Thoughts on a 22 mag

chiefsimms9

Inactive
Was wondreing what you all think of your 22 mag. Have my eye on a Marlin, just looking for a truck and tractor gun. Already have a .22 lr, .17 and a .223. Thanks for you info

Waste of time in your case since you already own a couple of rimfires and a .223 Rem. Best use of the money you could buy that .22 WMR with is buy a reloading kit and start loading your .223 Rem. Then you'll probably park your .17 as well when you start loading 50 rounds .223 for about the same price as 50 rounds of .17 HMR or .22 WMR.

I 2nd what Taylorce,22mag is a fun little round have a couple myself. But the 17hmr will do the same work.if you like it get one always good to have more rifles.

I believe it to be a wuthluss round.
Good for poachers but, IMHO, not much else.
It is more powerful than a long rifle but it's use is limited.
Ammunition is a lot more expensive than .22lr meaning it is not fun to shoot.
There is a reason why the .22lr has endured since the ice age.

You already have 2 good alternatives. The 22 WMR sits between the 17 HMR and the 223. The 17 would give you any advantage the 22WMR has over the 22LR. And if you need more range than that you have a 223. That being said, I have a Marlin bolt action 22 WMR, shoots 3/4" groups at 80 to 100 yds. Yes, ammo is at least twice the cost of 22LR, almost what 223 surplus is. But, with my 223 I am always playing around with different loads and bullets and powders etc. With the 22WMR i just shoot what I have. It is the rifle kept behind the door for that critter that happens to wander into the yard, only because lately I've seen a few coyotes around. Your choice.

Its a good, accurate little rimfire round. I like mine a lot. The ammo is kinda spendy..and so what if you already have a .22LR, .17 and .223? When did practicallity become the sole reason for buying a new gun? Go for it!

I'll chime in from the other side. I love the .22Mag, it's by far my favorite rifle round. Nearly 2000 ft/sec and 330 ft·lbs of force from that little bullet. :D The 22LR is capable of filling many uses of the .22Magnum but quite frankly, I find it not even half as much fun to shoot. My Marlin bolt action .22Mag is the favorite of my rifles (mind you I just target shoot and my rifle collection is modest). Pluses to the .22Mag ... higher weight bullets with 40 & 45gr being the common ones and 50gr available. Much higher velocities than the 22LR and with that, much higher energies. And to me, Stinger and Velocitor rounds don't really count because if your going to spend the money on those, well you might as well be buying .22 Magnum then. Greater range and less drop (thanks to the higher velocities). I bought a couple of regular .22's just for plinking, but I keep going back to the 22 Magnum and leaving the others at home. It's just that much more fun to shoot.

If you already have a .22LR, .223, and a .17HMR, then I wouldn't bother getting a .22WMR. I'd go with something different.

There really isn't a whole lot of price difference between .17HMR and .22WMR (that I have found).
.17HMR is a faster moving round (about 350-500fps), but it's about half the gr weight of a .22WMR.

I do have a .22WMR Marlin bolt action and love the rifle. I don't mind spending the money on the ammo vs .22LR.

I have to agree with "pdgion". There's a bunch of stuff that the .22mag accomplishes, the the 17hmr can't come close to. For a starter--lets take the same 100yd shot at the same target, but lets throw in a 15mph cross wind, and while we are at it lets make that target a 100 pound hog. Won't take long for the difference to show up. I shoot both these calibers--enjoy them both--but they don't compare in the woods--maybe at the bench--but not in the woods.
G

.22 ..Mag Marlin

Great Rifle, I had one and miss it. Good for hunting Rabbit . Squirrel , and Hog with baydogs. In that situation your .223 would be inapropriate.

Nothing wrong with the .22 Mag; this ol' Mossberg 640KD Chuckster will go up against the youngin's any day! Killed many a critter.

SANY0011.JPG

I would recommend the 22 mag, I have a Marlin 980 bolt 22 Mag. It is one of my favorite varmint guns bought it new in the late 1960's. Have taken down a few coyotes with it.

I have mossberg envy WWWJD.Nice rifle.
I like my .22 magnums,my 22lr,and my 17hmr.They all have their intended usage.I like the pop the .22 mag gives.Good energy and distance not so quickly compromised by a windy day.Good all around critter round.Very versatile IMO.
Here is one of my Marlins.

Attachments

• P1010085.jpg
    P1010085.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 28
thanks for the replies, have been looking at a henry 22mag lever action. Any experence on Henry rifles?

I am very happy with my Henry Golden Boy 22 Mag. Of course if you want to scope it the blued Henry is easier to do so with the grooved receiver that the Golden Boy is lacking for a more "authentic" look. I did change the somewhat hard to see buck horn and bead sights to a set of Hi-Viz that improved my shooting a lot. Especially in low light situations. Like some of my other purchases I didn't buy the 22 Mag for any particular reason. Just didn't have one, and I also wanted a lever gun so I combined the two in one gun. The only reason I chose the Golden Boy was that at the time the only blued guns I saw had the round barrel, and I liked the look of the Golden Boy's octagon pipe better. I think they now have a blued octagon barreled model available.
You can read a lot more from Henry owners here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67

.22 WMR is one of my favorite cartridges.
Combined with my Marlin 882, it makes a great package.

But... if you already have a .17 HMR, it's superfluous.
It would make a great replacement for the .17 HMR, but having both is pretty redundant. (One exception being if you have a .22 caliber requirement for any hunting seasons you participate in. - Then the addition of .22 WMR could be justifiable.)

Back