILS or plastered with safety billboards like the competition either. What that all means to me is that I can buy one, run it to death, and turn my current "old" Colt D frames into safe queens/collectables.

After all, a current Corvette is nothing at all made like the first ones either, but it is a much more capable (and disposable) sports car for all of the "short cuts" made in its modern manufacture.

Six is still greater than five. I hope that the new Cobra is the start of something fun and interesting in a new line of Colt DA revolvers that are not necessarily inferior, but vastly different, yet familiar.

Hopefully, a new Diamondback, and then some flavor of .357Mag is in the works.

Last edited:
Back