Thoughts on 260 Remington?

Draw back for some, One on the Sweed is the need for a long action.

While I realize that anything longer than a "short" action may be called long, there is a possible point of confusion here.

The Swede fits in a STANDARD length action. (.30-06/8mm Mauser length) It is longer than the short action, but is NOT the "long" action needed for H&H magnums. (also known as the magnum mauser action)

If a rifle maker offers only two action lengths, they are invariably referred to as "short" and "long". If they make 3 lengths, then its short, standard, and long, or sometimes, short, standard and magnum lengths.

I have a 260 Rem. in a Savage 11 with a 22" barrel that I love. I bought it as an antelope stopper. I've done that, but I'm starting to think that it has more overlap with my 30-06 than I initially gave it credit for.
I plan to use it for deer and maybe for cow elk if I can work up a 140 grain load that she likes.

It's soft and accurate and seems to kill stuff dead.

6.5 CM grabs all the headlines nowadays, but 260Rem is a well-rounded cartridge as well.

Hunters discovered that the round when loaded with 140 gr and heavier bullets was far more effective than 260 with 120-130 gr bullets and it has really taken off.

Its sort of funny that light weight bullets are what everyone wants to shoot because all they are concerned with is velocity. I have a book called "The Selected Works Of Finn Aagaard" and he has a couple of chapters on the 6.5 cartridges. There were several in use around the turn of the last century. It was a popular bore size for the armies then switching to smokeless powder rounds.

The early rounds all used bullets in the 150-160gr range. They gave deep penetration and were even used on Elephant. A 120gr bullet would not be a good choice for that animal. The heavy bullets gave deep, straight penetration and most of those African hunters preferred the FMJ bullets to prevent bullet break up. Something they really wanted to avoid. The early 6.5s also only shot around 2300fps. But most of the shots they took were 200 yards or less. I guess they were better at being hunters and didn't consider longer shots. Plus most all the rifles were open sighted. Those heavy bullets made the reputation of the 6.5 bore.

I have a Remington model 7 in 7-08 and have went back to 150gr bullets. I had it loaded with 120gr bullets for a young girl to use so the recoil was lighter. Really no more than a 243. But I feel better with the heavier, tougher bullets even though she did drop 4 deer with 4 shots. One bullet was recovered and all that was left was a small disc from the base. The rest were pass through's with half dollar size exit wounds.

Wyosmith, I am partial to the 6.5x284 Norma. Why you testing a 24"? Its neutered at 24. W6 is where it shines. I have one with a 30" barrel, It screams. In 26 " barrels, the 6.5x284 Norma beats the w64 Win Mag in some bullet weights.

I bought a rem sps in .260 with a 1-8 twist and 24" barrel for around 500.00 new and its a light accuret rifle. eastbank.

Wyosmith you beat me to it. Pretty rifles.

Finn Aagaard wrote about his dad using a 7x57 military rifle with a 29" barrel. Didn't seem to bother him. It was the only rifle he owned.

So 22" or 24" in 260? Serious about max point blank range for open country, but also serious about not having unweildy long rifles.

Well, my .260 has an 18.5" barrel and nothing I have ever shot cared. However, I don't consider myself a long range hunter. I never get to hunt any place with more than a couple hundred yds of visibility.

Hunters are taking elk at 700+ yards with the 6.5 Creedmoor, no reason the 260 won't kill deer at 400
Good grief..."hunters", there's a far better name for those that try these stunts on actual game animals, but it'd get me banned...

I'm probably wasting my breath anyway. I'd suggest ringing some steel way out there, or punching paper...leave the game alone or learn to stalk closer.

BTW, here are the ballistic figures for a Sierra, .264 120 gr bullet SPBT, at 3000 fps muzzle velocity, & zeroed for 300 yds.

At 1000 yds = drop: 340" (28 feet), wind 5 mph = 61" drift, Velocity 1132 fps, 370 fp-lbs of energy.

Rod

Last edited:
I'm with rodfac on this. 700 yards, with the 6.5 Creedmoor!? Really? This is not hunting. This is "sniping", or not knowing how to stalk closer to your quarry. I know all about "no ground cover" and all that, so, let's not go there. But, when did shooting across a canyon[300+ yards] come to lobbing bullets at ridiculous ranges become hunting? It's called hunting for a reason. We ain't Recon sniperator's, we're hunters. Get closer. Learn the method.
BTW, nothing to do with the .260 Rem. All "hunting" cartridges.

I'm with rodfac on this. 700 yards, with the 6.5 Creedmoor!? Really? This is not hunting. This is "sniping", or not knowing how to stalk closer to your quarry. I know all about "no ground cover" and all that, so, let's not go there. But, when did shooting across a canyon[300+ yards] come to lobbing bullets at ridiculous ranges become hunting? It's called hunting for a reason. We ain't Recon sniperator's, we're hunters. Get closer. Learn the method.
BTW, nothing to do with the .260 Rem. All "hunting" cartridges.

I'd read somewhere that in sniper training they are taught to get as close to their target as they can! I think the sniper is expected to get his target, not wound and certainly not miss!

Helllo,
I was wondering about your thoughts on 260 Remington as a plains hunting cartridge.
Logically, on a short action platform, if you want to move up from 24 cal to shoot 120-130 gr. bullets, the next available 308 spawn is 260 Remington. Basically looking at the numbers 2800-2900 fps.with 130 gr. bullets. I would really like a 22" barrel, however it appears that 24" might be necessary to get to the 2900 fps mark. However with 120 gr. more speed is available. I like 130's, but if 120 gr. has acceptable BC and SD (to me acceptable would be equal to or better than 243 100 gr. SP.) then I would be OK with 120 gr.
Do you think this cartridge has the speed and flatness to be really good on plains game including 200lb deer, antelope to 375 yds? Or too slow/ not stellar performer?
When they develope something that will outshine the 25-06 in the shooting situations you describe.........I'll replace mine.Til then 117 gr Hornady BTSP's and SST's rule the day and the game.

My information makes me agree with Wyosmith and Ratshooter.

The 6.5x55 Swede with 160 grain bullets is what I consider my 'anything' rifle. By 'anything' I mean any problem I need to resolve in my life. I live in the "Great Central Plateau" and travel coast to coast. I don't intent to go to Alaska or further,

Were I building a rifle from the ground up, I would want a 6.5x51mm cartridge (6.5x.308Win). The .308 is a commoner head size; the only reason to deviate from the Swede. However, I would stipulate the barrel to be twisted for 1:7 twist to handle the heavy bullets.

I use bolt action rifles nearly exclusively. I have no reason to fire a fusillade.

Ratshooter's comments based on 'the old guys' are based on experience. Sectional density works well on game. The laws of physics have not changed. It still works. Other than in some hunting stories, most of us regular guys cannot make a precise shot, off hand, at four hundred or more yards. I doubt most hunters can even see a game animal four hundred yards off.

Onn the other hand, if one simply wants an AR-type rifle that will shoot at targets at 700 yards and past, be my guest. Find someone having one and ask him. Just don't ask me to encourage you. Stand on your own and make up your own mind.

Were I building a rifle from the ground up, I would want a 6.5x51mm cartridge (6.5x.308Win). The .308 is a commoner head size; the only reason to deviate from the Swede. However, I would stipulate the barrel to be twisted for 1:7 twist to handle the heavy bullets.

Isn't a 6.5x.308Win simply another name for .260 or is there something else different?

here are new bullets/powders available for the .270 Win now that let it shine as a great hunting cartridge. The new Winchester Deer Season XP 130 grain seems to work especially well and I just tried it in my 24" barreled Rem 700.

I chrono-ed it yesterday at 3,100 fps and the bullet shape makes it hold trajectory quite well. Can't wait to shoot something with it.

JP

This is "New"? :confused:

I have and old Outdoor Life book "Deer Hunter's Yearbook 1984" .... there's a chart in there somewhere where they chronoed different guns/ barrel lengths .... and gave what was considered standard velocities ..... noting guns are different, individually .... 3,100 f/sec was always considered the nominal velocity for a 130 gr bullet (they got an average of 3,140 for their 24" barreled gun) .....

There might be some better bullet shapes out there now, but I remember 1984 .... the first year I hunted deer ..... the .270WIN fed a 130gr BTSP was considered the flattest shooting non magnum gun available then ..... This stuff is not "NEW" .....

Finn Aagaard wrote about his dad using a 7x57 military rifle with a 29" barrel.

I have a couple with 29" tubes .... it'd help keep the kids from getting overly excited and firing with the muzzle inside the ground blind again...... that is LOUD.

The 6.5x55 Swede with 160 grain bullets is what I consider my 'anything' rifle. By 'anything' I mean any problem I need to resolve in my life. I live in the "Great Central Plateau" and travel coast to coast. I don't intent to go to Alaska or further,

I found 200 rounds of corrosive primed ammo with 160 grain FMJ RN bullets. Price very right. I walked away as I did not want the hassle of a soap & water clean up. I decided to go back and buy the ammo and pull bullets. I dont think it should be necessary to exclude Alaska and in fact these bullets have taken elephant. Not to say ideal or even legal, but; for information - they have a penetration reputation. Poetic.

It just works out nice in life, the bigger the game and larger the bullet the closer you want to be and lower velocity is ok. And for the smaller and less significant critters the longer distance and lighter bullets will shoot flat out.

Mostly hypothetical chit chat - such is the mystique of the 6.5. I guess you can multiply that by any MM you want, 52,53,54,55 right on up the line to some absurd weatherby.

The sights on my Swedish Mauser are marked up to 1900 meters. That is 2077 yards. I believe that was with the 160 grain slugs.

Last edited:
Back