Thought on using a suppressed pistol for HD

Except doesn't it mean a new holster(s)??

I have not found a good way to carry a handgun with the suppressor attached. For a HD gun, thats not an issue.

There are quick access safes that can accommodate a pistol with a can attached.

I'm not even going to pretend that I can make an authoritative statement, but if I understand it correctly, a rimfire rifle is possibly unregulated in england. I don't recall exactly. These rimfires can have a suppressor and it's not regulated either.

You need a firearms certificate for rimfire and full bore rifles in the UK, when you are applying you would add a suppressor to the application.

I am strongly of the opinion that adding a big tube on the end of any defense makes it useless for anything but a nightstand or range gun. As a CCW it becomes a hopeless burden. Within the parameters of a gun that can be used within a few feet of where you first pick it up, whatever works works. A suppressed handgun is going to have the same limitations as a long gun has, but just not as severe.

While overall I would agree with you, but there are options. This is 1" longer than a 1911.

https://silencerco.com/media/contentmanager/content/techspec-maxim-img_1.png

I shoot both handgun and rifle supressed. As for HD, i don't see a net gain. Supressed weapons are long, cumbersome and muzzle heavy which equals potential inaccuracy. My HD preference are both my Mossberg 930SPX , and my FNX45T with a Streamlight TLR1. I have a small ranch and minimal wall penatration is my main concern in my home layout. Im not concerned about hearing issues .

I think it would be easier to just always wear earplugs when at home.

Don't have to hear the knocks on the door from the Mormons, or magazine sales, mailman, trick or treaters...Plus you then have legitimate reason for 'not hearing' what your wife asked you to do.

Here's some real world numbers from my perspective. I'm showing this because I don't think most people realize how many people are keeping a suppressed gun for home defense, and this only applies to handguns. It's still a drop in the bucket for overall guns kept for home defense, but it's growing every year.

I ran the numbers the other day on the 5 current sizes (10 models) of handgun safes that I manufacture. I ran the numbers for the last two years since I have had all five sizes since that time. I have made the SBD size safe for 5 years now and sell more every year.

All are made for a home defense application in mind, but some are other places like vehicle consoles, etc., especially the smaller ones. I can also tell you that I am the only one that makes a safe for a handgun with a silencer attached and keep it for quick access. It even surprised me that the SBD model is the #2 model I currently make and sell. It's right behind what is always the best seller and my original model.

467c984ef0c31c15d77a28f2df32bb58.jpg

Back